Abn QM ovals

8240th A.U.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a QM oval I acquired out of an album a number of years ago. You can see the description that was with it. Has anyone seen this oval before and does the story make sense. thanks

LeadSafe461.jpg

Hi,

Personaly, I've never heard of a specific oval for the 8081st QM Co, but this black / grey oval could be legit (anyway, that's a very rare color combination).

Evidence anyone????

Eric

Here is a QM oval I acquired out of an album a number of years ago. You can see the description that was with it. Has anyone seen this oval before and does the story make sense. thanks

I've seen a lot of aerial delivery and rigger insignia over the years, but have never seen an oval attributed to the 8081st.

For background on the 8081st here are a couple of 1953 articles I posted on the Quartermaster Museum website several years ago:

http://www.qmfound.com/air_korea.htm

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/korea/fly...rtermasters.htm

http://www.qmmuseum.lee.army.mil/korea/the...te_the_book.htm

Captain Cecil W. Hospelhorn, the commander of this unit appears in uniform in two period videos.

In this YouTube video, Enough And On Time - The Big Picture, he appears around 11:38 minutes wearing the Class A uniform, but his parachute badge doesn't appear to have an oval behind it:

In this Vimeo video I posted a few months ago for the Quartermaster Museum he is in fatigue uniform with no evidence of badges or ovals:

http://vimeo.com/14407956

• 1 month later...

LeadSafe461.jpg

This oval has been listed as an "unknown" for years. The Jan-Mar, 1969 ASMIC newsletter, and the unknown section, #32 of

Clyde Osborn's monograph on Ovals. This posting may finally begin to shed some light on it. I have one unconfirmed ID of it being the 303rd ASA, but I don't give that much hope.

Thanks again for the posting

craig_pickrall

That is the first reference to Clyde Osborn's Oval Catalog I have seen in probably 20 or more years. You may be a new recruit here but you sure aren't a rookie. Welcome aboard.

I have Osborn's catalog in a binder with a similar work by David Levesque. Do you have that as well?

That is the first reference to Clyde Osborn's Oval Catalog I have seen in probably 20 or more years. You may be a new recruit here but you sure aren't a rookie. Welcome aboard.

I have Osborn's catalog in a binder with a similar work by David Levesque. Do you have that as well?

Thanks for the welcome. No, I do not have Daves work.

Thanks again

Thanks for the input. The 8081 oval which I posted came from an older collection of ovals I purchased . While this collector was a contributor to Bragg and Turners Para wing books I do not know where his ID on this piece came from. I had once seen a reference to this piece in an ASMIC article by Les Hughes. He had interviewed a veteran of this unit and his recollection was their oval was all black. The mystery continues

• 2 years later...

Les Hughes wrote a article (July-September 1986 ASMIC Trading Post) on the Unit and there insignia. The jump wing oval worn by the unit was solid black.

firefighter

According to Hudspeath book on Beret insignia, I know it's not an oval but they usually matched, a flash with Gray center and black boarder is for the 3rd BDE, 1st Cav Div.

1SG_1st_Cav

The only Airborne Brigade of the 1st Cavalry Division was the 1st Brigade. How can you make a correlation between a flash and an oval? The 3rd Brigade was never Airborne. Danny

post-34986-0-97041700-1362688666.jpg

The 3rd Bde 1st Cav Div FLASH, this bit of insignia would only be in a form of a flash and worn on the Black beret. Like the majority of unit flashes of this type ie for units not on Jump or Air Assault status, it would not have a matching oval.

firefighter

I always thought the flash would match the oval.I have an oval list somewhere but can't put my fingers on itDriving me crazy.

• 5 years later...

The 549th was an Air Delivery unit from circa 1956 until inactivation in 1974. They were based in Japan (assigned the Far East Command).