Maj. Winters last jump!

Ricardo

Looks like it's real. I too doubted it. Click this news link for more info. I met the man twice, both times before the fame hit them. Good man, no question.

At the risk of sounding crass, I seriously hope the massive amounts of 506th re-enactors will avoid the temptation to try to shoehorn themselves into the proceedings with their impressions...

I am recalling the scene in BOB where he gives a hand to lift his stick into the plane preparing to take-off for Normandy. Tonight, in my mind I see those same men extending their hands to welcome him back into their company. :salute:

R.I.P.

A true Hero! Not only as a warrior but as a human being.

Mr. Winters willingness to share his story inspired a whole generation of people today and has made my job easier to excite youth about history.

We did take down some threads earlier today about this because there were no credible sources, but now local news outlets in Pennsylvania are reporting it.

winters.jpg

A long time ago I printed out "Leadership at the Point of the Bayonet" by Dick Winters and hung this in my home. Beyond Band of Brothers I saw a man of humility who did not seek the glory but instead deflected praise towards his men whom he fondly remembered. Rest assured that Major Dick Winters will continue to inspire for a long time to come and rightly so.

RIP and forever, Airborne!

Lucky 7th Armored

I just learned today he passed:( I had a terrible feeling run through my body. I met the great man once at WWII weekend in a wheelchair and ill never forget it. RIP Major!

Haydn

I just learned today he passed:( I had a terrible feeling run through my body. I met the great man once at WWII weekend in a wheelchair and ill never forget it. RIP Major!

Haydn

RIP - you were an inspiration to me. What a sad day

I never idolized the Band of Brothers any differently than I do all of our veterans, but I will say they hold a special place in my heart as do all of the fighting men and women of our armed forces. Something about these guys has always just screamed 'America' to me though.

I feel as though this is the ending of a legacy as we know it and it truly has become one with history. I am both saddened and put into deep contemplation by this loss.

We have said goodbye to a living legend of sorts, and their story as we know it will never be the same. Their 'biggest brother' has joined them at the gates of Heaven and resumed command of his company-battalion- and regimental mates.

I am at a loss for words, and I am biting my lower lip and holding back a few tears.

Goodbye Major Winters, may God hold you gently in the palm of his hand. Safe sailing out the door trooper. Thank you. :salute:

It is a very sad day for not only for his family but for America as well. As stated in several prior posts, we are losing the greatest generation one hero at a time. God bless Major Winters, his family, and the United States of America.

Hand......salute!

Terribly sad news. Major Winters is at the top of my all time hero list and forever will be, not just for his impeccable service but for his values and the way he lived such a humbled and treasured life. A truly, truly great man and a gentleman of the finest degree. It saddens me that I never got the privelage of meeting him but I feel proudly honoured to have a personal memento of his that I treasure with my life. Let him never be forgotten and my thoughts are with his family.

RIP trooper, and soft landings

:salute:

Corpsmancollector

As said by other members, this is a very sad piece of news. My condolences to Major Winters family and friends.

I think Scott hit the nail on the head; we really are losing the greatest generation, one at a time. I think this particular piece of news, really brings that home.

Rest in Peace sir. :salute:

I am recalling the scene in BOB where he gives a hand to lift his stick into the plane preparing to take-off for Normandy. Tonight, in my mind I see those same men extending their hands to welcome him back into their company. :salute:

Thinking of that brought a tear to my eyes :salute: We have truly lossed someone who had become a legend in his own lifetime. RIP.