5 star medals and decorations

4STARCHRIS

Can we account for all the Fleet Admirals and Generals of the Army medals and decorations?

Fadm Halsey

Fadm Nimitz

Fadm King

Fadm Leahy

GOA MacArthur

GOA Ike

GOA Marshall

GOA Bradley

Let's post what we have and see what we can gather.

4starchris

I don't know if you wanted pictures, or if you just wanted a list for a jumping off point, but since FADM Nimitz was a Texan, I feel obliged to reply:

U.S. Awards: Submarine Warfare Badge, Navy Distinguished Service Medal with two gold stars, Silver Lifesaving Medal, Army Distinguished Service Medal, WWI Victory with Navy Commendation Star Star and one battle star, American Defense, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign, American Campaign, WWII Victory, National Defense.

Foreign Awards: UK: Knight Grand Cross of the British Order of the Bath, and the Pacific Star. France: Legion d'honneur. Phillipine Medal of Valor, Phillipine Liberation Medal with bronze star. Netherlands: Order of Orange-Nassau with Swords in the degree of Knights Grand Cross. Greece: Grand Cross of the Order of George I. China: Grand Cordon of Pao Ting. Guatemalan Cross of Military Merit, First Class. Cuban Grand Cross of the order of Carlos Manuel de Cespedes. Argentina: Orden del Libertador San Martin. Ecuador: Star of Abdon Calderon. Belgian Grand Cross Order of the Crown with palm and Belgian Cross of War with palm. Knight of the Grand Cross of the Military Order of Italy and the Brazilian Order of Naval Merit.

Fleet_Admiral_Chester_W._Nimitz_portrait.jpg

Apparently Admiral Nimitz didn't like wearing his foreign awards.

FADM Halsey:

U.S. Awards: Naval Aviator Wings, The Navy Cross, Navy Distinguished Service Medal with three gold stars, Army Distinguished Service Medal, Navy/USMC Presidential Unit Citation, Mexican Service Medal, WWI Victory Medal with Destroyer Clasp, American Defense with Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, American Campaign Medal, WWII Victory, and the National Defense Service Medal.

Foreign: Philippine Liberation Medal, two stars, and UK's Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire.

**EDIT**

There seem to be a couple of other ribbons on his portrait:

W_Halsey.jpg

FADM King.

U.S. Awards: Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal with two gold stars, Spanish Campaign Medal, Sampson Medal, Mexican Service Medal, Victory Medal, Atlantic Fleet Clasp, American Defense Service Medal, with bronze "A", American Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal.

Foreign Awards: Grand Cross of the National Order of the Légion d'honneur (France), Croix de guerre (France), Commander of the Order of Vasco Nunez de Balboa (Panama), Officer of the Order of the Crown of Italy, Knight of the Grand Cross of the Military Order of Italy, Order of Merit, Grande Official (Brazil), Naval Order of Merit (Cuba), Estrella Abdon Calderon (Ecuador), Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the Bath (United Kingdom), Order of the Sacred Tripod (China), Grand Cross of the Order of George I (Greece), Grand Officer of the Order of the Crown, Croix de Guerre (Belgium), and Order of Orange-Nassau (Netherlands).

g416885.jpg

FADM Leahy

U.S. Awards: Navy Cross, Distinguished Service Medal with two gold stars, Sampson Medal, Spanish Campaign Medal, Philippine Campaign Medal, Nicaraguan Campaign Medal (1912), Mexican Service Medal, Dominican Campaign Medal, World War I Victory Medal with "Overseas" clasp, American Campaign Medal, World War II Victory Medal, National Defense Service Medal

Also looks like a marksmanship medal ribbon on his uniform?

William_Leahy_cropped.jpg

Sorry for the confusion. Does anyone have pic of the medals and decorations and where they are?

Own museum or in a museum?

GOA MArshall's are in his museum?

4starchris

FADM Halsey:

U.S. Awards: Naval Aviator Wings, The Navy Cross, Navy Distinguished Service Medal with three gold stars, Army Distinguished Service Medal, Navy/USMC Presidential Unit Citation, Mexican Service Medal, WWI Victory Medal with Destroyer Clasp, American Defense with Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, American Campaign Medal, WWII Victory, and the National Defense Service Medal.

Foreign: Philippine Liberation Medal, two stars, and UK's Knight Grand Cross of the Order of the British Empire.

**EDIT**

There seem to be a couple of other ribbons on his portrait:

W_Halsey.jpg

Thanks for the post and quick medal list. But lets go above and beyond and see if we can list "ALL" and show pics of "ALL" the awards.

Lets make a great reference of all the decorations with pics if we can.

Has anyone see ALL the 5 star's decrations?

I mean seen ALL of the 5stars stuff.

4starchris

Do you mean "where they are now"?

Bill

Bill thanks for the reply. Yes, where are they now located. Are they on display for the public to see?

