P1918 USMC Officer's Bullion Collar EGAs

usmcaviator

These are a super rare set of matched collar EGAs that were probably made in France in 1918. I think these are the only known bullion set with some embroidered singles in private collections. There is a well known photo of 1stLt Eddy wearing a pair of these in a shot showing some of the staff of the 4th Marines to include Wendell Neville, Earl Ellis and Claggett Wilson. Wilson is seen wearing the other rare French made EGAs. It is speculated that the French made insignia were first obtained by officers of the 4th Marine Brigade staff. The photo is strong evidence as such. I will post the 2 versions of the 'other' French made insignia later. I would like to see any other versions of the bullion or embroidered style if they are out there. Enjoy.

Maj Manifor
(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

jeremiahcable

Wow, now this is something I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about. Have you or your brother come across any more of these in your time collecting Mike? Very interesting pieces, looks like they are on Army wool cloth backings?

S/F,

Jeremiah

Yes, they are hand done on drab wool. The black cheesecloth protective backing fell off of one. The anchor and continents are tarnished gold bullion thread. The eagle is silver bullion. The globe is outlined in a fine gauge twisted wire, and the globe itself is a unknown shiny material. The latitude lines and eagle details are done in black thread.

I have no others, and have seen no others. I have only been told that embroidered ones do exist as singles.

Mike

They came on a 5th Regiment, 8th MG Company tunic that I sold last year, the tunic looked to have been 2nd Division Association related. It was an odd colored green Army tunic that was cut like a Marine officer's uniform. It had second lieutenant rank. The tunic was real put probably circa 1920-1922 and made for parade wear. I picked it up along with a matching painted helmet from distant relatives of the original owner. It was one of my first purchases and I have since lost the name (kicking myself). These insignia will be pictured in the EGA reference book coming out soon.

Mike

teufelhunde.ret

Is that to say this may have been made in the USA...or European... sort of a uniform made for reunions and so forth? Or "in country" made for actual service use? s/f Darrell

BTW, any updates on when that book will hit..?

Based off of construction, I'd say they are European made. Seeing how the patch and everything else on the tunic was original 1918/1919 period. I'd say these were transplanted to it later, when the original tunic no longer fit or became damaged. But, the possibility certainly does exist that these could have been American made. These defiantely were not something that would have been within regs. Much like the Sam Browne belt, these were probably something that wasn't allowed the second they walked off the boat from returning overseas. It can be said with certainty that 1stLt Eddy is indeed wearing a flat insignia that appear to be embroidered or bullion which indicates they were being made in that time frame. He is definately not wearing a 3-D style set of EGA's.

Mike