Wearing vintage uniforms

B.A.R.gunner

I can agree with all of the above. Military surplus has great utility, however some kids take it overboard. I have two instances where I experienced this.

The most entertaining of the two was that I was in a mall with a marine corps buddy of mine when we saw this kid in his early teens decked out in a baggy, wrinkled set of USMC dress blues. My buddy says "hold on, there is no way that any self respecting marine would show up in that get up" So we approach the kid who tries to lie and say that he is part of the first marines. Upon closer inspection we realize that his ribbons are from Vietnam and that there are so many more wrong things with the uniform. My buddy tore into the kid, took his hat and jacket turned them into the mall police. The kid said that he thought it looked cool and that’s why he did it.

The next was at a local bar on veterans appreciation night. I was at a table with a bunch of other combat veterans, when some turd walks in decked out in his ROTC class A uniform with ribbons and shooting medals all jacked up and mis-spaced. Not to mention he was wearing a flat cap (which hasn't been worn in the army in years). So I let it go at first, he wasn't bothering anyone other than looking like a total fool among other veterans in the place. Until I walk up to get a drink and he’s telling people about how he just got back from Iraq and is talking all sorts of war stories. Needless to say I confronted him and proved that he was lying and made him look like a fool in front of everyone. Then asked what ROTC he was part of and sent a letter to his CO with a cell phone photo printed out and sent for proof. There is not one thing in this world that pisses me off more than people taking credit where it is not due, and also giving the military a bad name.

Still being in college I see ROTC cadets doing stupid stuff all the time, I pride myself on telling them how they are disgracing the uniform and the army. that being said, if you are simply using gear and uniforms as surplus than that’s totally cool in fact I encourage it because who else is going to use it. But the moment you start putting together full uniforms and tossing on medals and name tapes than its just wrong.

When I'm not at work I usually wear 3-color desert bottoms, chocolate chip bottoms, or ACU bottoms. I used to work at a place that implemented a dress code and made males wear button shirts. I started wearing the long-sleeve navy shirts with the plastic buttons with fouled anchors on them. A couple of the shirts still had crows on them. That's about the closest that I come to wearing anything with insignia on it. If a shirt has chevrons or a rate on it, I'm probably not going to take it off. However, I don't wear anything with ribbons or the like.

And I agree with kammo. Wearing military stuff is cool.

-dg

I'm an Eagle Scout, and I used to wear a 50s US Navy deck jacket while camping in the desert with the Scouts. It was warm in the 40-50 degree range and I pretty much beat the tar out of it. However, when we were backpacking and weight was of the essence, I had a couple of down jackets that I alternated over the years. They were MUCH warmer and MUCH lighter to carry. Other than a couple of us who wore military-style "boonie" hats while backpacking (the wide brim was great for keeping one's ears, neck, and nose sunburn-free) I can't remember anyone with any significant military surplus gear on our trips (and I was with a "large" and very active troop - we regularly had over 30 people on our backpacking trips).

During normal weekly troop meetings, the only variation you could have in your uniform was your dress shoes (they had to be black and shined...otherwise, style was fair game). The remainder of our uniform had to be official BSA "issue" - trousers during the winter, and shorts with those hideous knee-high red-topped socks during the summer. While camping in the desert, we could wear jeans w/hiking boots and lose our merit badge sash, but otherwise, we were in BSA-issued uniforms there too (with the exception of the occasional military-surplus jacket, like mine).

All of the rest of our gear was non-military in nature. We backpacked extensively from May through August each year, and 99% of the gear we used was civilian. It was much lighter and overall, performed better in rugged climates than military surplus did. That was 25 years ago (I actually still have my old JanSport backpack...everything else got chucked a couple years ago...yuck!) :pinch:

Maybe my troop was the exception to the rule, but we never really had the need to wear military surplus. I could have easily gotten another jacket to wear in the desert...I had plenty of options for civilian ones.

