Senior Army Aviator Wings

vonmazur

Gentlemen: I was wondering if the experts could tell me something about the shield on Army Aviator Wings. (Called a "Badge" by the Army!)

I bought a set when I was comissioned at Ft Rucker, the shield was rounded. When I was "elevated" to Senior Aviator in the Connecticut Guard, the gave me a funky cheap set with a flat shield, silver plated....What is up with that? Where can I find a real set with a rounded shield contour, and made of real silver??

I cannot find a set anywhere. :crying: If anyone knows, please let me know as well....

Dale

Dale, I had a set that had the 'rounded' shield on it, too, but had to purchase mine. Think they came from Sugarman's in San Antonio. Mine actually got blown off my cap during a 122Mm rocket attack at Evans in 69. Knocked me on my butt, too! Never found the wings, but the clutch backs were still inside my cap when I came to. Bookie

Bookie: Thanks for replying...I lost an AKAI tape deck and stereo gear at Cu Chi from the same rockets....the Army replaced them!!

IS Sugarmans still in business??

Dale

Without a picture, I'm not certain which wing you're looking for. If it's like the one shown below, your best bet would be eBay and use "sterling army wings" as your search criteria. This morning it returned 2-3 versions of the this wing with the Sr. Pilot star. Looks like the going rate is about $25.

For many folks in this forum, WWII is recent history. However, I've found that later sterling wings are fairly difficult to find. That's probably due to several factors....original owners still have them, sterling started being hoarded when we dropped silver coinage about 1965, and its use was finally done in by the speculative blow off about 1979-80 when the Texas Hunt brothers tried to corner the sterling market worldwide driving the price to about $50/oz for a short time.

Wings by Balfour or Robbins would likely be the most desirable, although most of them look pretty much alike to my eye.

PS

post-3515-1293802861.jpg

Hi Paul, if I may chime in here, the wings pictured have the flat faced shield. The ones being searched for has a shield that has a rounded or slightly domed surface. Wish I had a photo to share with you. Thanks for giving Dale a hand. Cheers, Bookie

See Bookie, that's why our wives have trouble buying something for us!

Paul

Paul, I'm starting to resemble that remark! Bookie

Gentlemen: I was wondering if the experts could tell me something about the shield on Army Aviator Wings. (Called a "Badge" by the Army!)

I bought a set when I was comissioned at Ft Rucker, the shield was rounded. When I was "elevated" to Senior Aviator in the Connecticut Guard, the gave me a funky cheap set with a flat shield, silver plated....What is up with that? Where can I find a real set with a rounded shield contour, and made of real silver??

I cannot find a set anywhere. :crying: If anyone knows, please let me know as well....

Dale

Dale,

Attached are a couple pic of my wings, the ones on the issue card were my issue wings when I graduated in 67. It has a flat shield, the other two I purchased at the PX and both of them have a shield that is more pronounced and rounded. Incidently I had the honor to fly a Thai OH-13 with a m-60 mounted on the skid, we used it for burm patrol at Bear Cat in 68. The rest of the time I was in a UH-1C.

Terry

post-6022-1293896157.jpg

Dale,

Attached are a couple pic of my wings, the ones on the issue card were my issue wings when I graduated in 67. It has a flat shield, the other two I purchased at the PX and both of them have a shield that is more pronounced and rounded. Incidently I had the honor to fly a Thai OH-13 with a m-60 mounted on the skid, we used it for burm patrol at Bear Cat in 68. The rest of the time I was in a UH-1C.

Terry

Additional pic of wings.

post-6022-1293896232.jpg

post-6022-1293896253.jpg

Cobrahistorian

There are still a few jewelers around Rucker (Enterprise side) that do Sterling wings. My wife got me a pair in 2007 when I got mine. The shield isn't rounded like yours, but they are available.

I agree though, Senior Aviator wings (pinback, Sterling) are pretty hard to find these days. I'm restoring a uniform right now and need to find a pair myself!

Jon

In a couple of those photos, the wings look gold colored. Is that from the flash? Or is it that they are Department of the Army civilian pilots wings?

In a couple of those photos, the wings look gold colored. Is that from the flash? Or is it that they are Department of the Army civilian pilots wings?

Lee,

From the light used when picture taken. All three are silver frosted wings.

Terry