Modern Flight Helmet Collections

TLeo

After exchanging some info and photos over in the grouping section about VF-84 -- I thought I would see who else collects modern flight helmets and start off by showing a few of mine.

vx4.jpg

IMG_0819.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

IMG_1424.jpg

Thanks for sharing your helmets. Anything from the 50/60's? :thumbsup:

Yves, your presentations and stuffs are always very nice...

(For those who are interested by vintage flight helmets, you can click on some links below in my signature.)

Franck

I only have one helmet in my display right now. It is a new style Foilage Green HGU-56 with Oregon Aero liner and a Prototype Gentex flex-boom mic. I have the much vaunted G Co. logo drawn on the visor cover. Gotta find a better display case for it, plywood just doesn't display well.

k33uo4.jpg

Very nice collections. I especially like the "Pukin Dogs". I wish there were more A-6 attack helmets represented. Everyone seems to gravitate towards the fighter guys. :rolleyes:

Very nice collections. I especially like the "Pukin Dogs". I wish there were more A-6 attack helmets represented. Everyone seems to gravitate towards the fighter guys. :rolleyes:

I had a few more attack helmets and sold them but in the first post-bottom shelf is two Marine attack squadrons and above them is a navy attack squadron. VMA-331, VMA-332, and VA-205. I think the one with the 76 on the back of it is a A-4 squadron but never been sure.

I had a few more attack helmets and sold them but in the first post-bottom shelf is two Marine attack squadrons and above them is a navy attack squadron. VMA-331, VMA-332, and VA-205. I think the one with the 76 on the back of it is a A-4 squadron but never been sure.

Yes you definitely have a great collection. Thanks for posting. I see alot of NAS Oceana squadrons in your collection. I spent practically my whole career in A-6's at Oceana. Had a great time. Check your PM's.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
blitzkrieg gsd

Nice helmets for sure i dont see a lot of them for sale are they hard to find never collected any helmets. Is the bottom one in post 2 a jolly rogers helmet? Since i was a kid i loved them guys maybe i seen them on top gun lol it was a great movie.

• 3 weeks later...
Nice helmets for sure i dont see a lot of them for sale are they hard to find never collected any helmets. Is the bottom one in post 2 a jolly rogers helmet? Since i was a kid i loved them guys maybe i seen them on top gun lol it was a great movie.

Just saw your post...do you mean the yellow one with the skull and bones? Yes that is from VF-84 early 70s. You don't see as many Navy helmets for sale these days like there used to be but they are around if you keep an eye out.

• 6 months later...

Cobra,

Is the IHADSS visor cut out like that custom for the HDU? or is that damage from a crash? Cant say Ive ever noticed that before on the IHADSS visor, but I really haven't looked much into that helmet.

Cobrahistorian

Mohawk,

The visor is specifically cut that way to fit the HDU (Helmet Display Unit) monacle over our right eye. You can kinda see it in my avatar.

Jon

I have spent a lot of time cutting visors for our Apache pilots. It is a custom fit and everyone is different. It is all done by hand with a Dremel.

...the life of an ALSE tech is sooooo unappreciated LOL

Well here is me wearing my HGU-56P in Iraq 07. I still have the helmet so its in my collection, lol It was since modified with sewing velcro on the chin strap to keep it from attacking me while flying, lol

post-9577-1314997376.jpg

• 3 months later...

My helmet from my blue-suit days in the early 1980s. By the mid-80s, I came to my senses and became an AH-64 pilot. Figured I better add that before the questions about the AH-64 picture near an A-10 helmet came up!

The helmet is a single visor (gull wing mod) HGU-26/P with MBU-5 mask.

HGU26Camo.jpg

My IHADSS in use, circa 1990. Not the greatest pic. Sorry for the writing all over it. I've had folks swipe my personal pics and post them as their own. I miss that helmet. Regrettably, the Army wanted it back -- one of the few items I had to turn in.

IHADSS.jpg

Ya can kind of see them in the left side of the picture.

Merry Christmas!!

Jim

I didn't even notice the Gentex boxes until I uploaded the picture. :P

post-184-1324736497.jpg