USMC Painted Seabags

Brig

These were on eBay awhile back. I've always found these interesting...for years. Even inspired me back when I was a PFC to write the names of the places I've been with the Corps on my seabag.

_B_0o1BgEWk___KGrHqIOKjQEwWoKrtE6BMPJD_Y_8g___3.jpg

_B_0o2iwCWk___KGrHqIOKjIEwPcsWIP9BMPJDfEfL____3.jpg

_B_0o4_QBGk___KGrHqEOKisEwO_KRqMWBMPJDkOiuQ___3.jpg

_B_0ot_g_mk___KGrHqQOKjwEws_LkR9IBMPJC_qIlw___3.jpg

This is not really Seabag artwork. It is an example of rather crudely applied USMC markings on an Army Duffel Bag.

Named to a V.C. Irwin in several places in both neat stenciled white and black and applied by hand with white and yellow/green.

The bag was made by TWEEDIES in 1943. I picked this up a few years ago at an animal shelter swap meet held in one of the circa 1936-1939 Hangers near the seaplane ramp at the former NAS Seattle Sand Point. I cost all of $1.00 and came with a type written tag attached - presumably from the person who donated it.

The Tag reads:

This is from the war 1942/43 stationed in Guadal Canal (hand written)

This is a Marine's Seabag used in the S. Pacific in 1942/43.

The splashes of paint are made so it can easily be identified

in the hundreds of seabags piled in huge heaps and each man

had to locate his bag on his own. It has not been washed

and is just as it was when released from duty at the end of

World War II.

I am a little doubtful about the Guadalcanal connection or that a 1943 dated bag was used in 1942 but the bag doesn't seem to have been faked for the amount I payed for it. The name is presented in USMC format with first and middle initials. I haven't attempted to research the name.

WWII USMC gear is generally outside my primary focus. Just to confirm did Marines use Army sourced duffel bags during WWII?

post-2980-1294645179.jpgpost-2980-1294645194.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd add a few to the thread. This first bag is one of my favorites, it has artwork on both the front and back. Unfortunately, the picture of the Devil Dog on the back has almost completely worn off, you'll need to use your imagination when viewing it. Because there's 2 names on the bag, Robbie and Fritz, it may have been reissued. Jon

MVC-848S-7.jpgMVC-854S-6.jpgMVC-853S-6.jpgMVC-852S-6.jpgMVC-851S-6.jpgMVC-864S-8.jpgMVC-859S-7.jpgMVC-850S-6.jpgMVC-865S-8.jpg

This second bag is quite a looker, there's so much to look at its hard to take it all in. This marine must have shipped out in a hurry, if you look closely there are no feet on the pin-up girl. By the way, I'm always looking for more sea bags for my collection, contact me if you have any your willing to part with. Jon

MVC-871S-9.jpgMVC-873S-10.jpgMVC-872S-9.jpgMVC-874S-8.jpgMVC-876S-9.jpgMVC-879S-9.jpgMVC-877S-9.jpgMVC-880S-8.jpg

Here is a seabag that was owned by a post ww2 marine who served in korea.It has an eagle over a dark shield

painted on it and the back has his duty stations on it.

P1290461-1.jpg

P1290462.jpg

P1290464.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Corpsmancollector
military006-1.jpg

military008-1.jpg

military007-1.jpg

My goodness! That is incredible! One of the best I have seen...

Have you done any research on the Marine?

Will

My goodness! That is incredible! One of the best I have seen...

Have you done any research on the Marine?

Will

I have not researched the Marine. Now that I have it out I should. I haven't done much on research so it will be good practice.

• 4 weeks later...