USAF Chevrons

ztoddman1

The army had different model numbers for the different style chevrons, i.e. M1920, M1942, M1948, M1951, etc. Did the USAF have something similar? I have a ton of USAF chevrons ranging from cut edge, merrowed edge, subdued, full embroidered, partial embroidered. Any help or info would be grateful.

The Air force, in it's infinite wisdom, has redesigned it's chevrons more times in the past 60 years than the army did in a hundred LOL. That's what makes collecting them such a challenge..and fun.

This link, written by the Air Force, is the best breakdown I've seen, at least to 1992. The chevrons did in fact change again, but they are shown in Figure 10 of the article. Don't forget, there are also OD's, desert, 'silver', white....You could spend a LOT of time locating all the varients from all the years.

http://www.afhra.af.mil/shared/media/docum...-090611-103.pdf

It's been my experience that the more senior ranks are the more difficult to locate in all the varients.

thanks, have downloaded it, print it, read it 50 times and still confusing. Wish it was as easy as the armys SSI, cut edge or merrowed edge or the stripes, wool on wool, embroidered, or the rayon type.

thanks, have downloaded it, print it, read it 50 times and still confusing. Wish it was as easy as the armys SSI, cut edge or merrowed edge or the stripes, wool on wool, embroidered, or the rayon type.

:lol: Not to mention experimental, theater-made and other such variants.

The AF has been trying to differentiate and/or make itself the same as the Army ever since 1947.

It gets a bit embarrassing at times...

LOL. Got that right.

I realize that little 'history' thing can be confusing but it's really the best reference out there. Believe me as a long time AF chevron collector I feel your pain LOL. I'm constantly referring to that as well as other documents I have trying to figure out what period what chevron goes with what and where. :)

Post some of your examples up that you have questions about....there are TONS of experts here and you'll get your ID's in a jiffy!

LOL. Got that right.

I realize that little 'history' thing can be confusing but it's really the best reference out there. Believe me as a long time AF chevron collector I feel your pain LOL. I'm constantly referring to that as well as other documents I have trying to figure out what period what chevron goes with what and where. :)

Post some of your examples up that you have questions about....there are TONS of experts here and you'll get your ID's in a jiffy!

well I thought about that but I think I am going to put them on the back burner and finish up my WWII SSI. Something I am fairly confident about! My whole goal was to get a display going but am the type that I do not like to put the wrong patch and/or mislabel it. I did run across this last night from an earlier, a WAY earlier post here on the forum..

Blue/Silver Original Cut Edge 4", Addition of Super Grades, First Sergeants -- 11 Stripes

Blue/Silver Original Cut Edge 3", Addition of Super Grades, First Sergeants -- 11 Stripes

Blue/Silver Merrow Edge 4" -- 14 Stripes

Blue/Silver/S Merrow Edge 3" -- 14 Stripes

Black/Bright Silver Cut Edge 4" -- 12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

Black/Bright Silver Cut Edge 3" --12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

Blue/Bright Silver Bullion Cut Edge 4" -- 12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

Blue/Bright Silver Bullion Cut Edge 3" -- 12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

Blue/Bright Silver Merrow Edge 4" -- 12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

Blue/Bright Silver Merrow Edge 4" -- 12 Stripes (Mess Dress)

White/White Merrow Edge 4" -- 12 Stripes

White/White Merrow Edge 3" -- 12 Stripes

Green/Blue Early Merrow Edge 4" -- 14 Stripes

Green/Blue Early Merrow Edge 3" -- 14 Stripes

Blue/White Merrow Edge 4" -- 14 Stripes

Blue/White Merrow Edge 3.5" -- 14 Stripes

Green/Blue Current Merrow Edge 4" -- 14 Stripes

Green/Blue Current Merrow Edge 3.5" -- 14 Stripes

E2-E4 Straight Prototypes 3" -- 3 Stripes

Red/Yellow Prototypes 4" -- 6 Stripes

Blue/Orange Prototypes 4" -- 6 Stripes

Blue/Blue Prototype 4" -- 14 Stripes