Desert Storm Commemorations this year?

willysmb44

and another version (front and back) for your use.

And some special reminders in the next panel for those who shared the ODS experience....

Al

post-2235-1295997230.jpg

post-2235-1295997256.jpg

Who can ever forget Desert TP (of course it came way late) and the official Desert Storm SPF 15 Sun Block?

Mind numbing heat, stinging sand and a good case of dysentary---Good Times!

regards, Al

post-2235-1295997394.jpg

post-2235-1295997413.jpg

Willy---just for you---Desert storm water labels....What can I say---collectors collect...there sure wasn't much else worth collecting in most of that unholy desert
THANKS very much! :thumbsup:

I'll be printing some of these out and putting on the larger water bottles we can find. i know I won't be able to find the more common square ones, but I'm sure the vets will at least appreciate the effort.

Got some shots together today for our group's website. I had the bayonet on the wrong side of the belt, will move it to the right to avoid the same side as the M17 bag:

DS90LeeDual.jpg

Another series from today. Still waiting on the flak vest cover to arrive, will take more shots at that point I'm sure:

DS90LeeDualPart2smaller.jpg

I was able to find some good digital shots of the Saudi desert online,. Dropping myself into these was frighteningly easy in photoshop, but I won't be posting these as I don't want people to think I'm trying to fool them into thinking I was there as a infantryman...

Some of the units never got any vest cover. I know ours were never opened as we worked the flight line. I saw a transport come in with some Army troops and no one had a vest cover on.

Scott

Some of the units never got any vest cover. I know ours were never opened as we worked the flight line. I saw a transport come in with some Army troops and no one had a vest cover on.
Yeah, I know, and some units didn't have the desert BDUs at all. But if we're doing displays, anything other than chocolate chip pattern stuff would confuse them. It's bes to go with the most common prevelant pattern that the photos support, same as any re-enacting display. At least, that's how I roll.

Oh, as for the faked Saudi photo, the heck with it. I'll post it anyway, as I think it turned out well:

LeeinDesert.jpg

Yeah, I know, and some units didn't have the desert BDUs at all. But if we're doing displays, anything other than chocolate chip pattern stuff would confuse them. It's bes to go with the most common prevelant pattern that the photos support, same as any re-enacting display. At least, that's how I roll.

Oh, as for the faked Saudi photo, the heck with it. I'll post it anyway, as I think it turned out well:

LeeinDesert.jpg

Confuse them? Aren't you doing the displays to SHOW them what we wore and carried?

Scott

Confuse them? Aren't you doing the displays to SHOW them what we wore and carried?
Yes, but my re-enacting philosophy was always to go with the standard, not the exceptions. Sure, you can find people who had only woodland (and I know for sure some people had the three-color desert BDUs late in the war, a vet has shown me photos of them at the tail end of the war wearing with the Kuwait oil fires in the background and he was gone by April 90 and never went back) but I think that the standard desert pattern is the most recognizeable and clearly was issued in great numbers, as well as being themost easily ID'd "look" of that conflict.

Yes, but my re-enacting philosophy was always to go with the standard, not the exceptions. Sure, you can find people who had only woodland (and I know for sure some people had the three-color desert BDUs late in the war, a vet has shown me photos of them at the tail end of the war wearing with the Kuwait oil fires in the background and he was gone by April 90 and never went back) but I think that the standard desert pattern is the most recognizeable and clearly was issued in great numbers, as well as being themost easily ID'd "look" of that conflict.

I understand what you're saying and for the public, you're right. The popular view of Desert Storm is the choco chips, but as for an actual standard, it may well be BDU's. Nearly all of VII Corps wore BDU's, that's 1st AD, 3d AD, 1st ID, 1st Cav, 2d ACR, etc. Not a small contingent by any means. Not to mention that MOPP suits were worn at the begining, but I can understand why you don't want to wear that.

Two other points about your impression: 24th ID, the Victory Division, added a V to both sides of their K-pot covers, some of which were pretty crude, so you may be able to improvise with black tape. I would move that angle-head too, it's in your way and you'll never get a good cheek weld with it there.

Two other points about your impression: 24th ID, the Victory Division, added a V to both sides of their K-pot covers, some of which were pretty crude, so you may be able to improvise with black tape. I would move that angle-head too, it's in your way and you'll never get a good cheek weld with it there.
Funny you mentioned the “V” on the k-pot and the flashlight. I did both of those things just two days ago. I scored a batch of desert helmet covers off eBay and have several different configurations all completed now. As for the flashlight placement, the odd part is the vast majority of photos I have of Desert Shield in several books shows many (if not most) people had them there. Seems like an odd spot, but maybe that has something to do with these photos from the buildup and training, instead of the war itself. I wore this kind of web gear at one point in the Army and always carried my light in a buttpack or ruck (or in the vehicle with the rest of my gear when I went to a mech unit).

As for the MOPP suit, NO, I wouldn't wear one again on a bet! Been there, done that!

Funny you mentioned the “V” on the k-pot and the flashlight. I did both of those things just two days ago. I scored a batch of desert helmet covers off eBay and have several different configurations all completed now. As for the flashlight placement, the odd part is the vast majority of photos I have of Desert Shield in several books shows many (if not most) people had them there. Seems like an odd spot, but maybe that has something to do with these photos from the buildup and training, instead of the war itself. I wore this kind of web gear at one point in the Army and always carried my light in a buttpack or ruck (or in the vehicle with the rest of my gear when I went to a mech unit).

As for the MOPP suit, NO, I wouldn't wear one again on a bet! Been there, done that!

Heck as for the chem suit, either take it to a laundromat and wash it about 5 times or cut out the lining. We did this when we got ready for the "summer excercises". :thumbsup:

Scott