Ships Bell, but for what class of ship?

I had this come in today and the gentleman has no idea what ship it was from. I know there is no way to know the shipbut are there size differences based on the class of the vessel? The bell measures 10 inches tall and 9 and three quarter inches across the mouth. Condition is very good, so now the question is do I polish it or leave it? What say you Navy types?

Cheers

Gary

post-96-1189038267.jpg

I had this come in today and the gentleman has no idea what ship it was from. I know there is no way to know the shipbut are there size differences based on the class of the vessel? The bell measures 10 inches tall and 9 and three quarter inches across the mouth. Condition is very good, so now the question is do I polish it or leave it? What say you Navy types?

Cheers

Gary

post-96-1189038292.jpg

It looks like a bell that every ship has at her quarterdeck to ring the XO/CO and high ranking officers aboard as well as striking the bell to notify the crew of the time. It's also used to notify the crew of a fire (a series of rapid striking).

It looks like a bell that every ship has at her quarterdeck to ring the XO/CO and high ranking officers aboard as well as striking the bell to notify the crew of the time. It's also used to notify the crew of a fire (a series of rapid striking).

That's pretty much right on. Ships would have a stationary bell with the ships name on the designated quarterdeck. However sometimes the quarter deck would be somewhere else on the ship depending how it was tied up at the dock/pier so a portable was used. This also may have been kept on the bridge when underway. This bell would have also been used at shore installations as well.

Nice find, Wish I had it so my wife could ring me onboard instead of ringing my neck. w00t.gif