Astronauts medal display

4STARCHRIS

4STARCHRIS

Thanks for the update and the link to his website showing his biography and orders and decorations.

Nest time I see him I will ask if I can get a closeup

Thanks Chris, that would be great.

Being far from an expert, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which badge/wing he is wearing between his ribbons and his space command pilot wings?

Thanks,

Jan

post-10563-1304619206.jpg

LuftStalg1

Thanks Chris!

I just got back from a 10 day hiatus visiting my boys in NM and have been doing a major overhaul on the balsa wood medal. More detailed carving, better paint job. Still not as great as the original but it will be much harder to tell the difference from a distance with the photo of the ribbon and new suspension job. Considering the chance / cost of finding / acquiring an original I am pretty happy with it and it makes a good display I think. Will post some more photos of the balsa wood planchet work I have done so far later.

What a great step by step tp you making a better display with the space CMOH. You are very talented. Thanks for the pics.

4starchris

LuftStalg1

Unfortunately the quality of the photo is too small to zoom in on and get a good look but it has the star and laurels to indicate a “Master” grade of something. It would obviously be one of many possible Air Force badges.

Thanks Chris, that would be great.

Being far from an expert, I was wondering if anyone could tell me which badge/wing he is wearing between his ribbons and his space command pilot wings?

Thanks,

Jan

LuftStalg1

Well I think I am done with the CSMOH rework and just put it all back under glass. Should be able to go another 15 or 20 years before needing another rework!?

Worked the eagle a bit, notched the edge of the wreath and smoothed it all before repainting, and of course the new suspension.

post-15093-1305405247.jpg

post-15093-1305405262.jpg

THAT is really fantastic work and dedication...great single point of reference for NASA awards. Under appreciated I think as well.....well done!

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1305419878.jpg

Here is a rare a unique pic of the astronauts all getting thye Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). They were given the medal by General McConnell.

The pic is with Ed White's DFC starting at $8,000.00.

4starchris

LuftStalg1

Wow, that’s a great candid shot. I did not zoom in on it to get a good look but now I see so many of the early rocketeers! I am more surprised that there are a couple I don’t recognize. Do you know who the woman is Chris? :think: She seems to be the center of attention.

post-387-1305419878.jpg

Here is a rare a unique pic of the astronauts all getting thye Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC). They were given the medal by General McConnell.

The pic is with Ed White's DFC starting at $8,000.00.

4starchris

• 3 weeks later...
4STARCHRIS

post-387-1307112615.jpg

Here are a few of Neil Armstrongs medals and decorations from his museum in Ohio.

4starchris

• 2 years later...

Well I just came across some new medals listed on the NASA site. Has anyone seen or heard of these being awarded yet? I hope they make them in the old "Matt finish" style and not the ugly shinny chrome looking style!

post-15093-0-69904600-1377203614.jpg

Well I just came across some new medals listed on the NASA site. Has anyone seen or heard of these being awarded yet? I hope they make them in the old "Matt finish" style and not the ugly shinny chrome looking style!

I had left NASA before these came out.

Thanks for posting. This is why I update things every now and then.

4starchris

In 2003, I had the honor and privilege to be a member of the Space Shuttle Columbia Recovery Team as a HAZMAT Tech. Welcomed into the NASA family, we were very moved by their gesture. For nearly 7 weeks, I bagged, tagged and carried in my pack many parts of Columbia over the wilds of east Texas.

Upon completion, NASA gave us Columbia pins. They were probably the same ones found in NASA gift shops. However, they were awarded to us for our service.

Regards,

W

post-525-0-01098800-1377218538.jpg

HolyHappiness

Sweet! My two passions mingle, spaceflight and militaria! Here's my precious.

The story: My dad is an ex-tanker pilot and is a current Delta pilot. At least 12 years ago he was the first officer of a stateside flight. While watching passengers board, he noticed Mr. Armstrong seat himself in first class. My dad double checked the roster and sure enough it read "N. Armstrong". Midway through the flight, my dad approached Mr. Armstrong and explained that his son, me, had an incredible amount of interest in the history of spaceflight. Neil proceeded to ask what my name was and asked for one of my dad's business cards. He then put: To Nathan, Good luck, Neil Armstrong. I value this signature above my signatures of Paul Tippets, Chuck Yeager, and the Doolittle raiders combined. This man is a true hero of mine. I just recently framed it.

IMG_0806.JPG

These are all great NASA stories. One of my greastest task was working with NASA and the collection of research on the effect of microgravity on the cardiovascular system over the life of the STS. I absolutely loved ever moment of this mission. The information I collected was used around the world in research facilities. laboratories, and universities.

It was one of our coubtries greast losses, not having a way to ferry men and material into and out of space. We lost our edge when we lost this.

I will go through some of my 40 boxes of flown in space and space related materials and post them here to see if any one would enjoy some of the unique items that were given to me over 30 years.

4starchris

In 2003, I had the honor and privilege to be a member of the Space Shuttle Columbia Recovery Team as a HAZMAT Tech. Welcomed into the NASA family, we were very moved by their gesture. For nearly 7 weeks, I bagged, tagged and carried in my pack many parts of Columbia over the wilds of east Texas.

Upon completion, NASA gave us Columbia pins. They were probably the same ones found in NASA gift shops. However, they were awarded to us for our service.

Regards,

W

I was one the sts recovery team out at Kennedy awaiting the return of this mission when the tragic accident happened. Being out on the runway at Kennedy we were probably the last to know that he shuttle had not made it. All we knew as we stood on the runway looking towards where the shuttle should of been coming from.... was no shuttle was coming. When did not know the 5 w's of it at the time. For the first time in all my recoveries, no shuttle. We never trained, exercised, or even discussed in all my years theprocedure of "no shuttle". It was a sad moment in my career.

4starchris

I was one the sts recovery team out at Kennedy awaiting the return of this mission when the tragic accident happened. Being out on the runway at Kennedy we were probably the last to know that he shuttle had not made it. All we knew as we stood on the runway looking towards where the shuttle should of been coming from.... was no shuttle was coming. When did not know the 5 w's of it at the time. For the first time in all my recoveries, no shuttle. We never trained, exercised, or even discussed in all my years theprocedure of "no shuttle". It was a sad moment in my career.

4starchris

That was a horrible day! Though I was never in the Military and never worked with NASA it has been a big part of my life as my family has been in the military since the Civil war, we only came to the US in the 1830's. And I remember watching some of the last Apollo launches, the Apollo/Soyuz as well as the Skylab. It had a big impact on me when I was a child. Were I was when I heard we lost Challenger is forever seared in my mind. And Columbia is no exception! To see the photos of a helmet and patch that were found is just amazing to think how something like that could reach earth virtually unscathed! It is a real punch in the gut to get knocked down off our pedestal. Much like Pearl Harbor, the Kennedy Assassination etc..... That is our history and we all have those few days in our lives that we never forget.

• 4 years later...

Great topic! I love reading it to the last reply.

Any new things to add? Chris perhaps, or Mark?

Regards

Herman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...