M1917/1918 Trench Knives

cwnorma

Thanks for posting those pics....we needed a reference on the Model of 1917/1918 Trench knife, especially the OCL since fakes exist of those.

Thanks to all.

It took me a long time to find an OCL, then, BAM! Two in one year.

Sorry, I already sold off the other OCL.

The unmarked ones above are prototypes. The walnut handle one is one of the original knives sent to manufacturers for prototyping and made by HD&S. The oak handled knife is a tool room piece made by Schrade when they were trying to get a government contract for the knife. Both came from a retired Schrade employee.

Chris

I didn't see this one up there, so if I may, add to this -- a LF&C "8-pyramid" trench knife.

Apparently they did away with manufacturing these with the extra pyramid on the hand guard pretty early in production to save time and money.

Hope this helps -- these are pretty rare. I sold this one over the summer.

post-1424-1189571338.jpg

Dan,

Actually, to cover all the bases, I need a marked HD&S knife. Anybody got one F/S? nerv0003.gif

Chris

^

Disregard. I didn't look at all the pictures before throwing my 2 cents in!

You got it pretty much covered here!!

• 5 years later...

What are the best ways to identify the reproductions of these trench knives? Are there certain makers that have been copied? When I run across them, everyone of them regardless of the maker and style appear unused and nearly new. Thanks. Joe

Dan,

Actually, to cover all the bases, I need a marked HD&S knife. Anybody got one F/S? nerv0003.gif

Chris

Here is a marked HD&S. Only trench knife in my collection...Unfortunately, not for sale, however I thought I would ad it as reference....

post-29885-0-91818900-1365608912.jpg

post-29885-0-60841300-1365608921.jpg