WWII Smokes

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

I've managed to replicate wwii cigarette's to a satisfactory degree but had trouble, at least here in the california scene, to get packs of green lucky strikes, nor have I seen or found a label. Please let me know what you think of my replica.

The weakness is the size of the pack. The wwii packs were slightly different and so the label wraps around a little too much. The original label left some wear marks but you can attest that to age. The colors, whiule not spot on are really good. The celephane covering was removed from the original modern pack, a sticker taken from the bottom and then the pack was relabeled and returned. The tricky part is placing the reproduction back, into the original celephane. Some of them tear and the bottom must be taped. Although not a perfect system it looks good and the pack is perfectly usuable. In a back to back comparison they are good. Not perfect, but good.

Rock

Repro on the left (no celephane) and original on the right

100_4607.jpg

100_4609.jpg

Ignore the discoloration as the glue was still wet

100_4611.jpg

Celephane covering installed

100_4613.jpg

Celephane taped together on bottom (California sticker remnant)

100_4614.jpg

Rock

Looks good Rock! I know we usually do those and Chesterfields. I don't really worry abou all that, I just refill my tobbaco tin for my pipe! :D

Scott

Nice one Rock, only thing is, yer colour shade is completely different....

Can I ask, did ye scan then print the copy, or is it from a PDF from free site (or any other means)?

I've had trouble wi scanning stuff, it never bloody comes out the right colour and is annoying... I used to have a program on my old computer where I could enhance the colours but was time consuming....

If ye haven't got a PDF I'd be glad to send ye one....

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Nice one Rock, only thing is, yer colour shade is completely different....

Can I ask, did ye scan then print the copy, or is it from a PDF from free site (or any other means)?

I've had trouble wi scanning stuff, it never bloody comes out the right colour and is annoying... I used to have a program on my old computer where I could enhance the colours but was time consuming....

If ye haven't got a PDF I'd be glad to send ye one....

The pack on the right is an original pack of wwii cigarettes. If the color is off then it's off because the original is off due to age. If you have a pdf of the green lucky strike pack I'd love to have one.

Rock

The pack on the right is an original pack of wwii cigarettes. If the color is off then it's off because the original is off due to age. If you have a pdf of the green lucky strike pack I'd love to have one.

Rock

It's the opne on the left I'm on about Rock....

I can sort ye out a PDF nae worries, PM me yer email, and I'll send in attachment... I got loads of stuff, and yer welcome...

Paul

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
It's the opne on the left I'm on about Rock....

I can sort ye out a PDF nae worries, PM me yer email, and I'll send in attachment... I got loads of stuff, and yer welcome...

Paul

Oh yes, Thanks in advance!

Looking at the packs in the picture you can see a shade difference. Part of the problem is that the repro pack has the clear celephane on it. In real life the original label has some glossiness that doesn't translate quite as well in the copy. Looking at them in person they are actually closer in color than they look in the pictures. But the repro is still not as nice as the original. There imperfections in the original label paper that also come out in copy that I don't prefer.

I used a glossy thinner paper and in person they look good. I'd much rather prefer a pdf so that the packs will look pristine and I can copy and shrink the label a little to fit the modern packs. Seems the modern packs are smaller than they were in wwii.

Rock

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

Did a little more work. The Camel Cartons are B Grade replica's and the Lucky Strike Cartons were purchased. I can make the cartons good enough to pass muster now. Picked up some Wings, Old Gold and other original labels and am packing a variety. I'm going to put the packs up for sale and use the cartons as set dressing.

100_4650.jpg

100_4654.jpg

100_4651.jpg

100_4652.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

They still sell Lucky Strikes at our local gas stations, but after a year of smoking two packs a day you can bet you arent going to be able to run very wel... I certainly cant haha. But Lucky Strike certainly does mean FINE tobacco.

Future Radio Tech

:thumbsup: Great work would you mind posting how you made them (cartons&packs)? like what you made them out of how you folded them etc etc cause Id really love to make a few packs for my footlocker ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Sgt_Rock_EasyCo

After seeing the paper liners in the wwii smoke packs I started making them in that fashion. The education and improvement is ongoing.

000_2473.jpg

000_2478.jpg

000_2472.jpg

000_2475.jpg

000_2477.jpg

Rock

After seeing the paper liners in the wwii smoke packs I started making them in that fashion. The education and improvement is ongoing.

000_2473.jpg

000_2478.jpg

000_2472.jpg

000_2475.jpg

000_2477.jpg

Rock

They look real nice!

Especially the Lucky Strikes.

ww2reproductions

Some fantastic work there.

Some tips ....

Dont use modern office paper, I use a cheap sketch pad that you can pick up at the $2 store.

Use a colour laser printer...not a bubble jet as they dont give the true colours.

Before cutting out items spray them with a gloss spray for sealing them this also brings the item to life and more depth. It also helps stop cracking on folds..dont spray in the house as the wife will complain.

You can get this at your craft store its about $8.

I use several programs to either create and/or clean up artwork...all are easy its just practice.

Microsoft "Publisher"......so easy and you can create 99% of everything from ration boxes to paperwork.

Adobe "illustrator" ...I use CS3 but you can use the old versions just as well, this is for the fanatic.

There is a website that has a 1001 free fonts download them all as they will help you later in your creations.

With cellophane use a clear glue stick on the edges work fast as it will curl them. When dry run the heat gun around them to shrink dont heat up to much as they will burn and dont melt your hands...its not that hard just practice.