Garage sale find Marron Beret

Private Joker

Private Joker

I purchased this at a garage sale today. I was told it was an Airborne beret from Vietnam Vet. I was told the beret came from a purchase of "rent due" storage facility. This and 2 beat up footlockers id all they kept. Personal letters to and from the soldier and papers were all discarded and they did not remeber the soldiers name. SAD!

Upon bringing it home i researched the flash. It is the 1st Batallaion, 507th Infantry

1st Battalion

507th Infantry Lineage

Constituted 24 June 1942 in the Army of the United States as Company A, 507th Parachute Infantry

Activated 20 July 1942 at Fort Benning, Georgia

(507th Parachute Infantry assigned 1 March 1945 to the 17th Airborne Division)

Inactivated 16 September 1945 at Camp Myles Standish, Massachusetts

Redesignated 18 June 1948 as Company A, 507th Airborne Infantry

Allotted 25 June 1948 to the Regular Army

Activated 6 July 1948 at Camp Pickett, Virginia

Inactivated 31 March 1949 at Camp Pickett, Virginia

Redesignated 23 October 1985 as Headquarters, 1st Battalion, 507th Infantry, and relieved from assignment to the 17th Airborne Division; concurrently transferred to the United States Army Training and Doctrine Command and activated at Fort Benning, Georgia

My Guess is that it was a veteran of the Vietnam war who owned it but probably wore it Post war at Airvorne camp in Fort Benning Geaorgia in the mid 80's

I was wondering if anyone with knowledge could shed more light on this beret

DSCF1026.jpg

DSCF1027.jpg

Berets were locally authorized (by unit commanders) for wear from approx 1973-1979, when it was recinded. The maroon beret was authorized for wear by airborne soldiers Army-wide in 1980. The flash for 1-507th Inf was approved on 3 January 1986. So, this is a post 1986 beret.

jep,,been there, wore that one,,Ft Benning, 1986, C company 1 BN 507th PIR,, other known as Airborne School, nice time if you like the hot cabels on stone....:) (to do lots of push ups... oh the unit crest is missing....