Camillus Fighting Knife

gijoeou812

To be perfectly honest, I'd just follow ebay listings and see what ones in like condition bring. Things have changed so much over the last few years that I wouldn't dare wager a guess. I have 2 or 3 of them in the same date range and in near mint condition that I know I paid maybe between $40 - $80 for each one. This is in the last 5 or 6 years. I would not be surprised if they were going for double that or more now.

I`m new to the forum so my cousin posted my knife like this on here. he was tod in mint condition it was ony worth between 45-75.00 its the same as this fellas why is there info say ing it could be worth up to 140.00? just curious.

I`m new to the forum so my cousin posted my knife like this on here. he was tod in mint condition it was ony worth between 45-75.00 its the same as this fellas why is there info say ing it could be worth up to 140.00? just curious.

When did he post your knife? I don't see the quote for $140 anywhere in this thread...that's why I say watch what they go for on ebay (among other places).

Like everything else, the value of collector items seems to have taken a big jump lately. Apparently, when the economy goes sour, people go ape with their money.

Thanks guys on the new (to me) information on the Utica Cut’s. If you have any recommendations on reference material on the MK2’s I’d like to study up on them. Most of what I have are from Cole’s and “Military knives a reference book”.

I called the lady I bought the knife from, (it was her fathers). She called her mother to check on the dates. Her dad had quit college and enlisted in the Marine Corps at the end of 1960. He didn’t leave for basic until after new years. So my bad. :blink:

K-DOGG, Trying to get a hard number for (what something is worth) can be pretty frustrating. Those 4 knives I showed earlier should all come in at different prices upon appraisal. Different appraisers will give you different values. At the end of the day the only correct answer is what something is worth is what the buyer and the seller agree to. "U.S. Military KNIVES BAYONETS and MACHETES PRICE GUIDE fifth edition" is probably the most used reference for people who collect US military blades. This was printed in 2006 and it is called a "guide" for a reason. Things change and not everything will necessarily go up.

I would echo elbertson’s advise. There isn’t a good substitution for learning what the market is in your area. Whether it’s your local geography or the internet. :)

Here are some pics of what I think represent the variety of M2's made during the Vietnam era. The first Utica Cut was issued to a Marine in 1960. He took it with him to Vietnam in 67. I've been told this version goes back to even the Korean era. The next three all have the later (oxblood) finish. I've been told that the leather was treated with an advanced fungicide to resist jungle rot. I don't know if the color is related to that.

DCP_1358.jpg

DCP_1359.jpg

DCP_1360.jpg

DCP_1361.jpg

DCP_1362.jpg

Sactroop,

Could you possibly re-post your pictures? I am not able to see them and they sound very interesting. Thank you for adding to this thread, and for the education. :blink:

Sactroop,

Could you possibly re-post your pictures? I am not able to see them and they sound very interesting. Thank you for adding to this thread, and for the education. :blink:

You must be having problems accessing photobucket, because the pictures appear in your last two posts.

• 4 months later...
AH!, I did not know this. I thought that the "U.S." and USN-marked knives were issued to sailors and the "U.S." and USMC-marked knives were issued to Marines and that non USN or USMC marked ones (those with 'oxblood' colored handles) were issued to WWII Army infantrymen, etc. I also was unaware that the "CAMILLUS N.Y." was not used prior to 1962.

Thanks for the clarification.

Tim

That's exactly what I always assumed too Tim. Thanks for all of the great info guys! I've been trying to find this information for days. You saved me from listing a knife on Ebay as a WWII Era Camillus when it's not. I just wasn't comfortable listing it without being as sure as possible what it was, but your information removed all doubt . Thanks again!!

That's exactly what I always assumed too Tim. Thanks for all of the great info guys! I've been trying to find this information for days. You saved me from listing a knife on Ebay as a WWII Era Camillus when it's not. I just wasn't comfortable listing it without being as sure as possible what it was, but your information removed all doubt . Thanks again!!

rjdpa,

Thank you for your due diligence.

:thumbsup:

rjdpa,

Thank you for your due diligence.

:thumbsup:

I do have one question concerning the last Camillus issue. The logo with the line above and below the Camillus then New YorK, then U.S.A. on 3 separate lines. I read somewhere during my search (I haven't been able to find it again) an article that Frank Trzaska wrote that stated this logo was not a military issue as it didn't conform to the specs. Since I bought mine from a Government sale and it has the military stenciling on the sheath I find it hard to reconcile it with them not being issued. Could it be that just a few were issued before the USG realized that the logo didn't conform to the marking specs?

I believe that version were all commercial offerings made after Camillus was no longer contracting with the military for them. Finding one in the military stock system wouldn't be unusual, as a GI probably purchased it privately to replace a lost or broken one that he had signed out and was responsible for. No one would likely care how it was marked, if they even bothered to unsheath it. I know a few commercial Kabars have shown up under the same circumstances.

The lack of US on it was due to the fact that they weren't contracted knives.

I believe that version were all commercial offerings made after Camillus was no longer contracting with the military for them. Finding one in the military stock system wouldn't be unusual, as a GI probably purchased it privately to replace a lost or broken one that he had signed out and was responsible for. No one would likely care how it was marked, if they even bothered to unsheath it. I know a few commercial Kabars have shown up under the same circumstances.

The lack of US on it was due to the fact that they weren't contracted knives.

That makes perfect sense! I never thought of that. Thanks for the quick reply!

Frank Trzaska

A good informative thread with great photos, always nice to see. And to Elbertson's point, I have looked through many Armories over the years and found all sorts of non issue knives and bayonets, even some made in China!

All the best

Frank Trzaska