Now for my personal opinion as far as the reason for the thread is concerned...I don't mind people wearing military surplus gear while they're out camping. I can't buy the fact that it's any better or excessively cheaper than civilian gear though...there are plenty of thrift stores that sell good civilian gear, and eBay is a great resource for cold weather gear (it sells for more now than during the summer, but still) I've bought most of my cold weather running gear off of there and it's cheap...North Face, Helly Hanson, Nike...you name it. Why pay full price when you're just going to sweat in it anyway??? :pinch:

As far as wearing military items in general...I draw the line at damaging the items. For much of what we collect, normal wear WILL damage them (I could probably tear the backs and shoulders out of most of my WW1 Chief's uniforms if I really tried...but I won't!) but other things, they can withstand average wearing. I personally wear some of my old uniform jackets and coveralls in the garage while doing work. They're covered with paint, grease, you name it, but I'd rather beat them up than some of my good civilian gear. Would I go to a dance party wearing a fully patched, original Ike jacket...um...no! (Of course, that really isn't "en vogue" anywhere I'd go anyway...) :rolleyes:

Just my thoughts...

Dave

One of the surplus stores in my area sells a lot of used military gear and uniforms to local scouts. I've seen it myself several times, where a Scout Master will come in and buy items for a scout whose parents can't afford stuff for their own child. The Councils down this way are very laid back and this guy, who banned military items for wear. would have been politely asked to leave.

Since my time in the Scouts (early 80's), I have NEVER seen a scout wear a Class A, an Ike, or any other type of dress uniform. All I have ever seen is woodland BDU, 6-Color (popular during and after DS), and a smattering of jungle jackets and ERDL's. Most of the time, it has been just the military pants worn with t-shirts or military boonie hats.

What it boils down to is this leader looks down on military camouflage as being cheap. If he wears top of the line North Face gear, he probably looks down on military camouflage and thinks it portrays the Boy Scouts in a poor light. Maybe someone should enlighten him and let him know that North Face was/is a popular brand with the US Specal Forces and has been used extensively in combat operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. :thumbsup:

A bit off topic, but we were always told in teaching college that you HAD to wear expensive clothes to get respect as a teacher. I always laughed and told them you earned the respect of the students by treating them with resepect and dignity. My instructors didn't like that idea for some reason. Going out into the classroom, guess who was right? I'll give you a hint.....it wasn't them.:lol::lol:

I agree with Delta .

There is a MASSIVE difference between wearing utilitarian military pieces (M-65s , BDU items ,gloves , scarfs, boonie hats, vintage cammo , flight jackets ,deck jackets ) and wearing dress items with the awards etc , that is crossing the line , we are all in agreement of that right ?

owen

I've got repro stuff that gets worn all the time. Not a problem. But the 'real deal' stuff never makes it past the front door. I'm in the woods and I don't want to have what the birds leave on top of my truck to land on my mint M43,

by mistake.

But yeah, by all means. I've got a jump jacket from Sportsman Guide that gets worn quite a bit, and a pair of those

Hong Kong repro tiger stripe pants that gets to go to Wal-Mart all the time.

I agree with Delta .

There is a MASSIVE difference between wearing utilitarian military pieces (M-65s , BDU items ,gloves , scarfs, boonie hats, vintage cammo , flight jackets ,deck jackets ) and wearing dress items with the awards etc , that is crossing the line , we are all in agreement of that right ?

owen

Absoutely, without a doubt. :thumbsup:

I agree with Delta .

owen

I think everyone would agree with you on this, Owen. In all honesty, I don't think any Scout Master I know would have ever allowed a scout to wear something like that.

Arch

I've got repro stuff that gets worn all the time. Not a problem. But the 'real deal' stuff never makes it past the front door. I'm in the woods and I don't want to have what the birds leave on top of my truck to land on my mint M43,

by mistake.

But yeah, by all means. I've got a jump jacket from Sportsman Guide that gets worn quite a bit, and a pair of those

Hong Kong repro tiger stripe pants that gets to go to Wal-Mart all the time.

I would love to see a "faces of Walmart " picture of you in your tigers !!!

Well since boy scouts are supposed to 'be prepared', how about they use the best stuff around?! Military gear is rugged, long-lasting and meant to be used. I use/wear military items almost daily, whether it be a peacoat when its cold, a khaki web belt to keep my pants up or a P-38 to open cans. The stuff is useful and works- stick with it!

I would love to see a "faces of Walmart " picture of you in your tigers !!!

Ain't it the truth. The first time a friend e-mailed me some of those, I thought he was playin a joke on me.

When I found out it was real, I couldn't believe people like that would be allowed to walk around.

