My WWI 82nd Display

cthomas

Here's a nice display of 82nd items that I put together from a few sources. The tunic,OS cap,Mills belt,'Hate' belt,issued scarf (w/field repair), canvas leggings,putees, trousers (hard to see in pic) and overcoat (not shown) all belong to a Fred Ross who was wounded while serving in Co. A,321st Artillery,82nd Div. I checked the VA grave search website and found 5 possibles for a "Ross, Fred".

The helmet, 2 high quality velvet material patches (officer?),studio portrait and WWI vintage U.S. flag I used for the backdrop come from different sources.

post-518-1189299039.jpg

BTW - What is on the hate belt? Is it a belt? I have a very nice Prussian hate belt - one of the nicest that I have seen. I'd like to see some of the insignia. A lot of people don't realize that there are also Canadian, and U.S. hate belts as well... I'm interested to see what your's is.

Chris

I love it! Very nice group. WWI uniforms are highly under rated.

Chris

Hello Chris and thank you for the compliments. I couldn't agree more with your comments on WWI uniforms being under rated. I bought everything you see in that image (including the overcoat that wasn't shown) for less than $600.00. I think even by WWI standards, that was a decent deal overall. The belt in question is what I believe is called a service belt (I've heard it referred to as a Garrison belt too). The detail shots I have of the insignia on this belt were taken with a lower quality camera so the detail isn't really there. I'll post them anyway and you tell me if it works for you. The belt shows a mixture of U.S./Canadian/British(?) & German buttons and collar discs. They are fastened on back by a period issued boot lace.

post-518-1189302765.jpg

Very nice display Chuck! Glad to see that you're active on here and that you've gotten away from those nasty German items. ;)

Jeremiah

Ja wol! :blink: Did I just say that? I'm glad to be here. I look forward to being an active part of the forum. I've got plenty to share with you all including some neat WWI photos (and some nice Marine Corps stuff too ;) )

A detailed shot of half the insignia...the 4th one in from left shows, for lack of a better term, a Lowenbrau lion and that nasty oxidized one first from right is a royal crown similar to the others seen in this pic except that it's rimless.

post-518-1189303146.jpg

Chuck,

Thanks for the pics of the belt. Since "hate belts" can be considered, in a sense, "US", or allied militaria, I would like to show you mine. For those that may not be aware, "hate belts" were belts that were put together from battlefield and captured war booty. Contrary to what many people may think, trench art, ( Hate belts included) were often, though not always, assembled by various companies, who wanted to capitalize on the allied soldiers serving occupation duty. Many U.S. soldier's brought home "hate belts" as souvinir's. Your's seems to be one of the "soldier assembled" hate belts. This makes your's special, because we can just look at the chronicle of the 82nd Divison to surmise where the components of your belt were retrieved from.

The example that I have shown here, is more of the "commercial made" type - made from a Prussian EM belt, and EM/NCO brass belt plate. The hardware on the belt are two styles of pickelhaube cockades, various buttons, including a couple of navy (Kriegsmarine), as well as Prussian regimental cyphers that have formed the dates of "1918" & "1919" on the ends of the belt. The fact that the hardware are all uniformly held in place by circular rings on the reverse of the belt, as well as the very organized placement of the hardware, using equadistant, pattern forming hardware placement, would strongly suggest that this was a commercially made belt. Often times, these belts would be assembled from large stores of hardare that was not only retrieved from the battlefield of the First World War, but also from large stock-piles, likely having never been furnished on a helmet, or a uniform coat.

Obviously my belt was made during occupation, where as yours was probably made during the war.

Thanks for sharing!!

Chris

post-548-1189308689.jpg

Chris,

Thank you very much for your comments on the 'Hate' belt I posted and for posting the one in your collection. That does have a manufactured appeal to it. Very nice by the way!

I forgot to post a view of the reverse to my belt. Here it is:

post-518-1189366850.jpg