Cleaning Photos

siege1863

I have a number of photo collections that had to be removed from albums due to various reasons, including those mounted with tape. The longer tape remains in place, the more damage it will do. Usually, this is a staining of the image.

To remove tape from photos, I use an archival product called PEC-12. It comes in a small spray bottle and can be applied directly to the photo, a soft wipe, or cotton swab. One must be careful in that one of its uses is to remove ink. If photos have handwritten notations on the front or back, do not allow the PEC-12 to soak through to these areas.

Tape can sometimes be a bit difficult to remove. The first application of PEC-12 tends to lift the celo strip itself and additional wiping/swabbing will be necessary to remove the gum. The cleaner is great for removing finger oils, dirt, and nicotine build-up. You would be surprised to see what comes off photos from the home of a smoker!

Once the photos have been cleaned and the solvent dried, I then place them into individual archival-safe photo sleeves. A great source for the sleeves is Bags Unlimited. I buy 100-count 3 1/2 X 5 for most uses. They are VERY inexpensive and as good as any sleeves from more pricey archival supply companies. I have been using them for years and have never had an issue.

For storage, I tend to use small boxes or containers. If the sleeved photos are to stand on edge, as opposed to lying flat, be sure to use a spacer to keep the photos loosely pressed together. If not done, and the photos are allowed to shift, they will tend to become curled.

Here is a sample photo BEFORE cleaning...

post-211-1294796311.jpg

Same photo AFTER cleaning...

post-211-1294796337.jpg

Thank you very much for posting this. I found and checked out the Bags Unlimited website; I'm glad to know of them now. However, they don't seem to carry the PEC-12; can you recommend a source for it?

Thanks again for such an informative post.

- Robbie

I just did a quick web search and there are several sites including Amazon that carry it.

I order PEC-12 thru Amazon. However, it is shipped from a camera supply company called Adorama. They seem to have the best prices and ordering directly thru Amazon is quick and easy.

just a question..would Goo gone ruin a picture?it also removes gummy substances..

I do not think GOO GONE would be good for photos! It may remove the gum but you have to consider what it can do to the photo emulsion and the backing paper. The PEC-12 is an archival product intended for cleaning photos. It has proven results.

Thank You for posting this ...... !!! I will be getting my bottle soon. :thumbsup:

Your Fellow Photo Collector since 1995.

Carey