USS Mc Farland DD-237

kyhistorian01

kyhistorian01

Here is a photo I recnetly found of the USS Mc Farland, I thought I would share with you.

McFarland, having served a month with the Atlantic Fleet, departed for European waters 30 November 1920. For the next 2 months she operated in the English Channel, sailing for Gibraltar 31 January 1921. On 9 March she arrived at Split for a 4-month tour with the Adriatic Detachment. In July she continued eastward, and at Constantinople, on the 31st, joined ships of the Turkish Waters Detachment.

Returning to the United States only once (8 July to 22 October 1922), McFarland remained in the Black Sea and eastern Mediterranean area until spring 1923. During that period she performed quasi-diplomatic and humanitarian roles necessitated by the aftermath of World War I. She cruised regularly to Black Sea and Anatolian ports, distributing American relief supplies to Russian, Greek, and Turkish refugees and providing transportation, mail, and communications facilities.

McFarland returned to New York and on 15 September 1923 joined the Scouting Fleet at Newport, Rhode Island. With only two interruptions, she operated along the east coast and in the Caribbean for the next 17 years. The first interruption came with a cruise to Hawaii for the 1925 fleet problem involving an attack on Oahu; the second, a year out of commission, in reserve, at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 1931

Converted to a Seaplane Tender (Destroyer) in 1940 she operated out of Pearl Harbor. She was operastin off Maui doing anti-sub manuevers on Dec 7, 1941. Served off Guadalcanal and was damaged by Japanese bombs on October 16, 1942. After repairs she was sent to the West Coast, was redesignated a Destroyer and operated out of San Diego, CA for the rest of the war operating with carriers during training of pilots. She was decommisioned in late 1945 and scrapped in 1946.

She earned two battle stars for WWII service as well as the Presidential Unit Citation

post-6492-1294169363.jpg