WWII & Pre-WWII Submarine Dolphins

Hi Guys,

Great badges! I just picked up a named US Navy officers uniform from a New England maker and I swear you can see where the dolphins were. Talk about a timely thread. I now need to get a set to replace the lost ones. By the way, anyone have any info on a naval officer named John Packard.

Terry

JLENG, your sub badge collection is truly outstanding. Some more great early Meyer stuff, and I love that engraved one from the crew of R12. Wow. Looks like you have most of the bases covered! Any Australian produced dolphins?

Hi Josh, Nope, No Aussie Dolphins. I have not managed to secure a pair yet. I do have a pair of Submarine Combat Insignia struck by Sheridan but that is it. The engraved Officers Dolphins were given to Carroll T. Bonney. The group also has a letter of congradulations for efficiency signed by Herbert Hoover on White House stationary and his commissioning document for Commander signed by Secretary Knox and FDR.

• 2 weeks later...

Those Australian-made sub badges are few and far between. I have one over-seas cap size badge that I suspect may be Australian-made...or possibly Indian-made due to the pin construction.

It is 1 5/8" wide, marked "ST SILVER", and has an open "C" style catch. What do you think?

IMG_1984_crop.jpg

Those Australian-made sub badges are few and far between. I have one over-seas cap size badge that I suspect may be Australian-made...or possibly Indian-made due to the pin construction.

It is 1 5/8" wide, marked "ST SILVER", and has an open "C" style catch. What do you think?

I personally associated that hardware and maker mark with Sheridan, Perth. Many thanks for showing it!

Regards

Mike

I see H&H sure produced a wide variety of submarine badges during the WWII era. JLENG posted some beautiful examples earlier in this thread...and I have a couple more variations as well. Is there any set chronological order for H&H produced sub badges?

IMG_1990_crop.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a fairly new member to the forums, was there a submarine badge thread ever made, I would be very interested in it, I specifically collect enlisted submarine badges. The meyers with the supports are some of the nicest badges I have ever seen.

Josh, thanks for your kind comments and shared information. My third submarine badge, with the faint Meyer Metal hallmark, had a support hook on the reverse of the conning tower as well. All that remains now is a blackened spot of residual solder.

I've noticed there's been about a half-dozen various threads posted in the past few months regarding submarine badges. Maybe it's time to consolidate all of these wonderful sub badge images under a general "Submarine Badges" thread. I think by combining Josh's examples, with JLENG'S terrific sub badge images, plus contributions from all of the other Forum members with similar sub badge interests, you could establish an in-depth reference thread which could be worthy of pinning for easy access. Just a thought.

Russ

Those Australian-made sub badges are few and far between.

I've been selling off my sub badge collection over the past year or so, but the one I've kept is a Sheridan badge I bought on eBay from a seller in the UK who didn't appreciate what he had. I posted about it here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry395992

There are some fabulous badges posted here. Wish I could have kept up my collection. :crying:

Hello Walk2892,

I believe this current thread has the largest number of WWII Submarine Badge illustrations to date. There are numerous other smaller threads buried in the Forum archives.

Hey SuinBruin,

Your Sheridan produced Submarine Badge is sure a rare and terrific badge. I certainly understand why you would have kept that one!

To all,

I saw this unique WWII era "BOND" hallmarked Submarine Badge listed on ebay this morning (#300525017762). The seller has it listed for $645.00. Beautiful piece, but crazy money...

_CFdd_sgEWk___KGrHqMOKpwE0Vs_ugp0BNVI_BPls____3_1_.jpg

_CFdc5fwCWk___KGrHqMOKpgE0VR2CW_GBNVIZlwr3g___3_1_.jpg

_CFdd_P_EGk___KGrHqEOKpYE0VG_7Eg_BNVIZ_f_Q____3_1_.jpg

Are you still looking to get rid of any enlisted sub badges?

I've been selling off my sub badge collection over the past year or so, but the one I've kept is a Sheridan badge I bought on eBay from a seller in the UK who didn't appreciate what he had. I posted about it here:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...mp;#entry395992

There are some fabulous badges posted here. Wish I could have kept up my collection. :crying:

Are you still looking to get rid of any enlisted sub badges?
just to be clear, but enlisted pin on dolphins did not come into use until August of 1950.

Steve Hesson

In comparing the "BOND" hallmarked Submarine badge illustrated above with this "NANCO" hallmarked example, I see very little difference in design. I suspect the Bond Company never produced their own badges, but instead sub-contracted their orders with larger companies. I have a WWII era finely feathered "BOND" hallmarked set of pilot wings which are identical in style and design to a "BLACKINTON" made pilot wing. I'm fairly certain Blackington probably produced the wings for Bond. Could "Blackington" have produced both the "Bond" sub badge, as well as this "Nanco" hallmarked badge?

IMG_2017_crop.jpg