Coast Guard Medal Groupings in your Collection?

PaulR

Lets try that again!

That looks like Vice Admiral Crea's medal bar sans the Homeland Defense Distinguished Service Medal. She is a really great person and role model. I am kinda shocked to see her bar already in collectors hands, as she just retired around five years ago. Are any of the medals named? I am wondering if this was an extra set? Sorry for the questions.

Either way, it is super cool. If you ever decide to part with it, I am definitely interested. Want a teenager? LOL

Thanks Leatherwringer! I have had it for a year now. I have since found an original photo that I was able to add to the display. Believe it or not, his photo was on Ebay. I cannot wait to see your additions.

Here is a group to a USCG Chief Boatswain’s Mate who was lost at sea from the Cross Rip Light Vessel #96 on station at Cross Rip, Nantucket, Massachusetts, during a severe storm on February 13, 1946. He is listed in the Tablets of the Missing in Action or Buried at Sea at the East Coast Memorial in New York City. The medals and paper work should speak for his career in the USCG. I would however, like to mention the jeweler’s made VALOR medal he received from the town of East Brewster, Massachusetts. He received a letter of commendation from the USCG for his part in the rescue of seven Civilian Conservation Corps youths, marooned on floating ice in Cape Cod Bay for 22 1/4 hours after they had been cast adrift when ice broke from the mainland at Brewster. The USCG boat crew, in a dory, voluntary risked their lives on an ice pack to rescue the CCC youths. As you can see from the commendation letter they didn’t receive medals from the USCG because they didn’t actually go in the water. However, the Distinguished Flying Cross was presented to both Staff Sergeant Donald E. Hamilton and Corporal Frank B. Connor, U.S. Army Air Corps, for extraordinary achievement while participating in an aerial flight, as a member of the 96th Bombardment Squadron, in a flight from Concord, New Hampshire to East Brewster, Massachusetts and returned on the night of 9 February 1936. Having been notified that seven civilian conservation Corps enrollees were stranded on an ice floe in Cape Cod Bay, Staff Sergeant Donald E. Hamilton and Corporal Conner served as members of the crew of an airplane which took off during the hours of darkness, under dangerous flying conditions due to weather, and successfully located the men, dropped a message to them, and reported their location, thereby being chiefly responsible for saving their lives. The town of East Brewster must have commissioned silver medals for the USCG boat crew. He also received another letter of commendation during WW2 for saving lives

Dick.

post-9487-0-38758200-1409501127.jpg

post-9487-0-68372200-1409501135.jpg

post-9487-0-66904700-1409501143.jpg

post-9487-0-42508500-1409501151.jpg

post-9487-0-74105300-1409501157.jpg

post-9487-0-88590900-1409501186.jpg

post-9487-0-84264400-1409501211.jpg

post-9487-0-04282700-1409501227.jpg

post-9487-0-79954800-1409501247.jpg

Garth Thompson

That looks like Vice Admiral Crea's medal bar sans the Homeland Defense Distinguished Service Medal. She is a really great person and role model. I am kinda shocked to see her bar already in collectors hands, as she just retired around five years ago. Are any of the medals named? I am wondering if this was an extra set? Sorry for the questions.

Either way, it is super cool. If you ever decide to part with it, I am definitely interested. Want a teenager? LOL

I thought the bar looked familiar. I graduated OCS with Vivian she is a class act, first female C-130 aircraft commander, first female CO of an Air Station (St Pete).

Garth Thompson

Medal group to John Martin who served in the Austrailian Imperial Forces in WW1. Mr Martin started his military career in the Canadian Militia, emigrated to Australia served in thearrant CarpenterA.I.F, in WW1 then found himself in the US Coast Guard where he retired as a Warrant officer, Carpenetrs Mate. I have a large file on him including a letter written in the late 1920's to the Australian government requesting his WW1 medals. The location of his British WW1 Victory medal is unknown. A unique dual service group.

post-83-0-49583300-1409510189.jpg

post-83-0-75427800-1409510202.jpg

post-83-0-95387300-1409510219.jpg

Garth Thompson

Group to GMC Merle E McCormickMember of the winning team for the Admiral Russel E Waesche Rifle Team Trophy. GMC McCormick had 5 awards of the Good Conduct Medal.

post-83-0-74688500-1409511036.jpg

post-83-0-61199800-1409511051.jpg

collectsmedals

The medals were attributed to Vice Admiral Crea when I got them several years ago, back while she was still on active duty. They are not named and I have no solid evidence connecting them to her. The story I got from the person I bought them from was they were an extra set that had been left when she had another set remounted to include a new medal. They do look like hers, but like many things in this hobby who can say for sure.

That last group is a stunner. I have always loved the embroidery on the Admiral's boards. It is interesting that he made it to Vice Admiral with only one LOM awarded. He must have retired before the CG Commendation Medal came out.

The medals were attributed to Vice Admiral Crea when I got them several years ago, back while she was still on active duty. They are not named and I have no solid evidence connecting them to her. The story I got from the person I bought them from was they were an extra set that had been left when she had another set remounted to include a new medal. They do look like hers, but like many things in this hobby who can say for sure.

When we compare the medal bar in your collection to some of the photos I have seen with her wearing her bars, I feel comfortable with that claim.

This is a message to Cookieman. I store my medals in the wooden display cases that when the cover is closed, the medals are held in place by the glass. I used to use that foam. I had a Black Widow Navy Cross group stored for several years. When I went to take the medals out, the foam had broken down and stuck to the back of all the medals, there was a chemical breakdown and it basically trashed the back of all the medals. I buy my cases from Indian River Display Case Company in Ohio and they sell foam backed velvet. I would hate to see your beautiful CG group trashed.

Wayne

• 8 months later...

Here is a nice basic Vietnam War grouping. Sadly, unnamed. There are only about 8000 Coast Guardsmen who are eligible for the Vietnam Service Medal.

post-4249-0-03370000-1430963592.jpg

Here is a better image. I tried to edit the last post to replace the one I posted, but the forum auto response said that I could not do this.

post-4249-0-05212300-1430963781.jpg

Here is a nice group to BOSN4 Hanna. Included with the bar and insignia were documents, including a death certificate. He passed away shortly after his retirement.

post-4249-0-78561200-1430963851.jpg

• 4 months later...
  • 3 years later...