Astronauts medal display

4STARCHRIS

I thought I would try something new for the New Year. I will show the astronauts displays from around the country.

I dont think this has been down on the forum before.

I will make an attempt to show different uniforms and medals from the various astronauts I have had the pleasure of working over the years with my work with NASA.

post-387-1293994585.jpg

This is the NASA DSM that belonged to astronaut Gus Grissom with two device, similar to oak-leaf clusters on military medals.

Enjoy

4starchris

Gus Grissoms:

Awards: Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with Cluster, Distinguished Service Medal (NASA), three awards, General Thomas D. White Trophy and the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, Korean Service Medal with two branze stars, United Nations Service Medal, World War II Victory Medal, American Defense Medal.

These photos were downloaded from the internet about 5 years ago. Robert Sieck was in charge of the launch control facility at Cape Canaveral during the Apollo program. The medals are the Distinguished Service Medal and the Exceptional Service Medal.

post-311-1294010142.jpg

post-311-1294010240.jpg

post-387-1294021324.jpg

Here he is wearing the Nasa DSM rosette on his jacket.

Robert B. Sieck is director of Shuttle Processing, John F. Kennedy Space Center, effective January 22, 1995. In this capacity, he is responsible for the management of all space shuttle processing and launch activities at the Kennedy Space Center.

Sieck was born in St. Louis, Missouri, in September 1938. He earned his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering at the University of Virginia in 1960. He obtained additional postgraduate credits in mathematics, physics, meteorology, and management at both Texas A&M and the Florida Institute of Technology. He served three years in the U.S. Air Force, attaining the rank of first lieutenant. While in the Air Force, he worked as a meteorologist and was involved in the activation of the Titan II ICBM weapon system in Tucson, Arizona.

Sieck joined NASA at the Kennedy Space Center in 1964 as a Gemini Spacecraft Systems engineer. He served as an Apollo Spacecraft test team project engineer, Shuttle Orbiter test team project engineer, and in 1976 was named the Engineering Manager for the Shuttle Approach and Landing tests at Dryden Flight Research Facility in California. Returning to KSC in 1978, he became the Chief Shuttle Project Engineer for STS-1 through STS-7. He became the first KSC Shuttle Flow Director in 1983, and in February 1984 was appointed Director, Launch and Landing Operations, where he served as Shuttle Launch Director for eleven missions.

Sieck served as Deputy Director of Shuttle Operations (renamed Shuttle Processing in 1996) from April 1992 until January 1995. He was responsible for assisting with the management and technical direction of the Shuttle program at KSC. He also retained his position as Shuttle Launch Director, a responsibility he had held from February 1984 through August 1985, and then from December 1986 to January 1995. He was Launch Director for STS-26R and all subsequent Shuttle missions through STS-63. Sieck served as Launch Director for 52 Space Shuttle launches.

Sieck and his wife Nancy live in Titusville and have two adult children.

Awards:

NASA:

Exceptional Service Award - 1971 and 1981

Distinguished Service Medal - 1988

post-387-1294022180.jpg

SPECIAL HONORS: Congressional Medal of Honor (Space); Awarded two NASA Distinguished Service Medals, the NASA Exceptional Service Medal, the Navy Astronaut Wings, the Navy Distinguished Service Medal, and the Navy Distinguished Flying Cross;

post-387-1294023070.jpg

This is Admiral Shepards uniform as it is on display in Florida. The NASA Space Medal of Honor is the top ribbon. He wears NASA DSM type 1 and 2 ribbon bars.

4starchris

post-387-1293994978.jpg

Of all of the General and flag officer's items that you have posted, nothing has impressed me like this group. Gus Grissom was and is a hero of mine and to actually see some of his original items is amazing! Thank you very much for posting these!

Grissoms's Mercury capsule (Liberty Bell 7) was the only capsule to sink and not be recovered upon landing. In 1999, it was recovered and in 2000, I had the pleasure of seeing on display at the Children's museum here in Indianapolis. I hope you don't mind me adding a couple of photos from that display.

Some personal items of Grisson were still on board including his knife, 6 of the Mercury dimes and the dollar bill that he had signed.

post-203-1294022391.jpg

post-203-1294022401.jpg

Robswashashore

Very interesting. Really brings back memories of my childhood, when I followed every spaceshot from Commander Shepard on! Talk about the right stuff!

When I was watching these guys get launched into space I would never had thought at the time I would come to know and become friends with most of these guys. I still get togather with the moon walkers and other ex Apollo, Gemini, Mercury and Shuttle astronauts.

4starchris

I thought I would try something new for the New Year. I will show the astronauts displays from around the country.

I dont think this has been down on the forum before.

I will make an attempt to show different uniforms and medals from the various astronauts I have had the pleasure of working over the years with my work with NASA.

As I mentioned in the first post.

These are from displays from around the country. These are not in my collection and or possession other than the original photos of these displays.

Hope this clears things up.

Sorry if I miss lead anyone.

4starchris

Space items do bring high dollars. A named space item in today's market can fetch a pretty penny. I could not imagine what my NASA collection would be worth. 22 years of NASA items is in about 20 boxes.

Thanks for looking and posting.

4starchris

Leatherwringer

RR Auctions has a NASA Collectibles Auction coming up (Link HERE)

super cool stuff.....

The headset that sent and received the first transmission from the surface of another world Description

Presented is the very headset that received and transmitted the first words between a man on Earth and a man on the moon. Astronaut Charlie Duke wore this tangible piece of history on July 20, 1969, in his role as Mission Control Capsule Communication (CAPCOM) for Apollo 11 during the descent and moon landing. Simple in its design, the headset consists of a headband, earpiece and microphone, connected to a length of cord and a hand switch. The ‘push to talk’ switch bears the hand-engraved serial number of MSC-368, with a different number scratched out. According to Duke, that serial number had been crossed out and replaced with the current number when he used the headset more than 40 years ago.

3223601_1.jpg