M1910 Wire Cutters

Pep

I was noticing a few posts on M1910 wire cutters.

It seems there is a belief that there are different models of these.

Button type, non-insulated, & insulated.

I went back and read the description of the model of 1910 equipment and the Description & Directions for use & care of Cavalry equipment

Model 1912 Oct 5, 1912; 2nd prntng 1917.

I found these two descriptions:

Wire Cutter, Model of 1910.

Each limb of the plier is made of tool steel finished to shape and assembled by riveting parts together. They are then tempered and wire cutter edges ground. The handles are insulated by coating as follows: First, with vulcanizing cement; second, with rubber gum; third, with friction duck; fourth, with rubber gum. The remaining exposed parts are then polished.

And

Exert From: Description & Directions for use & care of Cavalry equipment

Model 1912 Oct 5, 1912; 2nd prntng 1917

Wire Cutters, Model of 1910

…”The handles are insulated with hard rubber so as to withstand a voltage of 5,000 volts. The extreme ends of the handles are provided with soft rubber tips, because the hard rubber is very brittle and would break if the cutters were dropped on hard ground.”

From these two descriptions from the time period I was wondering if indeed the non-insulated types were a different model?

Some pics for detail:

post-2260-1294702993.jpg

Congratulations Pep, it's almost impossible to find such sound insulation. IMHO there are insulated and no insulated model 1910 wc, I cannot explain why that document do mention ony insulated model. BTW, if I remember well the steel handles are not the same in both model being the insuated one T shaped in section.

Congratulations Pep, it's almost impossible to find such sound insulation. IMHO there are insulated and no insulated model 1910 wc, I cannot explain why that document do mention ony insulated model. BTW, if I remember well the steel handles are not the same in both model being the insuated one T shaped in section.

Thanks artu44. I agree the cross section of the handles are different. Is there any documentation/description regarding the previous model?

Pep

I have a reprint of the "Description of the Infantry Equipment model of 1910" and it shows only the insulated type with the same exact description as the first one you posted. Anyway I saw in other documents of the period the usual non isnsulated model.

I have a reprint of the "Description of the Infantry Equipment model of 1910" and it shows only the insulated type with the same exact description as the first one you posted. Anyway I saw in other documents of the period the usual non isnsulated model.

Any recollection for the name of those document(s)?

thanks

Bonjour.

The right has lost its insulation

post-241-1294780333.jpg

regard solcarlus.

Thanks solcarlus. I wondered what the metal looked like under the insulation.

Pep

I read on the forum and saw a picture that lists the "commercial button pliers" as part of the M1905 gear.

I would venture an opinion that pliers made with no insulation are earlier than the insulated M1910.

I am leaning toward non-insulated = M1905 :think:

Any one have a reference on this they could share?

Button pliers are solely adopted by cavalry and were commercial tools being the ones used by farmers doing fences. They was never issued by the Army.

Anyway the most genuine M1910s you can find are all no insulated type and is quite strange that documents would insist on puttig the insulated type on their tables.

Bonjour.

Three generations of pliers used by the U.S. Army.

solcarlus.

post-241-1294941781.jpg

So on the left is the M1910, then the Button pliers then the M1916?(read a wonderful post on those types)

The button pliers are just that Button pliers with no model designation...am I close to correct? :ermm:

I would still like to see documentation that mentions the non-insulated types as M1910.

I think they are M1909 or some other designation but I have no proof. In any case it is sure they are US Army issue.

Pep

Button pliers are solely adopted by cavalry and were commercial tools being the ones used by farmers doing fences. They was never issued by the Army.

Anyway the most genuine M1910s you can find are all no insulated type and is quite strange that documents would insist on puttig the insulated type on their tables.

I borrowed this picture from another post. I hope I did not violate any rules. :unsure:

post-2260-1294948094.jpg

I could only take this as an issued pair of button pliers by the US Army since it is in this description book dated 1908 per the other post.

Pep

• 6 years later...
Military Engineer

There is an RIA drawing for a Model 1908 Wire Cutter. As Solcarlus pointed out, the 1908 is uninsulated.

post-6190-0-55254000-1509564663_thumb.jpg

post-6190-0-09575000-1509564849_thumb.jpg

Military Engineer

There is also a RIA drawing for a Model 1918 (light) , which is insulated. I use (Light) as there are two RIA Model 1918 wire cutters. The other is the larger size that fits in the Model 1922 carrier.

post-6190-0-47199400-1509565458_thumb.jpg

Military Engineer

Now if that is not confusing enough, there is a RIA drawing for a Cutter, Wire, Light Model 1916.

post-6190-0-77986800-1509566095_thumb.jpg

post-6190-0-52881300-1509566111_thumb.jpg

Military Engineer

So what we have in this photo (left to right) is a Model 1910, Model 1916 Light, and a Model 1910 with the insulation missing.

Bonjour.

The right has lost its insulation

attachicon.gifIMG_0177.JPG

regard solcarlus.

Military Engineer

These are (left to right) a Model 1910, a Model 1908, and a Model 1918.

Bonjour.
Three generations of pliers used by the U.S. Army.

solcarlus.

attachicon.gifIMG_3724.JPG

So PEP you have the Model 1912 with one of the tips missing.

I dont think so. I have never read of a M1912.

My Pics in this post are model 1910.