turmanator

USMC Pistol Lanyard

Listed as a WWII USMC Lanyard...

Is It?

mc01.jpg

David Turman

Semper Fi !

"Not as Lean, not as Mean, but still a Marine!"

turmanator, around 20 years ago I bought 10 of these mint lanyards for $3.00 each. Back then they were known as the "What the hell are these?" lanyards. Sold eight at various OGCA shows, kept two and in the past few years they are now known as "WWII USMC" lanyards and bringing a huge price premium. I think the jury is still out as far as if they really are USMC lissued lanyards. BTW. Member Artu44 refers to these fondly as "The Dog Leash" lanyard.

Bob Law

post-299-1293811918.jpg

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Listed as a WWII USMC Lanyard...

Is It?

mc01.jpg

These are discussed here and the consensus seems to be no proof whatsoever that they are USMC or even US military items.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

donation2019.gif

The guy references "Grunt Gear" as a source....

Thanks for the heads up...

David Turman

Semper Fi !

turmanator, My advice is to buy one of these lanyards if you can get it for a steal, but do not pay top dollar for it.

Bob

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his country" George Pattons speech to the Third Army.

donation2008.gif

Hello Guys !

I would just add to what has been said that I got my two mint "USMC" lanyards earlier than Bob. I got them in the early 70s for few bucks and the advertisement on "The Shotguns News" was already about "USMC lanyards"... By the way they were a little more expensive than the Hickok ones that were found and sold by tons at that time...

All the best for the New Year !!!!

Fausto

I believe them to be USMC manufacture, but not really used. MCEB and Depot was notorious for rushing things and not sending them to be used. Still hoping to find that missing trunk of Depot documents that will prove or in many cases disprove these items. I am happy to have egg on my face to find out my books were wrong when they went to print. New info comes to light everyday.

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

IMHO, it's a military US item but there is no evidence it would be an USMC issue nor documantation about. Try to see in period pic if USMC people used to led their dogs in the jungle with this lanyard. Leather didn't last enough in PTO.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Wow- Right from the horses mouth! :thumbsup:

David Turman

Semper Fi !

Here my beloved Buck wearing that lanyard.

post-67-1293823082.jpg

Wow, it's huge. It seems a bit too big for a pistol lanyard, no? :think:

David Turman

Semper Fi !

Wow, it's huge. It seems a bit too big for a pistol lanyard, no? :think:

Maybe it doubled as a lasso to 'hog-tie' captured Japanese soldiers ;) :think:.

Tim

donation2013.gif

Holy crap! :crying:

For something that is not even "proven" or even what it is!

David Turman

Semper Fi !

I hate to bring this up again but has there been any more discussions on this USMC lanyard?

I recently came across 3 of them in some military surplus that had not been disturbed since the 60's. It was basically mixed in with USMC suspenders and almost missed it. I've had several "experts" all say that it IS a USMC lanyard and pretty expensive. I've had the $100 mark quoted several times even considering that there is some damage to the "hook". Not saying these are correct but it is obvious that they do have value to someone. Anyone have more info?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds good to me! This was ALL in with a tremendous amount of WWII USMC items so I find it hard to believe these are not USMC issue. But, when there's no evidence...well, there's no evidence, I guess. I'll probably be selling two and hanging on to one.

Also, one collector said that the brass clasp on the lanyard is the same as the one on the USMC M41 pack which there were plenty in my surplus lot. My clasp was there but it was missing the little piece of flex metal. Easy fix now.

Thanks for the input.

Steve

I'd say this Marine MP looks to be wearing one of these lanyards. Picture from forum member usmc-collector post.

post-7194-0-81822900-1421733651.jpg

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

A1C Matthew Seidler, Delta Company, 466th EOD killed in action. 05 Jan 12 at 1600L while conducting mounted route clearance patrols in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He turned 24 two days before his death. Cousin, Soldier, Hero.

Another MP group wearing what looks to be wide lanyards. Picture from forum member Jaroslav.

post-7194-0-75288700-1421733538.jpg

donation2019.gif
donation2018.gif
donation2017.gif
donation2016.gif
donation2015.gif
donation2014.gif
donation2013.gif
donation2012.gif
donation2011.gif
donation2010.gif
donation2009.gif
donation2008.gif

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.