139th AEB Unit Crest

596th AEC

Does any one know where i can find two 139th AEB Unit Crest?

were 139th AEB Unit Crest Made?

Matt A

596th AEC

Does any one know where i can find two 139th AEB Unit Crest?

were 139th AEB Unit Crest Made?

Matt A

596th AEC

Hi Matt,

I do not have an answer to your question, but I suggest that you should contact Oz, his forum name is 17thairborne.

He´s totally into the 139th AEB, perhaps he´s able to help you out.

Good luck!

Tom

The 139th Abn Eng Bn may not have had a DUI (officially authorized). I find none in my refs. Many WWII units with no pre-war existence never got DUIs, mostly because the OQMG stopped approving new designs during 1942.

hey Matt,

They did not have an official DI. I have never seen one. I spoke with several vets from the 139th and they did not recall one. (I asked a couple of vets about the blue/white/red crest with the wings and none recalled it) There is a version of the 139th AEB Crest and there is a patch for sale that is supposedly from the 139th, but I have not verified this with the US Army heraldry Dept. Here's an image of the crest though.

Oz

2526875710103484309S600x600Q85.jpg

PS: The patch I referred to is one of the newly made Unit/Regimental crest patches. I think Saunders sells them. Google 139th patch and they come up readily. About 10 years ago a guy in HI had some water transfer decals of 139th crest for sale. i contacted him several times and never got an answer. The crest I posted is from that 10year old image I found on the HI website a long time ago. I made a graphic to match, but again...I have never verified it.

Oz

The design shown may have been legitimately created while the 17th was active, as a Training Division, July 1948 to June 1949. Whether it was actually MADE and WORN is a separate issue. But it would not be proper for a WWII uniform.

On the other hand, it may be one of the "fantasy" DUIs generated about 30 years ago by Charles Aresta or another "creator" of "for collectors", "gap-filler" emblems. Several Airborne units "benefited" from such latterday attention.

I agree. many possibilities. At some point a request to the USA Dept of heraldry would sort out the mystery. After speaking with the veterans about it I quit looking for one of their DIs.

Oz

There were a number of people who were "creating" DI's for units of that era that never had one. I've heard them called "fantasy pieces". Some had designs apporved but never made. Others never had a design approved.

There were a number of people who were "creating" DI's for units of that era that never had one. I've heard them called "fantasy pieces". Some had designs apporved but never made. Others never had a design approved.

Thanks Everybody!

Matt A

596th AEC