tsellati

As the excuse goes, I had the magazine pouch...

...so I just had to get a M1911A1 pistol and M7 shoulder holster to go with it ;) .

Actually, I also already had an original 1945 Remington-Rand M1911A1 pistol in my collection, but, the M7 holster is new. I wanted to include the pistol in the Vietnam War mannequin display of my 1st Cavalry Airborne jungle fatigue jacket and M56 web gear so I had been searching for a nice holster for some time.

Well, I finally came across this one and snagged it for only $40 (which I though was a pretty reasonable price) -

1stcavholsteredfront.jpg

1stcavholsteredback.jpg

1stcavcomposite.jpg

The holster was made by Cathey Enterprise and sports all its original straps and leather ties -

1stcavCatheyEntstamp.jpg

1stcavbeltloop.jpg

1stcavstraps3.jpg

1stcavstraps2.jpg

1stcavstraps1.jpg

And, here are some close-ups of the pistol itself -

1stcav1911A1closeup.jpg

1stcavR-Rlogo.jpg

One question I have is whether there is any way of determining the year of manufacture of the holster based upon the number stamped beneath the "Cathey Ent." logo?

Tim

donation2013.gif

There's an unused one near me for $45 I think it is. I keep passing it up because of pesky crap like house payments and the like.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

One question I have is whether there is any way of determining the year of manufacture of the holster based upon the number stamped beneath the "Cathey Ent." logo? Tim

Hi Tim:

Your Cathey Enterprises, Inc. M7 holster was made post-Viet Nam. Cathey was based in Texas and was a government supplier. It is now out of business but a successor company owned by George Cathey's family members is still operated under a different name. Cathey first had its CAGE Code number assigned by the government in 1982. There is no way to accurately date your holster but I would say that it was probably manufactured between 1982 and the mid-1990s or so.

The number on the back side is actually the drawing number for the M7 holster. The FSN for the M7 is 1095-592-6491.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Hi Tim:

Your Cathey Enterprises, Inc. M7 holster was made post-Viet Nam. Cathey was based in Texas and was a government supplier. It is now out of business but a successor company owned by George Cathey's family members is still operated under a different name. Cathey first had its CAGE Code number assigned by the government in 1982. There is no way to accurately date your holster but I would say that it was probably manufactured between 1982 and the mid-1990s or so.

The number on the back side is actually the drawing number for the M7 holster. The FSN for the M7 is 1095-592-6491.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Aw #$%&@ (and I wanted to type something much worse), that is not what I wanted to hear! Damn-it, I was under the impression that Cathey Ent. was a wartime manufacturer of M7 holsters. Charlie, are you absolutely certain of this information? Not that I necessarily doubt you, I just want you to be certain. Because if you are then that means I don't want to use this holster in the display and I will have to pass it along (and just my luck, I can never sell something for what I pay for it) :crying: .

So, does anyone know how to tell for certain whether an M7 holster is Vietnam War vintage. What EXACTLY should I be looking for? More importantly, does any board member have a known Vietnam War shloulder holster for me.

Crap, you know, sometimes I really just hate collecting :crying: :crying: :crying: .

Tim

donation2013.gif

The FSN for the M7 is 1095-592-6491.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Charlie.

Based upon this information you provided, do you mean to say that a Vietnam War vintage Cathey Ent. M7 holster should have this FSN number stamped on the back?

Thanks for the education.

Tim

donation2013.gif

Tim:

Let me put it this way. Cathey Enterprises did not make M7 holsters for the US Government during Viet Nam.

If you want a VN era M7 holster look for one manufactured by either Bucheimer, Western Mfg. or Hunter Corp. M7 holsters made by Adirondack, Hill Country, Cathey, and KPM are post-Viet Nam made. Bolen may have made some M7s during VN (and did make them post-VN) but I can't be certain of that now without digging around in my archives.

If you have a question about an M7 you are welcome to contact me about it before buying it.

I hope that explanation is a little bit clearer.

Regards,

Charlie

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Charlie,

Yes, that is unfortunately, quite crystal clear. I could have sworn that I saw Cathey Ent. listed as a manufacturer of holsters for the gov during the Vietnam War. I either am mistaken or the information clearly was wrong.

I will see if I can track down a Bucheimer, Western Mfg. or Hunter Corp. M7 holster. And, I will take you up on your offer to offer some advice on what I find before I make a purchase.

Tim

Tim:

Let me put it this way. Cathey Enterprises did not make M7 holsters for the US Government during Viet Nam.

If you want a VN era M7 holster look for one manufactured by either Bucheimer, Western Mfg. or Hunter Corp. M7 holsters made by Adirondack, Hill Country, Cathey, and KPM are post-Viet Nam made. Bolen may have made some M7s during VN (and did make them post-VN) but I can't be certain of that now without digging around in my archives.

If you have a question about an M7 you are welcome to contact me about it before buying it.

I hope that explanation is a little bit clearer.

Regards,

Charlie

donation2013.gif

So, here is another question, what does the number #7791527 refer to? The reason I ask is because it is found on the back of the Cathey Enterprises Inc. M7 holster I recently acquired (see above) and on a Bolen Leather Products Inc. M7 holster (http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/colt-45-pistol-holster-bolen-maker-vietnam) and the Hunter Corp. M7 holster that "Mike D" pointed out to me.

Tim

donation2013.gif

So, here is another question, what does the number #7791527 refer to? Tim

Hi Tim:

As I mentioned in my first post (#4 above) "The number on the back side is actually the drawing number for the M7 holster." All of the manufacturers were required under the terms of their contracts to supply holsters that conformed to the same drawing.

I responded to your PM a little while ago. I don't think you should have any trouble finding a good VN era M7.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Hi Tim:

As I mentioned in my first post (#4 above) "The number on the back side is actually the drawing number for the M7 holster." All of the manufacturers were required under the terms of their contracts to supply holsters that conformed to the same drawing.

I responded to your PM a little while ago. I don't think you should have any trouble finding a good VN era M7.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Ah, OK, of course, now I understand what you mean by drawing number. As the wife says, I can be dense at times :rolleyes: .

Tim

donation2013.gif

Hello!

Joining this old topic with a question for Charlie (Flick...). Got this Cathey M7 holster and wondering if this firm made, as far as you know, also M7 holsters to be sold on the commercial market. Compared to the one which started this topic the markings seems oddly imprinted with a different die... What do you think about, Charlie?

Thanks a bunch!

Fausto

post-8381-1348567309.jpg

Hello Fausto:

Yes, Cathey Enterprises did make M7 holsters that were sold on the civilian market. The good news is that these M7s are identical in all respects to the M7 holsters it sold to the Government, so there really is no way to distinguish between a Cathey M7 sold at the gun shop and one sold to the Government. There was a demand for these holsters and like other small businesses Cathey was eager to fill the need and make another sale. Cathey made very good quality holsters but it is now, regrettably, out of business.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,

Charlie Flick

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.