Question about Navy Issued M1910 Gear

m1a2u2

I was at a gun show recently and saw a navy pistol belt with sewn on pouches for a revolver, and cloth holster. These all had snaps with a navy anchor on them. I know what the USMC EGA from snaps look like and this was definately different. The gun that was selling with it was Colt Revolver with US Navy Markings.

My question is was this a custom deal? or did the Navy have their own snaps on early M1910 gear?

Any further info would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks!

I forget which book i read it in but the navy did have its own web gear in the pre WWI period. I remember something about the anchor being straight across the snap instead of at an angle like on the USMC snaps.

El Bibliotecario

Page50 of R Stephen Dorsey's US MARTIAL WEB BELTS AND ACCESSORIES 1903-1981 shows a khaki eight pocket pistol belt with web holster and blackened snaps with what Dorsey descrbes as 'an eagle and anchor motif.' He says the belt is different than the army eight pocket belt in that the cartridge pockets are deeper, being intended for the M1909 .45 revolver cartridge.

Page50 of R Stephen Dorsey's US MARTIAL WEB BELTS AND ACCESSORIES 1903-1981 shows a khaki eight pocket pistol belt with web holster and blackened snaps with what Dorsey descrbes as 'an eagle and anchor motif.' He says the belt is different than the army eight pocket belt in that the cartridge pockets are deeper, being intended for the M1909 .45 revolver cartridge.

Interesting...the guy wanted 800 for the whole thing including the gun.

The Navy did have thier own "eagle snap" fasteners. I suspect my belt is similar to the one you saw at the gun show. Shown here with USMC and Army belts for comparison.

MVC_078S.JPG

MVC_079S.JPG