Pre WWI Mills Garrison Belt w EGA's

teufelhunde.ret

Darrell,

I personally believe this to be a fantasy. That having been said, somebody will probably still pay a mint for it... Notice the seller doesn't make any guarantees either... "Pictures speak for themselves..." Indeed!

Shame is, somebody buggered up a nice M1910 belt to make this...

Chris

post-594-1189272798.jpg

Yes , Indeed

And a 1910 Garrisson belt fitted with the 1917 Cartidges pouches' W/O eagle snaps

"Welcome Idiots" dixit " Manhattan" of Woody Allen

Teufelhund

teufelhunde.ret

Bill, most interesting belt and EGA. Would love to know allot more on this topic of field gear and EGA's. Seems that in most instances, these were created by the individual Marine in a fashion to personalize his deuce gear? Although there are instances that have been pointed out by others, some of these we likely "created or creation" by someone to enhance the web gears value. Anyone care to expand? Would dearly want to know more thumbsup.gif

I have to say..the things I see on Ebay never cease to amaze me. I personally believe that this is a total fake. Real belt....but EGA was added recently. Sometimes things "too good to be true" are...

Teufelhunde.ret,

That belt, in that condition, unmolested would be in the 350 to 450 range.

However, I respectfully disagree with teufulhund. Mills continuted to make the 1910 garrison belt series through FY1919 and after April 1917 they switched construction of the cartridge pouches to 'lift the dot' snaps.

There also was a wartime specification for a garrison belt that has a standard M1912 T-buckle closure, and a simplified size ajustment system, but the pouches for that belt are of sewn construction and distinctly different from the mills manufactured ones. Dorsey calls this simplified belt the M1917 however, I have never found a period reference (outside of Dorsey) officially giving it this nomenclature. In 1918, the government allowed many wartime specifications that simplified the way items were manufactured. Most of these items were only intended for the emergency (WW1). On the other hand, many of these wartime specifications proved to be just as servicible and far cheaper than the pre-war specifications. The famously frugal Army simply dropped the more expensive items in favor of the cheaper ones. The Mills manufactured belts and pouches are of woven construction. Because this was a complicated and laborious process, Mills (and Russell) woven equipment was more expensive. Without the Army's contracts, both companies soon went out of business.

Chris

ended @ $358 w/o hitting reserve, what is the market value of this belt unmolested?

teufelhunde.ret

Chris, thank you for the update & education, guess the seller figures the EGA is a "value added" item. ;) ... that's an expensive piece molested of deuce gear. s/f Darrell