Father & Son UDC Crosses

wartimecollectables.com

wartimecollectables.com

I collect veterans material from the Mexican War 1847 / Civil War / Indian Wars era and thought I'd share this pair.

Charles J. Wever served in Company B of the 1st Virginia Cavalry. (Capt. John Blair Hoge's Co. B of Berkeley Co.) He was wounded in 1861 and subsequently captured and held at Camp Chase, Ohio for over two years.

His son, George L. Wever, served as a Major in the 1st Battalion of the 150th Infantry in WWI.

Charles Wever's Southern Cross of Honor is an excellent condition Crankshaw pinback with ornate two line engraving

Charles J. Wever

Co. B. 1st VA CAV

His son's UDC Cross of Military Service is a Medallic Arts strike numbered 390 is attributed to

Major George L. Weaver, 1st Battalion, 150th Infantry, 42nd Division.

post-93-1294959832.jpg

post-93-1294959935.jpg

post-93-1294959972.jpg

post-93-1294960005.jpg

post-93-1294960058.jpg

Andrew,

That is a pretty cooling grouping, father and son, you do not see that very often. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,

John

wartimecollectables.com

The UDC awarded the Southern Cross of Honor to surviving Confederate Veteran's of the American Civil War. On occasion they were presented to a widow. The medals were not 'officially' named however often the UDC Chapter would have them engraved before presentation or the veteran would have his medal engraved. So engraving styles vary but considering these were done some 100-125 years ago now it becomes easy to spot original engraving with experience.

The UDC also awards the Cross of Military Service to the direct descendants of Confederate Veterans for their military service. These have been awarded for the Span Am War, Phil. Ins., WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and SW Asia. These medals are seldom named but are all numbered. Many of the WWI numbers are published, the other numbers can sometimes be verified through the UDC records.

wartimecollectables.com said:
...The UDC also awards the Cross of Military Service to the direct descendants of Confederate Veterans for their military service. These have been awarded for the Span Am War, Phil. Ins., WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and SW Asia. These medals are seldom named but are all numbered. Many of the WWI numbers are published, the other numbers can sometimes be verified through the UDC records.

From their website, these are the UDC crosses for WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and the Global War on Terrorism

UDC_WWII.jpg.a40eeed36207447658d56202b7a693e2.jpgUDC_Korea.jpg.5336a90d5c9969611f930dcb40932ce0.jpgUDC_Vietnam.jpg.955ce3f53ad225c8866bce6338e61938.jpgUDC_GWOT.jpg.2129b80911244ddc63e11d71c272c5f7.jpg

I am not sure why they don't have the earlier ones.

Kevin

• 11 years later...
wartimecollectables.com

Bump.... I sold this group a few years ago.  I your the buyer, contact me regards a wartime letter from Wever.