1944 Ike on ebay

B.A.R.gunner

Reproductions actually tend to fetch more than legit originals. They simply made tons of these things, this one isn't named, decorated, enormously sized, or have a 'wow worthy' unit to a lot of people. You can buy these for good prices all day long.

Looks ok to me, and the insignia combination is reasonable. I'm not into the reenacting thing, so I don't know what repro stuff costs, but I bet a repro ike/pants would cost quite a lot to make - a heck of a lot more than $6 - so the low price signals authenticity to me, rather than the other way around.

My friend is just getting into collecting and he's trying to get some uniforms. Im no good in this field except or the basics. We were wondering why this jacket is so cheap, he thinks its a repro, but it doesnt look like one to me, what do you guys think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/WWII-Ike-Uniform-Jacke...3#ht_500wt_1076

This set is genuine, WWII-vintage. The simple, and, for some, sad fact of the market is that WWII uniforms from generic units like the 8th Army do not bring that much. Of course, there are dozens of variables that affect the price of an item. But keep in mind that these quartermaster-issued uniforms were produced in the millions, and without a compelling story or distinctive insignia (especially for sought-after units), uniforms are fairly cheap. For example, you can get a nice WWII officer's uniforms today for far less than the actual officer had to spend for his tailored uniform. The basic rule of thumb for the value of an item without any special provenance (individual, unit, etc.) is sum of the parts, which in this case amounts to the ike and trousers ($15-$25) and a few pieces of insignia ($15 together, maybe). But, since the interest is so low, you may very well grab it for less than the sum of the parts. Either way, it's an original set and great for anyone looking to start collecting.

Beau

It's not a Repro. It looks like the real thing to me but there is nothing outstanding about this uniform to command a high price. It's a small size, which makes it less desirable and it's from the US 8th Army which fought in the South Pacific which doesn't interest a lot of collectors. To me it's a nice representative piece of a typical WWII Uniform. Millions of guys wore uniforms like this. Not everyone in the Army was a Paratrooper or Ranger, or drove the lead tank of Patton's army. Those uniforms command the higher prices. For a starting collector this isn't bad.

Dennis

Nothing wrong with this ike at all.

Being a size 34 short in itself is a bit unusual and really not worth reproing something in this size.About 15 years ago I was asked by a local re-enactor to find him an ike.I had him try on a few 36s and 38s. I had and a 34L.All to big on him.I finally found him a 34S in a shop in Minnesota.You Minnesota boys may recall Tony and After the Battle.I went through about 50 ikes there and in the bottom of a cardboard 50 gallon drum was one 34S.I gave $15 for it then and no insignia and he was hapy to give me the $15 I paid for it.

Good entry level ike and I for one like the ikes from the "common"man.

RD