Can anyone help with researching a purple heart recipient?

Javelin4life

Javelin4life

Hello everyone,

A while back when I first started with militaria, a friend of mine, who's also a collector, helped me with starting out my collection. He gave me an Air Medal, a Silver Star, and a Purple Heart. Neither the AM or SS are attributed, but the Purple Heart is named to "Joseph Chechourka". I have tried doing research on this person, but I havent been able to come up with anything :unsure: . I'm assuming its due to lack of experience, because I am a relatively new "serious" collector and am still learning the ropes. If anyone has either heard of, or could help point me in the right direction of finding out who this recipient is, I would highly appreciate it :)

Alex

Javelin4life

I know that theres a way to get the full medal to show, but all I saw was the up to 150k upload thing..is there any way to get around that so I can show the full medal?

post-19935-1294605944.jpg

I searched ancestry.com and this is not at all a common name. No one by that name shows up in the WWII enlistment records, but there is a Joseph Anthony Chechourka, son of a WWII veteran and he is of perfect age to have served in Vietnam. Here he is shown with his family on a passenger manifest when they returned from the father's assignment in Europe.

chechpass.jpg

This is all extremely helpful, thank you all

@Forum Support: are there any other documents that say that that specific Joseph Chechourka served in vietnam? Is it possible that the purple heart that I have is either a replacement or late given purple heart to the Joseph Chechourka that served during World War One?

• 4 weeks later...

Dragging this back up, what is the age of the medal? Wrapped broach? From the condition of the back I would think post WWII as opposed to 30s replacement medal...