WW2 Civil Air Patrol chevrons

Garth Thompson

Garth Thompson

In the past I've seen quite scarce WW2 CAP chevrons misidentified as USMC WW2. I would like to attempt to clear that up a little. The red background on CAP chevrons is a deeper red but the big difference is the chevrons themselves are an almost identical OD shade to the US Army chevrons of the period and are embroidered as opposed to the USMC applied or bevo chevrons. The CAP chevrons will also have a distictive gauze base material. Search those junk boxes, teh CAP was pretty small in WW2 and the chevrons are scarce.

Garth

Here are a couple of examples:

Staff Sgt

post-83-1294423342.jpg

post-83-1294423354.jpg

In the past I've seen quite scarce WW2 CAP chevrons misidentified as USMC WW2. I would like to attempt to clear that up a little. The red background on CAP chevrons is a deeper red but the big difference is the chevrons themselves are an almost identical OD shade to the US Army chevrons of the period and are embroidered as opposed to the USMC applied or bevo chevrons. The CAP chevrons will also have a distictive gauze base material. Search those junk boxes, teh CAP was pretty small in WW2 and the chevrons are scarce.

Garth

Here are a couple of examples:

Staff Sgt

Garth,

Do they all have the gause backing?

I have some that look like them but with out the backing. I thought that they were USMC from the 50s.

John

The stripes themselves on these CAP chevrons should be exactly like Army stripes in shape and color. The only difference is the red background. They were made on wool and twill backgrounds. The red background CAP chevrons were officially replaced starting in Feb. 1945 with standard US Army chevrons, but continued to be worn for months afterward. Many collectors do confuse these with Marine Corps chevrons, and the old regulations specifically state that USMC chevrons are NOT to be used. Also, there seems to have been some CAP chevrons made by members during this time period that have a home-made red background with stripes cut from standard Army chevrons and applied. This was due to the low priority given the manufactuer of CAP insignia and wartime shortages. The red chevrons were worn by both senior members and Cadets, but with different shoulder patches, cap insignia and collar cut-outs senior members and cadets had distinctive uniforms.

Red background CAP chevrons from WWII are fairly scarce.

Garth Thompson

John,

The ones I've seen have the gauze backing but the could have been done without the backing.

Garth

John,

The ones I've seen have the gauze backing but the could have been done without the backing.

Garth

Here is one I have. I have been looking and have not found a reference to the flat rockers. It doe shave the gause backing.

In alos haver a tech and a master tech.

post-9830-1294800651.jpg

Garth Thompson
Here is one I have. I have been looking and have not found a reference to the flat rockers. It doe shave the gause backing.

In alos haver a tech and a master tech.

John,

I'm pretty sure you have an odd embroidered USMC chevron there. The CAP didn't use flat rockers at all according to the CAP insignia pub that our forum member Lee Regan did.

Garth

John,

I'm pretty sure you have an odd embroidered USMC chevron there. The CAP didn't use flat rockers at all according to the CAP insignia pub that our forum member Lee Regan did.

Garth

That's right. CAP never used any chevrons with "ties". What you have there is a USMC Staff Sergeant used from the 30's till about 1947. With a rocker on the bottom, it would be a Platoon Sergeant.

craig_pickrall

If the CAP chevrons match the Army pattern then they should be 3" wide while the USMC chevron should be 3 1/2" wide.

If the CAP chevrons match the Army pattern then they should be 3" wide while the USMC chevron should be 3 1/2" wide.

How cut and dried is the 3" and the 3 1/2"?

I ask because I have ones with the curved rockers that are 3 1/2" wide.

John

craig_pickrall

I have measured some that vary by as much as +/- 1/8". I have measured way more Army versions bacause they are so plentiful. The USMC versions are usually very close to the 3 1/2".

Garth Thompson
How cut and dried is the 3" and the 3 1/2"?

I ask because I have ones with the curved rockers that are 3 1/2" wide.

John

John,

The 3 1/2" curved rocker ones you have are also USMC. The flat rocker are the technical grades and the round rockers are the line grades.

Garth

and 2 more I pt the yellow one in as it also has the gause backing.

So am I correct in saying the major difference in the USMC and the CAP chevrons are the size?

post-9830-1294942925.jpg