When I was is scouts in the late 1950s-early 1960s I wore my uncle's old Ike and field jackets on spring and fall scout camping trips. I also wore a cousin's B-3 jacket for our annual January Klondike Derby. I see nothing wrong with using surplus military field gear. It's certainly well made and usually ideal for the camping and other field activities scouts engage in.

Now...if one is talking about wearing someone else's military badges and/or decorations, that's a whole 'nother thing and, in my eyes, would be very, very wrong.

Too Much WW1 Militaria

When I was in scouts in the 50's, just about everything we used was WW2 surplus. As someone who spent 27 years in the Army, I have no problem with anyone using gear for this, as long as it's stripped. A lot of it is good serviceable gear, why not get use out of it?

Jack

I think he's just a control freak and needs to have some "time out" until he grows up.

Reminds me of that old joke about the difference between the Scouts and the military ...

Simple answer .

The wearing of military stuff is cool .

A big ROGER on that one ... the reason I joined the military was to find out what what it REALLY meant to wear these 'cool' threads - now I know!

BTW, I agree with the majority/all of opinions here - the scout leader is a d1ck ...

• 2 months later...

I realize this is an old post, but being an Eagle Scout I had to post my thoughts. When I was a Boy Scout (1984-91) we had a dad who was an asst. Scoutmaster that was a Vietnam Vet, and still in the reserves that was a QM at the local Reserve Unit. He pulled up one Friday night in a deuce and a half with footlockers full of gear. Tents, tarps, stoves, shovels, fatigues, boots, cots, ponchos, and even helmets and started handing the stuff out. The reserve unit made the switch to woodland BDU's and his CO told him to donate everything in the storage room. Most of the gear was Vietnam issue but there was plenty of Korean & WWII gear as well.

After that AWESOME Friday our troop was better equipped than some small countries. We used to wear the OG-107 fatigues with the red BSA beret. We looked good, uniform and sharp and all the other troops commented on us. Surplus gear is cool, no doubt about it.

My Grandfather was a Scoutmaster, my Dad is an Eagle scout, I am an Eagle Scout & Asst. Scoutmaster, and my son is 1st Class at the moment. We all use/used surplus gear as well as all the others in our troops. A scout is thrifty and surplus gear certainly is that.

Like someone mentioned earliere in this post, most of the other Dads look forward to seeing what uniform pieces I wear while at summer camp. It's usually a mix of Vietnam & WWII fatigues and field gear. I never dissappoint them with my selections. LOL

Lastly, Class A's (especially with medals & ribbons) were not allowed for apparent reasons. However, we did (as scouts) wear stripes & name tapes. I see no harm in kids doing so, hell my Vietnam reenacting jungle jackets have my name on them and I wear them out and about. But I would never wear the full uiform out in public unless I was at a Vietnam event. Mixing surplus clothing with civies is obvious that you are not military, but wearing a full uniform out in public is something I am not comfortable with, even past uniforms (WWII & NAM). I tried to serve but was unfit, so scouting and reenacting have supplied me with my military fix.

I'm glad this thread got bumped to the top. Very interesting topic! As a vet and the father of a Cub Scout, I see no problem with using military surplus gear. The only problem I have is using *identified* items and/or uniforms. A surplus e-tool and the one Uncle Joe used to dig a foxhole in Belgium in 1944 are 2 completely different animals. Our museum parade unit dresses in uniforms from the Revolutionary War to modern day and we use repro items whenever possible and none of the few original items are identified to a veteran (except for one of our board members who was a USAF SP in Baghdad in 2003 and wears his own DCUs in parades).

I was in Scouts for over 10 years (Life for Life :crying:) and can't recall anyone using military gear, although at the time, I probably didn't take notice.

My personal opinion; I don't see what the issue is? As long as you are not trying to portray yourself as something you're not (e.g. wearing medals as already stated), then it only makes sense to use it.

Again, as previously stated:

A Scout is Thrifty - What cheaper alternative to quality commercial clothing for outdoor use is there than mil surp?

Be Prepared - You can't be anymore prepared if you're using clothing or gear specifically designed and tested by the government for a specific use, such as making it possible for a soldier to endure the elements.

In any case, as already said, the uniforms and gear previously used by the Scouts were designed after military gear. This is due to the fact that the founder of scouting, Robert Baden-Powell, came up with the idea of scouting based on his time in the British Army. With that said, Scouting already has its roots in the military, so why try to change that?