Has anyone seen All of them?

4starchris

GA George Marshall's medals are in the Marshall Library on the the campus of the VMI.

GAF Hap Arnold's medals are in Arnold Hall at the USAFA.

GA Douglas MacArthur's medals are at his museum/Memorial in Norfolk, VA

FA Nimitz's medals (at leastthe minis) were at the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, TX but I think I remember reading they were lost in a fire.

President Eisenhower's medals are in his Presidential Library in KS along with Bedle Smith's.

Have no clue about Leahy, King, Halsey or Bradley.

Jim

GA George Marshall's medals are in the Marshall Library on the the campus of the VMI.

GAF Hap Arnold's medals are in Arnold Hall at the USAFA.

GA Douglas MacArthur's medals are at his museum/Memorial in Norfolk, VA

FA Nimitz's medals (at leastthe minis) were at the Nimitz Museum in Fredericksburg, TX but I think I remember reading they were lost in a fire.

President Eisenhower's medals are in his Presidential Library in KS along with Bedle Smith's.

Jim

Does anyone have a good pic of McArthur's Purple Heart? I believe that it is number 1, the first PH issued. Is that correct?

Does anyone have a good pic of McArthur's Purple Heart? I believe that it is number 1, the first PH issued. Is that correct?

There's a pic in the thread about MacArthur's medals here on the forum.

Dave

The Naval Academy museum had two of the five star sets of medals on display, but for the life of me I can't remember who they belonged to... :pinch:

The Naval Academy museum had two of the five star sets of medals on display, but for the life of me I can't remember who they belonged to... :pinch:

Nimitz, I believe...

I will have to check but I believe that GOA Omar Bradley's Awards are here in El Paso, at the Fort Bliss Museum. The Fort Bliss museum has gone through major changes since the Air Defense Artillery school has moved to Fort Sill. The museum now houses vehicles and equipment from the 1st Armored Division when they moved back from Germany. I have seen General Bradley's office desk and other articles belonging to the General on display at the museum. If I remember correctly, there is an Ike jacket that belonged to him on display, as well as other items. General Bradley lived in El Paso, Texas for some time, and became a landmark figure here. I will check when I have some time and take some pictures of the display they have. (if it still exists, which I am sure it does)..

Leigh...

Great replies.

WE have started to account for almost all of them.

Naval Academy I know is Halsey.

Nimitz uniform on display.

FADM King is on display on the Naval Yard. At least his foriegn sashes/ grand cross but not his American medals per sey.

FADM Leahy remains unaccounted for.

Can we start posting pics of the displays or exhibits?

Does anyone have cool pics of the decorations.

For our outside the country members lets make this forum here a great resource for all to see the great leaders awards.

If we already have previously posted pics can we link them to keep from using more space?

4starchris

There's a pic in the thread about MacArthur's medals here on the forum.

Dave

Do you have a link handy Dave? I can't find it with a quick search.

Robswashashore
I will have to check but I believe that GOA Omar Bradley's Awards are here in El Paso, at the Fort Bliss Museum. The Fort Bliss museum has gone through major changes since the Air Defense Artillery school has moved to Fort Sill. The museum now houses vehicles and equipment from the 1st Armored Division when they moved back from Germany. I have seen General Bradley's office desk and other articles belonging to the General on display at the museum. If I remember correctly, there is an Ike jacket that belonged to him on display, as well as other items. General Bradley lived in El Paso, Texas for some time, and became a landmark figure here. I will check when I have some time and take some pictures of the display they have. (if it still exists, which I am sure it does)..

Leigh...

Leigh --I would be very interested to see what you can get on General Bradley -- I went to college with his grand-daughter, and my grandfather served as a doctor in the VA from 1930 until his death in 1950. (That's how he managed to get invited to WWII after having done his part in the First War!) I know "Omar" (as his grand-daughter always referred to him) was the head of the VA, and I have seen portraits of him with that beautiful blue and gold VA Phoenix patch -- just like the one I inherited from grand-daddy.

I also remember how horrified his family was that Carl Malden played his character in the movie Patton (Which came out when I was in college) "That Malden fellow has terrible posture! Not the proper military bearing AT ALL!"

Gracias Ricardo. I was hoping to see a picture of the number 1 on the PH. Still a great set of photos.

Since these are my photos and the link long gone if members are interested I can repost thedecorations of Mac.

However, Its alot of them.

4starchris

Since these are my photos and the link long gone if members are interested I can repost thedecorations of Mac.

However, Its alot of them.

4starchris

Please do so. I am fascinated by this thread.

Please do so. I am fascinated by this thread.

I'll start tonite. I'll start with the rare one and work up to the american ones unless someones objects.

I am like you. I am fascinated by the 5 star awards and decoration and never have seem all of them in one easy place fro reference so why not here.

4starchris