WW1 Reconstruction Aid Uniform

cwnorma

I recently added this WW1 Reconstruction Aide's uniform to my collection:

post-594-1294529300.jpg

The uniform is made of a forest greenish heather grey material. It looks a little more green in the picture but it is actually more of a gray. The hat and skirt are slightly more gray than the manteau. The manteau is lined in maroon silk.

Here is a close up of the Reconstruction Aide insignia:

post-594-1294529324.jpg

Reconstruction Aides were Physical and Occupational Therapists who served "with" the Army during WW1. Despite having taken "Oaths," being required to wear uniforms, and adhere to military standards, at the end of the war they were not granted "Veteran" status. With the exception of Army Nurses, this was generally true of all the women who served with the Army during WW1. The WW1 Reconstruction Aides, along with the "Hello Girls" of the Signal Corps, Female Quartermaster Clerks, and Hospital Dietitians were finally granted full "Veteran Status" along with benefits in 1978.

US Victory Museum

That is one exceptionally rare article of clothing.

I am very much impressed by its condition, as well as that of the other artifacts in your

collection which you have shared with us in the past. Until you posted photos of your

collection, the only images I had ever seen of Great War era women's uniforms were

black-'n'-white low resolution book photos. Color adds a whole dimension of visual data.

Finding such a rare specimen, and in such excellent condition, must have required effort.

As the old adage goes, "The more difficult the search - the sweeter the reward. "

Thank you,

Msn

Thank you for your kind words.

I waited 30+ years to get a crack at one of these. So yeah, finally getting one was pretty sweet.

That is one exceptionally rare article of clothing.

I am very much impressed by its condition, as well as that of the other artifacts in your

collection which you have shared with us in the past. Until you posted photos of your

collection, the only images I had ever seen of Great War era women's uniforms were

black-'n'-white low resolution book photos. Color adds a whole dimension of visual data.

Finding such a rare specimen, and in such excellent condition, must have required effort.

As the old adage goes, "The more difficult the search - the sweeter the reward. "

Thank you,

Msn

• 2 weeks later...
Too Much WW1 Militaria

Man, I can't believe that there haven't been more comments on this! Talk about rare! I've been around this stuff since 1958, and this is the SECOND one of these I've seen, the other was in a museum. Then again, it ain't airborne! LOL

Jack

This is one of those uniforms that is so rare it is hard to comment. I don't remember seeing one in any of the military museums that I have visited, including the one at Sam Houston. What an amazing piece! And to see it with the insignia! Thanks for showing this!

This is one of those uniforms that is so rare it is hard to comment.

Thanks all!

Have often chuckled with other forum members behind the scenes about an unique aspect of this forum: How sometimes you will see someone will post something like, oh say; a Vietnam era cartridge pouch found at a garage sale; and then the comments literally gush forth. Then on the other hand, someone else will post a CW kepi or an experimental helmet and the few who know what they are looking at will comment but most won't. Even the page views will be much lower.

I used to get frustrated by it, but I suppose its like BEAST says. For many, its just too hard to comment without resorting to a simple "Ooh cool!" and a lot of people just don't want to do that. I know I have been guilty of not commenting as well and this year one of the things I have told myself to do as a moderator (and long time collector) is to try to make more substantive comments when people post really rare things. At the very least I want to do a better job of expressing my gratitude and recognizing when people go out of their way to share their super rare items, that as was pointed out above, aren't often even seen in museums.

As a collector, I really like to learn about this stuff--even if it isn't specifically what I collect. This forum truly presents a near unique opportunity to see some fantastic militaria; the likes of which aren't ever likely to be seen in one place, anywhere.

So again, thanks to all for your comments. I do truly appreciate it.

Chris

My great great grandma was in WWI and i think i still have her uniform.

Andrew,

It would be awesome if you were to post it here for us to see!

Chris

I don't think I have ever seen a photo before, at most only a mention of this "branch". Fantastic condition! Thanks for sharing.

"oh cool!"

There's a great collection of female WW1 uniforms at the Smithsonian. I think it was the DAR(?) collected them after the war, and eventually handed it over. But I have to wonder how many of these were remade into civillian clothing during the depression.

Although its been awhile since I have been in any of the museums down town, I do not recalling seeing the collection of WWI woman's uniforms. Are they in the American History Museum?

Although its been awhile since I have been in any of the museums down town, I do not recalling seeing the collection of WWI woman's uniforms. Are they in the American History Museum?

The collection was bequeathed to Smithsonian by the National Society of Colonial Dames and feature prominently in Jill Smith's "Dressed for Duty" books.

Like all Smithsonian collections most artifacts are in storage. All are are available for scholarly research (by appointment), and occasionally are rotated through active displays.

I don't know the status of the WW1 Women's Uniform collection since the designation of the Liberty Memorial Museum as a member of the extended Smithsonian Institution museum network. The collection may no longer be in D.C. as there are Women's uniforms on display in Kansas City. I don't know if these are from the Smithsonian collection or from Liberty Memorial's own extensive holdings?

Chris

• 4 years later...

Thanks all!

Have often chuckled with other forum members behind the scenes about an unique aspect of this forum: How sometimes you will see someone will post something like, oh say; a Vietnam era cartridge pouch found at a garage sale; and then the comments literally gush forth. Then on the other hand, someone else will post a CW kepi or an experimental helmet and the few who know what they are looking at will comment but most won't. Even the page views will be much lower.

I used to get frustrated by it, but I suppose its like BEAST says. For many, its just too hard to comment without resorting to a simple "Ooh cool!" and a lot of people just don't want to do that. I know I have been guilty of not commenting as well and this year one of the things I have told myself to do as a moderator (and long time collector) is to try to make more substantive comments when people post really rare things. At the very least I want to do a better job of expressing my gratitude and recognizing when people go out of their way to share their super rare items, that as was pointed out above, aren't often even seen in museums.

As a collector, I really like to learn about this stuff--even if it isn't specifically what I collect. This forum truly presents a near unique opportunity to see some fantastic militaria; the likes of which aren't ever likely to be seen in one place, anywhere.

So again, thanks to all for your comments. I do truly appreciate it.

Chris

Chris,

Some of the problem is that this thread was filed in the Womens Service Reference section...which I actually hit on by mistake. Wonderful uniform, All I have is a set of the insignia and hat cockade

Keith