USMC Painted Seabags

Brig

Ever have to pick out you seabag with 1000 others on the flight line at dusk or pier? Painting them has an advantage. I like these works of art!!

I can't believe I've never gone through this thread- astounding stuff here, gentlemen!!

Here is my only offering, from the SecMarDiv. From all indications, this stuff dates quite late in the War...

post-3226-1326043655.jpegpost-3226-1326043688.jpeg

Corpsmancollector
I can't believe I've never gone through this thread- astounding stuff here, gentlemen!!

Here is my only offering, from the SecMarDiv. From all indications, this stuff dates quite late in the War...

post-3226-1326043655.jpegpost-3226-1326043688.jpeg

Jim,

Fantastic bags. I really like the second one with the 2 Mardiv stencil. Reminds me of a dungaree jacket in Harlan Glenn's 'Frogskins & Dungarees', which had a similar SSI stencil on the sleeve. Don't often see that done! The seabag is a real stunner too - must have seen a few sites in it's time!

Thanks for posting and all the best,

Will

vintageproductions

How did I miss this great thread.?

Painted sea bags are definately one of my weakness.

Following are a few of mine:

bags1.jpg

bags2.jpg

bags3.jpg

vintageproductions

a few more:

bags4.jpg

bags5.jpg

bags6.jpg

All of these are painted on both sides, I just couldn't find my pole to take the ones off of the wall in my warehouse.

Jim,

Fantastic bags. I really like the second one with the 2 Mardiv stencil. Reminds me of a dungaree jacket in Harlan Glenn's 'Frogskins & Dungarees', which had a similar SSI stencil on the sleeve. Don't often see that done! The seabag is a real stunner too - must have seen a few sites in it's time!

Thanks for posting and all the best,

Will

Hey there Will, thanks for the comments :thumbsup: I gotta admit, however, that my Bags look pretty tame compared to a lot of the masterpieces in this thread :w00t: :w00t:

Corpsmancollector
a few more:

post-492-1326316417.jpg

post-492-1326316426.jpg

post-492-1326316435.jpg

All of these are painted on both sides, I just couldn't find my pole to take the ones off of the wall in my warehouse.

A few Bob? That's a collection it itself there! :w00t:

I really like the post-war China (3rd Amphib Corps) and Korean War era bag in your initial post, the artwork is stunning.

Can you recollect what the writing says on the bag in the bottom right of your last post? (Tank Battalion?)

Thanks,

Will

• 4 months later...

Came across my old painted seabag in the garage today.. Not much of an art piece but it served me well from PISC to Okinawa 1956 to 1959. The Med Cruise stops are there but the oriental places have faded and I never did add a 3rdMarDiv patch. Semper Fi.....Bobgee

20120513_8.JPG20120513_7.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
USMC-RECON0321

Man!!! These are just great!! I can see a new branch of collecting in these!! Love em! Thanks for posting.

Also a note to Vintageproductions, What a great idea on displaying your wonderful collection! Way to think outside the box!

Troy

Great Stuff! I have wondered why more people do not collect these...and they are affordable! I like USMC aviation squadron related bag art...here is one side.

post-3673-0-51611700-1358723318.jpg