Astronauts medal display

4STARCHRIS

post-387-1293994585.jpg

This is the NASA DSM that belonged to astronaut Gus Grissom with two device, similar to oak-leaf clusters on military medals.

Enjoy

4starchris

OK Chris (and others), got one for you. What is the name of the device that is attached to the NASA medals that indicates a subsequent award? On some Army awards it is called the Oak Leaf Cluster. What is it called on NASA awards?

By the way, very nice thread on NASA awards, a topic near and dear to me. I work for NASA.

post-1424-1294144589.jpg

Just noticed whoever made this put the space MoH after the DSM.

Very nice set of ribbons. As you can see from Adm Shepard ribbons bar on his uniform his Space MOH is on top. Thanks for sharing and posting on the thread.

4starchris

"Contact light!" "Shutdown"

Rick

You are correct.

The first words said upon landing on the moon were

"Contact light.

Okay, engine stop.

ACA out of detent.

Modes control both auto, descent engine command override, off.

Engine arm off.

413 is in."

Then from Mission Control: "We copy you down, Eagle."

Eagle: "Houston, Tranquility Base here, the Eagle has landed."

4starchris

Thanks, Chris.

I take it that one of the devises on the type 2 medal represents that award?

Jim

Jim you are correct.

4starchris

post-387-1293997308.jpg

Gus Grissoms:

Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with Cluster, Distinguished Service Medal (NASA), three awards, General Thomas D. White Trophy and the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, Korean Service Medal with two branze stars, United Nations Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, American Defense Medal.

Chris,

This is an awesome thread- thanks for posting it. I thought that I might make a small correction though.

Here are the awards as I see them on the uniform in the photo posted above:

Top Row: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal w/ olc

2nd Row: Army Good Conduct, American Campaign, World War II Victory

3rd Row: Korea Service w/ 2 campaign stars, USAF Longevity ribbon, Korea UN Service medal.

Obviously, Grissom would have also been entitled to a National Defense Service Medal as well, though he was not in uniform prior to Pearl Harbor, so he wouldn't qualify for the American Defense medal. Grissom was born in 1926 and enlisted in the AAF in 1944.

Allan

well, here are my two Astronaut related items....not medals or awards, but in my eyes special nonetheless, mainly because I live in Canada where we don't encounter Apollo Astronauts very often, or Shuttle Astronauts for that matter....

the first is my helo flight helmet from my tour with the UN in Kosovo, signed by Buzz Aldrin. I met him at a book signing for a book he wrote, and apparently he typically doesn't sign anything but his books, but I asked him if he would sign my helmet (pre-deployment) for good luck and he agreed.

post-9167-1294154861.jpg

post-9167-1294155103.jpg

the second is a set of shuttle mission patches given to me by Canadian Astronaut Bob Thirsk, who is a local boy from a town just North of me, here on Vancouver Island

post-9167-1294155166.jpg

Rick

OK Chris (and others), got one for you. What is the name of the device that is attached to the NASA medals that indicates a subsequent award? On some Army awards it is called the Oak Leaf Cluster. What is it called on NASA awards?

By the way, very nice thread on NASA awards, a topic near and dear to me. I work for NASA.

No I do not know. Please tell us. I always wanted to know what they are called. Thanks for posting in the thread. I know that they are extremely hard if not impossible to find.

4starchris

well, here are my two Astronaut related items....not medals or awards, but in my eyes special nonetheless, mainly because I live in Canada where we don't encounter Apollo Astronauts very often, or Shuttle Astronauts for that matter....

the first is my helo flight helmet from my tour with the UN in Kosovo, signed by Buzz Aldrin. I met him at a book signing for a book he wrote, and apparently he typically doesn't sign anything but his books, but I asked him if he would sign my helmet (pre-deployment) for good luck and he agreed.

post-9167-1294154861.jpg

post-9167-1294155103.jpg

the second is a set of shuttle mission patches given to me by Canadian Astronaut Bob Thirsk, who is a local boy from a town just North of me, here on Vancouver Island

post-9167-1294155166.jpg

Rick

\

Great items.

You are correct. AWhen Buzz is at at book signing it is made very clear nothing other than the book is to be signed. That is made clear up front. I am glad he made an exception for you. Nice items. Thanks for posting on the thread.

