Coast Guard Medal Groupings in your Collection?

PaulR

I have not seen too many Coast Guard groupings posted? I know that they cannot be all that rare.

I would like to see what you have for Coast Guard Medal or Ribbon bar groupings. If you have the award cititations, those are welcome too!

:lol:

No one has any CG medal bars in their collections? Are they that rare or is there just no interest? :nerv0003: :crybaby:

Paul - couldn't leave you hanging so here is my personal favorite... It is an attributed mini group with initials on the first style commendation medal. I will have to get the officers full name to you later, b/c I can't find my file on him right now. He retired as a Captain and was on the TANEY when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Sadly, I could have had almost all of his uniforms, but didn't have the space for them and settled on the mini group. I will see about posting other groups this weekend.

post-233-1295465110.jpg

Paul - couldn't leave you hanging so here is my personal favorite... It is an attributed mini group with initials on the first style commendation medal. I will have to get the officers full name to you later, b/c I can't find my file on him right now. He retired as a Captain and was on the TANEY when Pearl Harbor was attacked. Sadly, I could have had almost all of his uniforms, but didn't have the space for them and settled on the mini group. I will see about posting other groups this weekend.

post-233-1295465154.jpg

Here's a group of shooting awards awarded to a woman who was a member of the SPARS (USCG Womens Reserve) during WW2. Most of the shooting awards are non-military, but the key item is the named wrap brooch USCG Expert Pistol Shot Medal. Can't be too many of these named to a woman!

Here's the total group.

post-322-1295482971.jpg

best I can do for now.... this Coastie is still looking for his medals

003.jpg

His ribbons do not match his cutterman badge and time in. Do you have some history on the EM1?

1. He should have a four bronze stars on his good conduct medal(because of the Air Force).

2. In order for him to be wearing that Cutter Pin(five years of sea time, after passing a Cutterman Board), he should have a Sea Service Ribbon with a

Bronze Star(four-seven years of sea time).

He must have been on an Ice Breaker for a bit to get the Arctic and Antarctic Service Medals.

What years was he in?

By looking at these bars, it seems as if a vast majority of them have prior service time with other branches of the military. I have noticed this during my time in. The CG has about 25% of it's members with prior service.

You guys have some great bars. I also really like the SPAR set! I have not seen a SPAR shooting competion award before.

That WW2 mini bar is really special. I wish that we kept the initial Commendation Medal pattern. Can you please make a close up scan of the pendant? When did it change? I really do not like the current design. It looks simple and cheap. :- (

Leatherwringer
His ribbons do not match his cutterman badge and time in. Do you have some history on the EM1?

1. He should have a four bronze stars on his good conduct medal(because of the Air Force).

2. In order for him to be wearing that Cutter Pin(five years of sea time, after passing a Cutterman Board), he should have a Sea Service Ribbon with a

Bronze Star(four-seven years of sea time).

He must have been on an Ice Breaker for a bit to get the Arctic and Antarctic Service Medals.

What years was he in?

By looking at these bars, it seems as if a vast majority of them have prior service time with other branches of the military. I have noticed this during my time in. The CG has about 25% of it's members with prior service.

You guys have some great bars. I also really like the SPAR set! I have not seen a SPAR shooting competion award before.

That WW2 mini bar is really special. I wish that we kept the initial Commendation Medal pattern. Can you please make a close up scan of the pendant? When did it change? I really do not like the current design. It looks simple and cheap. :- (

This is my Dad!! He spent his first 4 years of service in the Air Force and the rest in the Coast Guard. He was in from 1959 and retired in 1979. He was never big on the order of his ribbons or medals. Now that he has given me his uniform, I am going to rework the ribbons to the correct way they need to be worn. I figured he was missing a star on his CG GCM I need to check his records as he did serve on Ice Breakers to see if he was winter overed at either pole!

004.jpg

This is my Dad!! He spent his first 4 years of service in the Air Force and the rest in the Coast Guard. He was in from 1959 and retired in 1979. He was never big on the order of his ribbons or medals. Now that he has given me his uniform, I am going to rework the ribbons to the correct way they need to be worn. I figured he was missing a star on his CG GCM I need to check his records as he did serve on Ice Breakers to see if he was winter overed at either pole!

Is it possible that he reason he is missing a star on his good conduct could be from him getting into some sort of trouble early on? It is not uncommon. Is he still around to ask questions? Is his DD214 somewhere around? Very cool grouping. I can hardly wait to see more information on him. We still use that dress uniform today. Funny, huh?

What ships and units are named on the plaques and plates?

hhc1stidf, that is a great WW2 medal bar. How is the Good Conduct Medal mounted onto the bar? Is it named?

Here is My unresearched Named USCG medal group, Not sure but I am thinking WWII AAF with possible OSS connection (French CG/Order Liberation/Liberation Medal) and then post war USCG Lt. Commander. This is the first on the research list when I retire.

My best Coast Guard Group belonged to Lieutenant Commander Peter Marcoux who served from 11 July 1927 until 30 September 1949. As you can see in the first picture he never received an award or decoration but did see a lot of service throughout WW2. His biggest distinction is that he became a Double Distinguished Shooter (Rifle & Pistol) in 1939. He was a member of the USCG Rifle & Pistol Team in the late 1930s, whick I will address in subsequent postings to this thread.

Next few pictures are of Marcoux's Coast Guard Long Service Medal - It is interesteing for a couple of reasons. It is engraved on the reverse to "PETER MARCOUX / U.S.C.G. / JULY 11, 1934 / CAPE MAY / AIR STATION." Coast Guard aviation was in it's infancy at this time, so an aviation related medal is really nice. Marcoux was also awarded two bars to his GCM before being commissioned - "RIFLE & PISTOL DETACHMENT / JULY 11 1937" and "JACKSONVILLE DISTRICT / 11 July 1940.". It was CG policy that a recipient's medal or bar would be engraved to reflect the unit assigned at the time of the award date. Since the Rifle & Pistol Detachment only existed for a portion of each year, this has to be one of the scarcest bars awarded.

post-14361-1295651540.jpg

post-14361-1295651558.jpg

Picture of Marcoux (center) as part of the USCG Shooting Team -Notice he is wearing the CG Shore Establishment Cap badge on his campaign hat, and that each team member is wearing a CG Shield on the left shoulder.

post-14361-1295652468.jpg

post-14361-1295652542.jpg