Numbers on PASGT Helmets

OEF COLLECTOR

OEF COLLECTOR

Just wondering why there are numbers on some PASGT helmets. This one is in my collection and I want to find out information on helmets like this. Were they for training; Special Forces or infantry?

post-21753-1294690358.jpg

post-21753-1294690367.jpg

I'm not sure if this is the case with this particular helmet, but when I went to Air Assualt School back in the early 80's before Kevlars came to the 101st, we were assigned roster numbers (chalk numbers at Air Assualt school, and in Airborne School they were (Stick numbers) that had to be painted on the front and back of the helmets that we wore. We did not wear the camo cover, and it was easier for the instructor to call off your roster number rather than your name. This may have been from one of those schools such as Airborne, or Air Assualt, and the individual did not repaint the helmet after completion. It could also have been from Basic Training or another school. I think Ranger School also had a similar Identification procedure..

Leigh...

im not sure but i have seen alot of pics of spec op guy seals etc with number patches on their arms maybe that has something to do with it?

I'm not sure if this is the case with this particular helmet, but when I went to Air Assualt School back in the early 80's before Kevlars came to the 101st, we were assigned roster numbers (chalk numbers at Air Assualt school, and in Airborne School they were (Stick numbers) that had to be painted on the front and back of the helmets that we wore. We did not wear the camo cover, and it was easier for the instructor to call off your roster number rather than your name. This may have been from one of those schools such as Airborne, or Air Assualt, and the individual did not repaint the helmet after completion. It could also have been from Basic Training or another school. I think Ranger School also had a similar Identification procedure..

Leigh...

Hey Leigh, does this look familiar? I believe it from the early part of VN, but I can't figure out the numbers on this lid....is this what the stick numbers looked like on helmets at AB school....?

Rick

post-9167-1294721437.jpg

post-9167-1294721456.jpg

Hello Rick,

This would appear to be a roster number (stick number) for that time period in the 60's at the Airborne school. The Paint was always something that could be easily seen against the background of the OD green, This looks almost like a reddish orange.

Later on, I am not sure when, possibly in the late 70's, or early 80's, I know that the Air Assault School standard for marking helmets was to paint a white 4x6 square on the back and front of the steel helmet. When the paint dried then a 2 or 3 inch number stencil for the roster number was then painted on the white square with black paint.

This color change made it easier for the Air Assualt instructors to evaluate the students when they were rappelling from the towers to correct technique if necessary. There was an evaluator at the top of tower who would tie you in to the rappelling ropes and he would ensure you were in a proper L shaped position prior to rappelling. The instructor on the ground next to the belayman would be able to evalute the student on body form and posture when rappelling down. The belay instructor could see the number on the back on the helmet and could yell up to that student to correct posture or to release break hand or other commands..

Thanks fro sharing the helmet with us...

Leigh...

Hello Rick,

This would appear to be a roster number (stick number) for that time period in the 60's at the Airborne school. The Paint was always something that could be easily seen against the background of the OD green, This looks almost like a reddish orange.

Later on, I am not sure when, possibly in the late 70's, or early 80's, I know that the Air Assault School standard for marking helmets was to paint a white 4x6 square on the back and front of the steel helmet. When the paint dried then a 2 or 3 inch number stencil for the roster number was then painted on the white square with black paint.

This color change made it easier for the Air Assualt instructors to evaluate the students when they were rappelling from the towers to correct technique if necessary. There was an evaluator at the top of tower who would tie you in to the rappelling ropes and he would ensure you were in a proper L shaped position prior to rappelling. The instructor on the ground next to the belayman would be able to evalute the student on body form and posture when rappelling down. The belay instructor could see the number on the back on the helmet and could yell up to that student to correct posture or to release break hand or other commands..

Thanks fro sharing the helmet with us...

Leigh...

Thanks Leigh, that's very helpful! The numbers on this airborne lid are actually made from masking tape and then coloured a reddish-orange, hence why they are partly gone, the tape has dried up and torn off in spots. I've been very careful to preserve what's left.

Thanks again, and if anyone knows of any photos showing these markings on helmets, I'd love to see some,

cheers,

Rick