86th Blackhawk grouping

Troy13

I see some are interested in the 86th, so I dusted this set off. It belonged to a gentleman by the name of Donald J. Payne. I have not done any research on it. If anyone can do any "quick" looking, I would appreciate it. (More photos to follow)

Group shot.

post-1304-1189386615.jpg

Good Conduct medal, brass, ribbons, money belt (at very bottom), compass, 2 manuals, etc.

post-1304-1189387257.jpg

86th patch, Red Cross bag (???), 2 different sets of dog tags.

post-1304-1189387416.jpg

This is a third set of dog tags. Attached to this set was a St. Benedict medal. Also in the items was this little wallet that notified all that Donald was Catholic. I have never run across any religious items attached to dog tags before. I have only seen it in the movies. When I first got these, I just looked at them for a long time.

post-1304-1189387828.jpg

Camp Howze booklet, belts, red cross bag (apron) in box. The black book to the left of the Camp Howze booklet is a Dutch-English translation and the silver looking case is its cover.

post-1304-1189388078.jpg

Clipping found in Camp Howze booklet.

post-1304-1189388119.jpg

The inside top of the box the majority of the items came packed in. Can anyone translate this or does anyone recognize it? Also, I think the braided knot on the left was used to tie Hitler Youth scarfs (?).

post-1304-1189388343.jpg

Misc items also included.

post-1304-1189388404.jpg

Nice lot! I have one or 2 sets with the religious attachment to the tags. It's interesting indeed! I also noticed that while I was at Airborne school, a lot of people started getting the religious emblems for their tags. We all got pretty religious during jump week!

Nice lot! I have one or 2 sets with the religious attachment to the tags. It's interesting indeed! I also noticed that while I was at Airborne school, a lot of people started getting the religious emblems for their tags. We all got pretty religious during jump week!

Thanks Schottzie. Congrats on getting your wings. I remember reading the threads when you were going to attend jump school, but I lost track of it. It is amazing how "religious" some become when they feel the pressure mounting.

Looks like he was from Blue Earth Minnesota! Pretty cool...I bet Kurt B. could help you do some research on him since Blue Earth is just west of him on the highway....

By the way, that book ain't Dutch - English, but German - English.

"Deutsch" is German for "German".

"Nederlands" is Dutch for "Dutch".

Very interesting grouping.

I have a set of dogtags with Protestant religious symbols attached.

Erwin

By the way, that book ain't Dutch - English, but German - English.

"Deutsch" is German for "German".

"Nederlands" is Dutch for "Dutch".

Very interesting grouping.

I have a set of dogtags with Protestant religious symbols attached.

Erwin

You know, if I would have paid more attention in school, I would have realized that. Thanks Erwin. :lol:

:lol: Is ok.

Btw, "Miniatur Wörterbuch" means "miniature dictionary" in German.

It's an nice addition to the grouping.

Erwin

You know, if I would have paid more attention in school, I would have realized that. Thanks Erwin. :lol:

Here's my attempt at a rough translation (feel free to laugh and make corrections!):

"Demand the only Austrian (druckknopf? pushbutton?) known world-wide" PRYM'S ZUKUNFT" Zukunft translates to future. Now what is "Prym's Zukunft"? Here is what we find from their website (http://www.prym.com/prym/proc/docs/0H04001LZ.html) :

Prym is Germany’s oldest family owned business, with a reputation for high-quality metal products, from sewing needles to electronic components.

To shed more light on the beginnings of the company and better understand the pioneering developments which ensured our success and paved the way to the 21st century, the William Prym corporate archive has been researching the company’s history for decades.

The firm’s history dates back to the 14th century, when a man named Johann Prym is reported to have worked in the metal industry in 1340.

Despite these early documents, the company is said to be founded in 1530, when records indicate that Wilhelm Prym started up business as a goldsmith in Aachen. However, in 1642 the Protestant Prym family lost its guild rights in the Catholic city of Aachen and moved to Stolberg along with many others in the same situation. This is where the company’s head office is still found today – nobody could have dreamed back then that the company would enjoy such a long and successful history, one day employing over 3,800 people worldwide.

In the 19th century, Prym developed the first machines to produce finished brass, iron and steel products, while still continuing to produce copper and brass products in the traditional style. Under the management of William Prym (1811-1881), the company prospered and grew.

With the development of mass production, our product range has continued to grow bigger and better. We have also long been a pioneer in the field of marketing. In fact, “Prym” and “Prym's Zukunft” (Prym’s future) were among the very first brand names of the 19th century, while the stag with a needle in its antlers (featured in the family’s coat of arms) is one of the most famous trademarks in the needlework industry.

Today, we offer an even wider range of products: from press fasteners and knitting needles to contact pins and high-tech microelectronic components, our products can be found almost everywhere you look.

Over the centuries, our respect for tradition combined with our commitment to innovation has ensured that we are always able to satisfy the needs of our customers and our staff.

Kurt Barickman

Contact me offline as I pass through Blue Earth regularly and have done research there many times and I used to teach high school there and know many of the locals.

Kurt Barickman