Coast Guard Medal Groupings in your Collection?

PaulR

Coast Guard group---

post-6147-1295799136.jpgpost-6147-1295799128.jpg

This is a most unusual group that I have been researching enough to believe that this man was in the Pacific Theater with the Coast Guard during WW2. He may have been in the Navy prior to that. SSDI info on Victor August shows two possibilities-one born in 1911 and the other in 1914. Either one would work to put him in the services for quite a long time as his group indicates. The rank insignia for Victor August shows Petty Officer 2nd Class Aviation Machiists Mate and PO 1st Class Machinery Technician. The Coast Guard Air Crew wings are hallmarked Gemsco. Have nothing definitive on the vintage of the wings. They may be later than WW2.

Web search has shown that the Coast Guard manned Loran-A stations in many places including the Pacific in WW2. They also had Loran in planes. Note that the GCM is the first type issued in the 20's and phased out in the 50's. The ribbon bar is GCM, Pacific Campaign and National Defense, with stars. It has been together a long time. Other ribbons are Philippine Liberation and Presidential Unit Citation.

The original owner said that it was in a wall hung frame when he got it from a Colorado estate sale. The campaign medals and victory medals are all slot brooch. The aviation rate patch is 4 inches wide and signed in embroidery on the back. Here is a link to a site that describes the Loran sites in WW2.

http://www.jproc.ca/hyperbolic/lora_ww2chains.html

• 3 weeks later...
Those are some really great groupings. Are there anymore out there?

Yes there are hah, I will post mine in the morning< I purchased all of the uniforms that still were around of a local man who was a CPO in the USCG during World War Two, Unfortunately I could not purchase his medals because that was something he apparently had disposed of long before I ever was around.

• 4 months later...
Yes there are hah, I will post mine in the morning< I purchased all of the uniforms that still were around of a local man who was a CPO in the USCG during World War Two, Unfortunately I could not purchase his medals because that was something he apparently had disposed of long before I ever was around.

Zachary,

I can hardly wait to see that grouping!

Yes there are hah, I will post mine in the morning< I purchased all of the uniforms that still were around of a local man who was a CPO in the USCG during World War Two, Unfortunately

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Is it possible that he reason he is missing a star on his good conduct could be from him getting into some sort of trouble early on? It is not uncommon. Is he still around to ask questions? Is his DD214 somewhere around? Very cool grouping. I can hardly wait to see more information on him. We still use that dress uniform today. Funny, huh?

What ships and units are named on the plaques and plates?

hhc1stidf, that is a great WW2 medal bar. How is the Good Conduct Medal mounted onto the bar? Is it named?

Sorry!!! I did not see you inquiry regarding the attachment of the good conduct medal. Here is a pic. Again I apologize for the delay in the response. Unfortunately it is not named.

post-6287-1327120688.jpg

Sorry!!! I did not see you inquiry regarding the attachment of the good conduct medal. Here is a pic. Again I apologize for the delay in the response. Unfortunately it is not named.

Sweet bar. Can you please post a pic of the front?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Oooooo... somethings dont need a grouping.

I was wrong... my mini bar is a little different. I place it sometime between 1975 and 1990.

post-4249-1338091199.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello Paul,

I've enjoyed this thread, it has brought to light some outstanding groups posted by members. I'd like to add the two that I have. This first group is exactly as it came to me, a very unusual mounted group in that CG Pistol Expert has had the name obliterated. It does not match the name on the Rifle Expert. It seems unlikely that it was a put together since I can make out a lot of the engraving that was "buffed" off, it would serve no purpose to help sell the group, especially for the price it fetched. I have wondered if there was a rivalry between 2 expert shooters, with a bet that they would turn over their medal to the winner of a specific match...a bit of a stretch perhaps but I do like the idea :)

The second group I've posted before, but I'd like to add it to your thread. I do hope that even more will be added in the future!

Best wishes to you!

Joe

post-48324-1348607763.jpg