Hill 174

greensquid68-69

Those are amazing and also moving Photo's you have got there from your time in Service in Nam

Thank You Very Much for posting those Photos and thank you also for your Military Service

I Salute you Sir for that :salute: as an Ex Soldier my self.

• 2 weeks later...
greensquid68-69

Thank you Vicjoy1945 & 1944 for your taking the time to add your feedback. It's appreciated.

After the action on Hill 174, I was asked to write up a a report for a Silver Star Citation for George Gipson, the young Marine who was killed helping me. I've wondered for decades if he ever received, posthumously of course, the Award. A couple weeks ago I contacted the USMC Awards center & found out he never did. Nor a lesser medal for Valor, which sometimes happens. It is hard to believe he didn't receive something. The paperwork back then must have never reached it's final destination, which could happen.

So I am making a new pursuit to get George his just deserved Medal. I have made contact with my former CO, who originally put George up for the Citation, as he has to be the one to re-introduce the paperwork. He was also unaware it did not happen & is all for the endeavor. I have re-contacted the Awards Dept & have received the proper form & instructions for this quest. The paperwork has to go thru my Congressman & I was told it can take 6 months to a year once the Sec of the Navy receives & makes the decision.

I know it's been 40+ years, but I feel it's never too late in life to do the right thing. Of course I'm hoping it will go thru & perhaps George's family can be notified & presented the Award and he will finally get this symbol of his sacrifice.

Doc

• 2 months later...
greensquid68-69

Here is a copy of the Unit Chronicles for this engagement. I was told by the CO we were almost attacked again during the fight by a supportive NVA Battalion, and it was decimated by air (I mentioned earlier in this account). I notice this chronicle states a NVA Company was routed. I'll go by the Skipper's memory. Also I stated George dies on the spot when shot by the NVA gunner, I now recall he died later after being brought back to the big bomb crater.

I submitted the paperwork for George's Silver Star the first part of this month. It will take a long while to get an answer. Here's hoping the Board comes thru

positively & there is someone in his family that it is still possible to be notified if it does happen. Semper Fi

post-5464-1303772744.jpg

Doc

• 6 months later...
greensquid68-69

Three thousand hits on this thread as of today Veterans Day 11/11/11. It has been both cathartic & rewarding to share this day with so many others. I contacted the USMC Awards center & George Gipson's Silver Star request has recently entered a new phase. It has been sent from there on to the Dept of the Navy for consideration. This portion of the process will take a few more months, and hopefully will be determined favorably.

A salute to all my fellow veterans and a thank you to all that care & support.

Doc Jim Maddox

Three thousand hits on this thread as of today Veterans Day 11/11/11. It has been both cathartic & rewarding to share this day with so many others. I contacted the USMC Awards center & George Gipson's Silver Star request has recently entered a new phase. It has been sent from there on to the Dept of the Navy for consideration. This portion of the process will take a few more months, and hopefully will be determined favorably.

A salute to all my fellow veterans and a thank you to all that care & support.

Doc Jim Maddox

I don't know how I missed this thread when it was first posted but this is an amazing story. Thank you for telling this story to us. This is wonderful that you are trying to get the medal for George Gipson. I certainly hope it all works out. He made the ultimate sacrifice.

Thank you for your service!.....Kat

Jim,

It is indeen good news on this of all days, that the Navy will consider to looking into the request for the award of the Silver Star.

My best wishes for positive news in your future posts!

• 9 months later...
greensquid68-69

A note to say that George Gipson's Silver Star award is still in process. It's been 16 months since submission. I found out the main reason for the delay is some former General submitted a whole slew of requests for his guys around the same time frame as George's and it not only clogged the process but has caused a re-evaluation of the Awards procedures.

Hopefully when all this is worked out, George will finally get his medal.

Doc

• 9 months later...
greensquid68-69

I'm writing to report that after 2 years 2 months of process, yesterday (coincidently D-Day), I was contacted by the USMC Awards center in Quantico Va to tell me that George Gipson was posthumously awarded a Bronze Star with "V". It wasn't the Silver Star that I & others were hoping for, but at least he got some recognition for his brave act. The person at the USMC Awards center told me there had been 8 others that had been submitted that were totally rejected - so compared to that I'm satisfied with the outcome.

Hopefully some member of his family can be located to receive the Medal & Citation.

Semper Fi

Doc JM

• 2 months later...

A moving thread, I am glad George Gipson received something, and that your admirable efforts on his behalf bore some fruit for him and his family. He has not been forgotten.

The photos and your narrative were compelling reading. Thanks again.

greensquid68-69

I appreciate the feedback PAL. The ceremony for PFC Gipson will be held mid Oct at MCRD Parris Island. After searching & finding some of his family, it turns out his Grt Nephew is a Drill Sgt there & arrangements have been made with the base for the event. There will be at least 4 or 5 of his old Golf company members there, including our former CO & around 15- 20 of his family members (he was from a large family) along with the Sgt's graduating recruits & top brass. Should be quite a shindig with an outpouring of emotion - I know I'll have a lump in my throat & a tear in my eye.

The good part is his family will be standing proud & after 45 yrs, know he was one brave soul & like you mention had NEVER BEEN FORGOTTEN.

Semper Fi

Doc