Early Pre WW2 emblems

teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

I likely do not spend enough time or looking at or for these M37's, when I saw these... thought they were unique. Shape of the wings, size & position of Cuba, the eagles feet/claws and the proportion and detail outline of the northern hemisphere. Thoughts.....?

1937_enlisted_002.jpg

1937_enlisted_007.jpg

Darrell,

Nice find! This pattern of M1937 emblems jumps right out at you when you compare them to a standard set of M37's, dont they? You might not remember, but several months back I asked if you were aware of this pattern? I believe I referred to them as the "tall bird" emblems. I have two sets of the dress type in this pattern and was also aware that they existed for service uniforms from conversations with Robert E. It's obvious that your set is for service, so an especially nice find for you. I've been unsuccessful at finding a service set so far. On a scale of 1-10 for availability, I rank them right at the top, with a score of 9. They are scarce and a great addition to any collection.

What can I tell you about them? Both of my dress sets are vet acquired and both men were early WWII enlistment Marines, as in early January and February 1942. They may possibly pre-date WWII by a short period, but my honest guess is they're most likely private purchase emblems made and sold during the big influx of Marines in 1942. Because they aren't hallmarked, but because of the superior details in the eagle's head, claws, etc.,my guess is they're the handiwork of Hillborn & Hamburger. Until we find a carded set or hallmarked emblems, who knows for sure, though? They certainly are a beautiful pattern!

If you need better photos of the dress sets, let me know.

s/f, Gary

post-84-1189045221.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Gary, thanks for the great review & info. When I first spotted them on ebay... thought they were unique, and felt for sure someone would go after them, but never happened. Not bad for 9 bucks and postage. And going into think tank posts of yesterday.... would agree with scale ranking of a 9 ;)

The cap emblem you have shared is it hallmarked? I have a hallmarked cap emblem of the period, however the feet are of a different proportion?

s/f Darrell

Darrell,

Ah ha! So deals can still be found on eBay! That was a very nice find and an especially nice price for that set. They are scarce. Nice one!

Both cover emblems are unmarked and came with the collar sets from the vet and the vet's widow, respectively. Both are straight up WWII with zinc "flower" rollers. The top set belonged to PFC Arden Wolfe, Hq&Hq Co., 1st Marines, enlistment Jan 1942 and the bottom set from Cpl Carl Brunner, 24th Marines, enlistment Sep 1942 (not Feb '42 as I thought). The only hallmarked dress EM cover emblems I have so far are Robbins, Attleboro with Sterling mark and H-H with Sterling mark that could be either dress or service because the finish is gone on that one. What hallmark do you have on your M37 cover emblem?

s/f, Gary