4starchris

post-387-1294194181.jpg

Here is LTG Stafford ribbon bar. Notice the NASA specific second award device. Sorry its alittle out of focus.

General Stafford has completed 507 hours and 43 minutes in space flight and wears the Air Force Command Pilot Astronaut Wings. He has more than 6,800 flying hours. His military decorations and awards include the Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters, Distinguished Flying Cross with oak leaf cluster, Air Force Commendation Medal and Air Force Outstanding Unit Award ribbon with three oak leaf clusters. Presidential Medal of Freedom, NASA Distinguished Service Medal with oak leaf cluster, NASA Exceptional Service Medal with oak leaf cluster.

4starchris

post-387-1294194555.jpg

Here is a pic of the full uniform as on display. Again cant remeber exactly where. These have been in my collection for awhile.

4starchris

post-387-1294194902.jpg

Here is the general before the black and white picture in color with the ribbon bar clearly showing only one of the NASA medals awarded and no devices.

4starchris

No I do not know. Please tell us. I always wanted to know what they are called. Thanks for posting in the thread. I know that they are extremely hard if not impossible to find.

4starchris

OK, you are going to love this. It is called the NASA additional awards device.

The MIL spec for this thing identifies it as "Ribbon Attachment, Additional Awards, National Aeronautics and Space Administration".

The MIL spec for the Oak Leaf Cluster identifies it as "Ribbon Attachment, Oak Leaf Cluster".

Here is the MIL spec for the NASA additional awards device. As you can tell, the device is a representation of the NASA symbol, the

sphere with the stylized swoop.

ribbon_attachment.pdf

OK, you are going to love this. It is called the NASA additional awards device.

The MIL spec for this thing identifies it as "Ribbon Attachment, Additional Awards, National Aeronautics and Space Administration".

The MIL spec for the Oak Leaf Cluster identifies it as "Ribbon Attachment, Oak Leaf Cluster".

Here is the MIL spec for the NASA additional awards device. As you can tell, the device is a representation of the NASA symbol, the

sphere with the stylized swoop.

ribbon_attachment.pdf

This is great. I love this forum. What great information. Thanks for your continue postings on the thread. This is SWEEEEEEEEET!.

Thanks for your work with NASA from a former NASA guy.

4starchris

carbinephalen

Hello all,

Thought I would post a picture of my favorite, John Glenn

A complete list of Colonel Glenn's medals and decorations includes: the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Gold Stars and two Oak Leaf Clusters; the Air Medal with fifteen Gold Stars and two Oak Leaf Clusters; the Presidential Unit Citation; the Navy Unit Commendation (1952-53, Korea); NASA Distinguished Service Medal for first orbital flight; the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with one bronze star; the China Service Medal; the Navy Occupation Service Medal; the National Defense Service Medal; the Korean Service Medal with two bronze stars; the United Nations Service Medal; and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation. He was also awarded the Navy Astronaut Wings and the Marine Corps Astronaut Insignia.

Great topic! One of my favorites :thumbsup:

GlennJH.jpg

carbinephalen

A close second favorite, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Hope you all can help in ID'ing the awards he received! :think: Deciphering black and white ribbon bar shots is not one of my strong points, haha.

Buzz_Aldrin_black_and_white_dress_uniform_photo_portrait.jpg

This is one of my favorite pics of Buzz. I had dinner with him one noght and asked hime to sign it. I will have to dig it out and post it.

Thanks for all the great replies and postings. I did not think so many would find the thread interesting and just took a chance. Looks like it was worth it.

Keep the great stuff coming. Stories ,postings, pics.

4starchris

A close second favorite, Edwin "Buzz" Aldrin.

Hope you all can help in ID'ing the awards he received! :think: Deciphering black and white ribbon bar shots is not one of my strong points, haha.

Buzz_Aldrin_black_and_white_dress_uniform_photo_portrait.jpg

Is Aldrin wearing a Mickey Mouse watch in that pic? If so, VERY cool!!

I also have a shot of Pete Conrad's naval flight jacket:

3066341783_e8342cf2f3_b.jpg

great shot of the flight jacket.

thanks for sharing.

4starchris

Very nice topic!!!

Keep postings, please!!

BR, Ricardo.

Thank you my friend. Happy New Year to you down in Brazil. You are from outside the borders, anything particular you have always wanted to see along this line and never could? I would be glad to do my best to show ya.

4starchris