flight jacket...

oddmod

I picked this jacket up a couple of weeks ago.

I am curious to see what the flight jacket experts and enthusiasts have to say about this piece.

What do you guys (and maybe gals) think this jacket is ?

(Hint -- This is sort of trick question, maybe)

Thanks for looking,

JC

post-5673-1294006039.jpg

post-5673-1294006051.jpg

Well...stating the obvious, if it was an M422A it should have USN painted under the collar...but it doesn't. If It's a G1, apart from its label saying so, it should have a little slit for a pen in the right hand pocket. Later ones will have USN punched into the fly. But seeing as how it's trick question......?!

Sabrejet :think:

Hi JC, yes looks like a Navy G-1. Nice early Talon zipper but brown lining and green cotton inside pockets. Natural mouton collar with no USN stencil on the back-I am guessing maybe a 1950's vintage jacket??? Of course you posted this because of the paratrooper wing name tag-interesting to say the least. Looking forward to the makers tag-USN punched zipper fly? Kevin

Well...stating the obvious, if it was an M422A it should have USN painted under the collar...but it doesn't. If It's a G1, apart from its label saying so, it should have a little slit for a pen in the right hand pocket. Later ones will have USN punched into the fly. But seeing as how it's trick question......?!

Saberjet,

I should have included this picture earlier... also the pen slit is always on the left hand side....(insert UK/US driving joke here).

JC

post-5673-1294007497.jpg

So it is Oddmod..my bad! So...no USN punched into the fly? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that this is a privately procured, commercially-made jacket...Willis & Geiger..Sears & Roebuck etc?! Put us out of our misery!

So it is Oddmod..my bad! So...no USN punched into the fly? Are you suggesting, perhaps, that this is a privately procured, commercially-made jacket...Willis & Geiger..Sears & Roebuck etc?! Put us out of our misery!

"Put us out of our misery! "

Now, I ask, would that be sporting ?

I am really curious to see if anybody can nail this one before I show the tag.

JC

Ok, now truth be told, I am not exactly sure what the deal with this jacket is.

IT DOES appear to be from the early 1950's.

IT LOOKS to be an constructed almost exactly like a contract # 7823 G-1 jacket.... in fact if the mfg. tag where absent, I would have assumed it was a mil. issue jacket.

EVERYTHING IS ORIGINAL to the jacket, including the name plate.

THE NAME PLATE looks to have USN Para wings on it, BUT the name looks to be civilian (no rank, name in quotes).

It definitely has more wear than the rest of the jacket, but it appears to have only ever been sewn to this one jacket.

THE ONLY DIFFERENCES in construction between this jacket and a Government contract jacket is the GREEN pocket liners (Good eye Kevin T.), and the dark colored zipper stop at the bottom of the zipper.

I can only find a couple of references to the manufacturer on line (The Fedora Lounge.com and John Chapman), and from what I can tell no one is sure wither FLYING EQUIPMENT COMPANY made a limited number of contract jackets or wither they just made spec jackets for commercial sale.

Thanks everybody for throwing in with their opinions and observations... and if anyone knows more about these jackets, or has a picture of a Flying Equipment Co.jacket with a contract number on it, I'd like to know.

Does anyone know what the "Chicago 13" on the label refers too ?

My girlfriend has informed me that I am a flight jacket geek.

Happy New Year,

JC

post-5673-1294073043.jpg

Is this a G1 made for the Argentinian Navy ?

I remember watching an interview of the pilot who sunk the HMS Sheffield and IIRC he was wearing a GI jacket.

Hi All,

I'm a USN flight jacket enthusiast and recognize this style jacket. This USN jacket is a non-issue jacket based on the First G-1 model 55J14. As I understand, these particular jackets were made available for private purchase in Navy Exchanges as it is a non Mil Spec jacket. It was however made by a one time military contract jacket maker. It appears that some of these jackets made their way in & obvioulsy were used by service members. The give away is the lack of a true contract number & nonstandard Talon zipper assembly to that model jacket.

Personally I am not interested in collecting this same version of the G-1 jacket. As previously suggested, if someone were so inclined I suppose that one could pay upwards to $700.00 but I would think that may be a good value for a fine same era Mil Spec USN jacket. As in my mind, this jacket should simply be considered a vintage reproduction which lacks all those collectable bells & whistles!

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Dave

1st model G-1 .

Expensive ........$700 ish .

Ask Ethan , he has a customer for this ...

owen

Owen,

Ah, that's funny... I bought this from our good friend Ethan a couple of weeks back.

JC

Is this a G1 made for the Argentinian Navy ?

I remember watching an interview of the pilot who sunk the HMS Sheffield and IIRC he was wearing a GI jacket.

Andrei,

Are you pulling my leg ?

This jacket predates the Falklands War by about 30 yrs.

Interestingly enough however, I do recall seeing a G-1 several years ago that had "RCN" stenciled behind the collar ... I assume that stood for Royal Canadian Navy. Foolishly however I didn't buy it at the time.

JC

Hi All,

I'm a USN flight jacket enthusiast and recognize this style jacket. This USN jacket is a non-issue jacket based on the First G-1 model 55J14. As I understand, these particular jackets were made available for private purchase in Navy Exchanges as it is a non Mil Spec jacket. It was however made by a one time military contract jacket maker. It appears that some of these jackets made their way in & obvioulsy were used by service members. The give away is the lack of a true contract number & nonstandard Talon zipper assembly to that model jacket.

Personally I am not interested in collecting this same version of the G-1 jacket. As previously suggested, if someone were so inclined I suppose that one could pay upwards to $700.00 but I would think that may be a good value for a fine same era Mil Spec USN jacket. As in my mind, this jacket should simply be considered a vintage reproduction which lacks all those collectable bells & whistles!

Just my opinion.

Cheers, Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the input.

So you are saying this is a "PX" jacket.

Do you happen to know if "Flying Equipment Co." manufactured mil. spec. jackets too, or was it just a clearing house label ?

JC