Buried At Sea

Brig

Hesitated for a couple hours then finally snatched these up...looks to be about Span-Am era, removed from an album or a Naval burial at sea. Shows Marines in three of the images, one giving the volley of fire. Thought I'd grab it, as I doubt these things in original prints come along that often

First image shows Sailors and Marines in formation

_B_FzrsgBmk___KGrHqIOKjYEzmRmHvuZBM_ovzYjl____3.jpg

The sounding of taps...

I was going to pass as I saw this as more of a Navy group, but it just got to me, a somber, real reminder I intend to frame

_B_F0Q6wCWk___KGrHqUOKpQEy_jC5kbhBM_o_GU_gg___3.jpg

Got da Penny

I agree with you about the subject matter, I have a few WW2 burial at sea pics .. I even have a stretcher covered with a Japanese meatball flag.

Carey

I'd be interested in seeing those images...these are the first I've come across of a burial at sea...though I haven't been looking

Charlie Flick
These are the first I've come across of a burial at sea...though I haven't been looking.

Yes, very somber pics.

Here is a photo of a burial at sea from the USS Essex. Casualties from a kamikaze attack. Photo is from the Air

Group 4 site.

kamikaze-5.jpg

Charlie

Brian Dentino

Thanks for posting these Brig. To me, these bring home the real cost and show with great clarity the sacrifice made by our Navy and Marine members while stationed on fleet duty! Very touching images! :salute:

I agree with you about the subject matter, I have a few WW2 burial at sea pics .. I even have a stretcher covered with a Japanese meatball flag.

Carey

Yup... for some reason these ceremonies have always, to me, been among the saddest to think about. Don't know why, and not taking anything from any other casualty.

perhaps because the body isn't available to the family for closure?

I just think of them all, so many many many, beneath the waves, where we cannot see them anymore... our warships passing overhead, year after year, as if on sentry for them still...

thing that struck me about these, back then, notice the ceremony. Everyone's in their best dress, the Marines even wear their gloves

how were these performed? Was it just the body, or a casket? Weighted down to not drift? When was the last burial at sea?

Brig, great stuff for sure! Fantastic photos to a good home.

Burials at sea are still performed to this day, and as far as I know, the procedure hasn't changed much from the time of your photos:

No casket (it won't sink), the body is usually wrapped in a cloth (sewn into it, in the time of the photo, this would have been the sailmakers job believe it or not), with weights inside to ensure the body goes to the bottom. The weights could be dunnage or anything else that will ensure the body doesn't 'pop up' as the internal gasses expand and release (I assure you a 'floater' is EXTREMELY unpleasant and would be even more so as a sailor/Marine from the field of honor).

The body is draped with the colors (I've never heard of one being done with a Japanese flag....I'd bet dollars to donuts that was a Kamakazi pilot or other Japanese and NOT an American) until the moment of departure from the ship, then consigned to the waves. The flag is held by the two sailors at 'the head' of the body, which IIRC is at the the 'top'. (In other words the body goes in feet first).

Hopefully that helps some!

v/r

J

Got da Penny
(I've never heard of one being done with a Japanese flag....I'd bet dollars to donuts that was a Kamakazi pilot or other Japanese and NOT an American)

Jason, correct, My statement should have finished with a Japanese Soldier/Sailor.

I will get it posted asap. very unique.

Carey

Here's a shot of a burial ceremony on the U.S.S. Intrepid in 1944. The bodies are from an earlier Kamikaze attack.

EDIT: The picture isn't showing up in my post on my browser. If that's the case for everybody else, here is the link directly to the image.

(BROKEN LINK REMOVED)

I have a PH to a KIA Corregidor vet who was buried at sea. It is unfortunate that the only memorial to these soldiers, sailors, marines is the memorial in the PI. So unless you make it there, nothing would be known.