Finally, as long as the Scouts are wearing their uniforms at the appropriate times (scout meetings, colors at camp, etc.), then what they wear as "civilian" clothes, as long as it's not offensive, shouldn't matter. The only alternative in my eyes is if the national council makes it a rule, or if the troop makes it mandatory that uniforms be worn at all times.

What scout leaders should be teaching kids is how to properly back for camping trips. During my first year of going camping (on my part, be it laziness or stupid...or both), besides what I was wearing, I might have packed one pairs of socks, no poncho, a light jacket in the winter, no gloves, sneakers.....basically not enough to survive if there was a light breeze or rain....or if I fell in a lake, which happened often...I must say though, nowadays, regardless of the weather forecast, I pack for anything from a hurricane to a blizzard. :thumbsup:

• 3 months later...

This boils my blood. Hell, I wore a German WWII camo uniform when I was in scouts! No one said anything about it. In fact, I was the only kid in my toop who brought a musette bag, canteen, belt, and carbine pouch on hikes. This guy needs to grow up.

Sam

He seems like the type that spent way too much money for his north face gear and saw people with surplus items and he's mad cause he's broke and you are just as comfortable as he is in the woods. As a Eagle Scout I've seen a lot of "LL Bean Parents".

Your post is right on the money. I use a great deal of Millitary surplus items camping, fishing and hunting. I have been razzed about it for not using made in China RIE stuff. Don't get me wrong there is a bunch of new first class camping gear out there.

But I will say this, I was camping with a 1953 dated Belgium army pup tent. My buddies made fun of it. When the rain came I stayed dry. As for Field Jackets and other inexpensive gear. The Boy scouts I know love Army Surplus and I think that is perfectly normal.

I Hate Moths

I have worn many jackets from my collection to our local American Legion over the years.

It has always been accepted as a sincere act of respect to those who have served.

I just stumbled on this topic...pretty interesting. Well, from this old Eagle Scout's perspective, we all wore old field jackets, utility trousers etc on camping trips back in the late 60s/early 70s and used a lot of gear like sleeping bags and mess kits, web belts and canteens that were surplus. Even many of our troops tents were military surplus tents. It certainly wouldn't be right to wear uniforms with ribbons, etc, but if you are out in the woods camping and hiking it makes sense to wear and use this stuff. When I went to Philmont for two weeks we were told to be sure and have some type of hat or cap so my dad (former WW2 Marine) went out and got me one of the green Marine utility covers with the EGA transfer on it to wear. I think this guy is way off base.

Sometimes when its raining or cold I'll still use my old field jacket. I removed my name tape and stripes but left the other patches and my police qualification badge on it. Other times I might wear my MA-1, nomex jacket, Vietnam cammoflage or jungle green shirt. It just depends. I have worn the field jacket with its liner in the extreme North Dakota sub zero temperatures to about 90 below.

If I want to get really radical I might go so far as to wear a civilian jacket.

Third Herd

Back in the early 1960's I had an old M1943 Field Jacket I wore, no patches or stripes and I bought it at a thrift store. I took the stripes off my m-65 field Jacket after I got out of the Air Force and wore my combat boots out. Had car trouble when it was -30 degrees and dug out my Air Force parka and mukluks to walk to work. Growing up my Dad an Army vet wore Navy deck jackets and wore out two of the Air Corps leather caps with sheepskin linings and a visor. I see nothing wrong with wearing field clothing and using field gear, but I can't stand people wearing dress uniforms with insignia as a fashion statement.

I think saying that wearing surpluy military gear "honors" veterans in any way whatsoever is really stretching the issue.

However, as I wrote in an earlier post, I see nothing wrong with mixing some surplus uniform items with civilian "rough wear" clothing or using surplus military field gear for a scout outing. Wearing a surpluus field jacket with jeans and boots, or a poncho, isn't an issue in my mind. Likewise, wearing a surplus military rucksack or web belt and canteen shouldn't be viewed as an issue.

I believe that a lot of it has to do with the intent, oveert or covert, of the wearer. I might start wondering about someone who showed up decked out in a full military dress uniform of blouse, shirt, tie, trousers, and shoes. I'd even have questions about wearing a complete Army field uniform of field jacket, field shirt, trousers, tie, leggings, and boots. That sort of ensemble thing would make me wonder what he/she was really trying to portray.....but that's just me.