Marine Raider patches

JGC

I was hoping some of the patch collectors might post some examples of marine raider patches, especially the theater made and undersized variations. Or possibly direct me to a web site that might cover this topic. Thanks Jon

This is what I have in my collection. The lower left patch I believe might be a reproduction. The lower right is probably a factory reject error patch. You probably won't believe this but I purchased the upper left Australian made patch at a flea market for $12.00.

Dennis

post-1389-1189306283.jpg

post-1389-1189306306.jpg

I'm not an expert in this area but it is my understanding that the smaller patch was supposed to have been worn on the tan shirts while the more common larger patch on the dress coat. This small patch is US made on twill. There is a rarer one that is fully emroidered which I've only come across once and it was way to expensive for me.

Dennis

post-1389-1189317088.jpg

post-1389-1189317111.jpg

I've attached photos of the fully emroidered small patch that I kept as reference off of one that was for sale on eBay.

Dennis

post-1389-1189319448.jpg

post-1389-1189319472.jpg

Garth Thompson

Dennis,

That one in the lower right corner without the white border on the diamond and only three stars is one I've never seen before. Do you think it was an error patch or made that way by some obscure manufacturer?

Garth

I'm not an expert in this area but it is my understanding that the smaller patch was supposed to have been worn on the tan shirts while the more common larger patch on the dress coat. This small patch is US made on twill. There is a rarer one that is fully emroidered which I've only come across once and it was way to expensive for me.

Dennis

hi dennis

do you have check this patch under blacklight because there are synthetic threads

i have exactly the same here and mine is good copy!

jürgen

Dennis,

That one in the lower right corner without the white border on the diamond and only three stars is one I've never seen before. Do you think it was an error patch or made that way by some obscure manufacturer?

Garth

Garth,

I have no idea as I'm assuming the manufacture forgot to add the white border and two stars. I got this over fifteen years ago at the Great Western Gun Show in Pomona, California.

Dennis

hi dennis

do you have check this patch under blacklight because there are synthetic threads

i have exactly the same here and mine is good copy!

jürgen

Jurgen,

The upper center one doesn't glow but in a few places deep inside the back of the lower left patch glows.

Dennis

That one does look like one of the fakes that have been popping up lately on eBay and at shows. I've noticed them for a couple of years now. The teeth just don't look right on it.

Jeremiah

• 6 years later...
  • 6 months later...

This is a photo of my Aunt and Uncle on their wedding day, July 1945 in Brooklyn. Robert Kelly, 3rd Raider BN, and later with the 4th Marines, 1st Provisional Marine Brigade on Guam where he was hit. If you'll note the patch is a White bordered variant.

post-34986-0-99310300-1424324927.jpg

Close up of patch.

post-34986-0-52688000-1424325102.jpg

American Heritage

Nice posts.

The smaller version in post #2 in the middle looks different than the more common Wosk type. Any more info on that one?

I have a felt version on cheesecloth shown in the bottom middle row of my display.

post-10864-0-81250700-1424739459.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
blitzkrieg gsd

I had a chance to pick one up at the SOS last week it had a good soft feel to it but not hardly any white on the back. The lack of white on the back scared me off on it. The price was very reasonable I keep thinking I should have taken a chance on it. I ask a few dealers around the guys table there thoughts and I got as many yea as no. What do you guys think about the types with very little to no white on the back? Looks like a couple of the ones above don't have a lot of white on the back of them.

American Heritage

in my opinion, there is no easy answer - I have one or two that are not AS "snowy" as others. There are degrees of "snow" if that makes any sense. Prob better to focus on textbook examples at first, but if a patch feels old and lacks the snow, it may be worth taking a chance on. Also if you are going to collect, buy some of the cheaper repros and study the characteristics and that will be a good lesson to compare the differences of newer ones and legit ones. Modern cheesecloth backed ones are now being made and this is concerning. Some of the current repros are quite good and may look old in a few years.