Ca 1938 Army EM Dress Blues

GIl Sanow

When another AAMUCer submitted pix on his pre-war Army Air Corps EM's dress blue coat and trousers for publication in the last issue of FOOTLOCKER, the Editor (yours truly) chipped in with another, this time aMedical Corps CLP's with the correct visor cap and shoulder cords.

"Beast" suggested I post the latter here since none of these rare uniforms have ever been shown before. Here it is.

The coat, dated 1941, is dark blue with branch colored trim around the cuff and collar. The chevrons match too.

Except for the lack of the bi-swing pleat, the coat is identical in cut to the OD wool service coat of the time.

Collar insignia are the same too, and DIs were worn on the lapels. At lkeast half that I have encountered also have SSI's! One I once saw was from 1st Infantry Division. The SSI had the typical "Big Red One" on a dark blue background!

The visor cap resembles the EM style worn as early as 1903 with a black visor and chinstrap, but is clearly newer. The band around the cap is in branch colors.

Apparently shoulder cords were still authorized as they were in 1903 also. Clearly these are much later since they are of a synthetic material and not worsted.

A black leather belts was worn with this uniform.

Trousers were light "sky" blue with branch colored stripes.

Why are these so rare? Well, commissioned officers were required to have dress blues. EMs were not. They were authorized, but optional. Given that this was the tail end of the great depression, few men seem to have bought them.

Now, do other Forum members have examples to show? If so, please add them!

137_3766__2_.jpg

137_3767.jpg