Unknown USMC patch...WMG??

Jason G

No impact, no idea... Perhaps a "Woman Marine" organization? Good luck, I'm interested how this search pans out...

Semper,

Ski

Alas, they are not mine, but rest in anothers collection. I wanted to post them up as a "Can anyone verify"? Type of thing. Now, this particular collection has excellent provenance mind you so I've no doubt they would be real....but I'm still curious. They aren't in any books and I can find no mention of 'em....ANYwhere. Nor of Marines wearing them.

So, despite the 'ID', I call it 'tentative' bearing further research.

And I only WISH they were mine LOL.

If you look at the dates the Marines only guarded the mail for about three months, not very long to design and and make two variations of a patch. To me they have more of a ROTC look.

Based on the fact that you have two different designs there and the fact that they haven't shown up in any of the patch reference books) that I am aware of) and the fact that marines weren't wearing SSI during this time period, I think it is possible that what you have there are samples that were submitted for approval but never were. To reenforce this thought- the fact that the first patch has the shoe tag affixed in the manner that it has been makes me believe this to be the case as this is how I have seen army patches done that were submitted for approval.

Rare stuff no matter what and a fascinating addition to the USMF! :thumbsup:

Allan

Thanks for all the great comments! As soon as I can get some more information, I'll put it up with these. They are of a 'wool' type construction, BTW. I'm open to ALL ideas on 'em.