m1903a3 accurate for mid war eto?

neilhg

thanks i have been to their sight befor but i have been told the garand fo 495 are i realy beat up shape

thanks

neil

Gotta be careful with taking people at their word on things like this, in my opinion. What does "really beat up shape" mean to the person(s) who told you that? Some people feel that lousy wood on an M1 means it's in 'bad shape' Other people are talking strictly about the wear on the firearm at the muzzle, crown, and throat. Still others expect to get a brand-new looking firearm and if they don;t get it, it's 'really beat up'

The CMP has strict guidelines on how the rifles are graded. If you get one and you find it does not meet the criteria for the grade you bought, they will replace it. They aren't like Bass or Cabela's and they don't run their sales the same way

Truth be told, if you see some photos of rifles carried in combat and in stateside training, they look 'really beat up'. I think that one thing that actually taints people's perception of CMP rifles is that they see all these photos of gorgeous rifles, and people say "I only paid 595 for it" or "This is a rack grade, can you believe it?" but the photos are almost all of the rifles after they have been cleaned up and beautified. The photos are almost never, ever of the rifle out of the box. But the photos don;t tell that story, they just show a nice rifle. And then somebody gets hooked on the idea that their similar grade rifle will be like that when it shows up, but of course it can't be

Do not write off the CMP. Look into it for yourself is my advice :)

Chunky Monkey
Gotta be careful with taking people at their word on things like this, in my opinion. What does "really beat up shape" mean to the person(s) who told you that? Some people feel that lousy wood on an M1 means it's in 'bad shape' Other people are talking strictly about the wear on the firearm at the muzzle, crown, and throat. Still others expect to get a brand-new looking firearm and if they don;t get it, it's 'really beat up'

The CMP has strict guidelines on how the rifles are graded. If you get one and you find it does not meet the criteria for the grade you bought, they will replace it. They aren't like Bass or Cabela's and they don't run their sales the same way

Truth be told, if you see some photos of rifles carried in combat and in stateside training, they look 'really beat up'. I think that one thing that actually taints people's perception of CMP rifles is that they see all these photos of gorgeous rifles, and people say "I only paid 595 for it" or "This is a rack grade, can you believe it?" but the photos are almost all of the rifles after they have been cleaned up and beautified. The photos are almost never, ever of the rifle out of the box. But the photos don;t tell that story, they just show a nice rifle. And then somebody gets hooked on the idea that their similar grade rifle will be like that when it shows up, but of course it can't be

Do not write off the CMP. Look into it for yourself is my advice :)

Well said Chri_B :thumbsup: Bottom line is that CMP has the best Customer Service ~ bar none!!

Another thing in defense of the CMP, A lot of very good, shootable bores have been replaced before the shooter has put round 1 down it.

I have replaced several "outstanding" bores that gauged poorly. The CMP armorer has told me that he has replaced dozens... Shoot them first than see if it keeps a group and needs to be replaced.

As for the 1903's in mid to late war, well there are some very good pictures from the Holland campaign (Market garden) of the 1903 equipped grenadiers in the 101st, yes a front line infantry unit! The big complaint from the troops (from no other than Don Burgett no less) is that that M-7 launcher make the m-1 into a rather lousy bolt action... The grenadiers were given the option, most of them chose the lighter and more reliable (for grenades) 1903 with grenade spigot.

The Semi-auto issue was not fixed until the advent of the M-7a2 launcher. That did not come out in time to see major action. Now the M-1 carbine with a grenade spigot was out there, but (from firing a few training grenades from my m-1 garrand) that looks just dangerous and fragile for this application...

So what rifle dose this leave you?

I have had good luck with the CMP. My rifles have come in somewhat varying degrees of condition. They have all cleaned up nicely. This is a picture of 2 CMP rack grades, SA Garand 1941 rifle, Underwood carbine. I replaced nothing on these, just cleaned and oiled.

015.jpg

ive actually read recently that the M1903A3 was used until the M7 rifle grenade adapter was created for the Garand as the M1 adapter couldnt be used. Hence the squad Grenedier used the M1903A3 during mid war.

• 2 years later...
dan_the_hun84

03A3s do turn up in period photos in the ETO 44-45 but I echo a lot of others that they are usually seen with non-infantry personnel such as MPs, Engineers, etc. My wife's Grandfather was a QM SSGT in the 9th AAF and he carried a '03.

There is one picture of 89th Division troops huddled down in a boat crossing the Rhine, and there is a couple of 03A3s in the mix of Garands. I believe there is another well known pic of some armored infantrymen in Normandy wearing the infamous camouflage HBT uniforms checking some German POWs and one of the grunts has either a 03 or an 03A3.