Anyone going to FIG 2011?

ww2_1943

Hey gang,

Anybody here on the forum going to Fort Indiantown Gap for the annual 2011 Battle of the Bulge reenactment. I have been going since 2002. I'm with the American 45th. We are registered with K Company.

www.45thdivision.org

I will be there with Easy Co. 2/506th PIR 101st AB (reenacting)

First time attending :thumbsup:

The first time is alway the best!

Cobrahistorian

This'll be my 17th Gap. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Keep an eye out for the 9th AF pilot looking for his P-47.

Jon

The first time is alway the best!

Heard that before, but have also heard some rumblings toward the event. But it is all how I make it out to be haha.

I wanted to go up but will be out of town that weekend....maybe next year...the 29th usually has great representation there.

Heard that before, but have also heard some rumblings toward the event. But it is all how I make it out to be haha.

That is why the first time is the best. You will be so overwhelmed with all the great things at the event. As you keep attending the cynicism sets in ;). I take the event for it is and make the best of it :thumbsup:

This'll be my 17th Gap. I'll be there Friday and Saturday. Keep an eye out for the 9th AF pilot looking for his P-47.

Jon

I'll be looking for you! Especially since I am dying to go to grad school for museum work. I'll try not to ask you too many questions :)

Please, somebody, post pictures! This event seems to get bigger every year.

I had the pleasure of sleeping in those wooden barracks for a couple of ROTC training weekends. Thought it was all neat and historical and everything until I spent a full summer in one at Ft. Bragg. Became even less enchanted with them when I saw one burn to the ground in less than 6 minutes during a fire training drill at Aberdeen Proving Ground.

Back at Indiantown Gap though, I remember the surprise we had waking up one Sunday morning. We'd had what was euphemistically called a "cadet social event" the night before, and most of us were pretty hungover the next morning. There was a foggy mist that made it hard to see even the next barracks. We looked out and thought we were having a mass hallucination... there were deer standing between the buildings! It seems that hunting season was about to begin. The staff told us that every year they would come down out of the woods and hide between the buildings because some how they had figured out they would not get shot there! How is that for a natural adaptation!

Corpl. Cleaver

Cody, what unit will you be there with? The 4th MP or the 5th Rangers?

Sarah, I'll keep my eyes open for you. It's always fun to see you and Mike at events.

168737_123941724338972_100001694344053_143489_5300120_n.jpg

If you see this guy please stop and introduce yourself.

Tyler

That is why the first time is the best. You will be so overwhelmed with all the great things at the event. As you keep attending the cynicism sets in ;). I take the event for it is and make the best of it :thumbsup:
Too true. I went several times when I lived in Florida, haven’t been back since 95. The first time, my jaw was on the ground most of the time. I didn’t even complain about the lack of coordination and “Chinese Fire Drill” mentality until the following year, I was so blown away by what I saw that first time. But back then, it was common to get stopped up behind very long columns of armored vehicles. I’d love to go back but I’m at the opposite end of the continent now. There’s a well-dedicated correspondent contingent that shows up there now and I’ve been wanting to get back to FIG for that reason.

Still, if I go again, I’ll swear I won’t go to Funck’s restaurant (seriously, it’s some of the worst service you’ll ever have, high prices and mediocre food at best) but would probably go anyway as there’s nothing else close by.

Re Post #17: The nearest feeding trough that is satisfactory is a Perkins, at a truck stop one or two exits west from Funck's. IIRC it is open 24/7.
There's also a bar/grille somewhere in the opposite direction away from the highway. I have no idea where it is as I rode out there and hung around with the 4th AD tank crewman guys one evening. I still have no iea where I was but it was very close by and they had pretty good burgers and beer...

Cobrahistorian

There's actually plenty to eat just a few exits down 81. Funck's is pretty crappy, but I wouldn't say the prices are high at all! They're dirt cheap for most things, but you get what you pay for. Mediocre service at best and food that's well... typical Pennsylvania diner food.

As for the WarCos, my ex fiancee was a founding member. Thankfully she's moved on to different things, as have I. :D

Hey Tyler, got your grenade packed and ready to go.

WillysMB, hmm... you were hanging out with 4th AD in 1995? We probably crossed paths. I was with them from 94-98 when I split off with a couple friends to form the FSSFLHG. The event was a hell of a lot better in those days...

Cobrahistorian
I'll be looking for you! Especially since I am dying to go to grad school for museum work. I'll try not to ask you too many questions :)

Ask away! Always happy to help.

I'll be there with the 5th Rangers along with my wife. She'll be doing WARCO.

We're both looking forward to another fun event. It will be our 2nd FIG. We went last year and has a blast!

--Pat

Cobrahistorian
Cobrahistorian are you still with the FSSF? If so we are in the same barracks this year.

Cody

Cody,

I'll probably crash there Friday night with the guys, but I'm strictly a 9th AF Aviator now. My days of running around in the woods are long over. If Uncle Sam tells me to do it, that's one thing, but no more of doing it for fun!

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

Yea, I felt it lacking in several areas. Disappointing is a good adjective. The bussing situation I felt could have been handled better. Why weren't the backroads plowed in time for the event on Friday morning? There should've been a back-up plan to prevent overloading of the 2 buses capable of making the trip back after the Sat. battle.

I always hate the fact that at FIG there is no procedure set up to on how to take hits. Do you take your helmet off? Do you fall back x feet and wait y amount of time before coming back in? I think establishing a procedure to take hits would go a long way in reducing the arguments over "taking hits". However, I am well aware that if I wanted an event that was conducted historically, FIG is NOT the event to do. FIG is for busting blanks and socializing.

--Pat Costa

Corpl. Cleaver

I never used the busses, but they should have thought that thru alot more. No chains on unpaved roads covered with snow, bad idea. I was mechenized infantry in a half-track, and we had to winch the 3rd bus out of the ditch.

Something does need to be done about taking hits. I just took off my helmet and waited until my unit advanced X amoubt of feet past me.

Tyler