The Best Wings of 2010 - Post your favorite here.

John Cooper

My fellow collectors as the year draws to a close I thought it might be of some interest for us to post what you consider the favorite wing you added to your collection and why.

Cheers

John

It was a good year for wings for me. This pair stands out in my mind, because I was able to pick up both last summer, from two different sellers

within only about six weeks of each other.

Bottom is sterling. top is earlier non-sterling.

Happy new year to all, and good collecting luck in 2011!

Cheers, John

post-12439-1293747630.jpg

Great wings everyone - remember it does not need to be a holy grail wing but just the one you bought in 2010 you felt was the most special to you.

Cheers

John

Here are a couple of attributed wings I've posted before in another thread in a different setup. Although I don't focus on attributed pieces, I do try and get a decent picture of the man when he might have been wearing the wings. Sometimes family members are a bit cautious about sharing information of a more personal nature and I can't argue with that.

It still brings up the difficult question of how do you firmly tie an attribution to an inanimate artifact? You could engrave the basic data on the back, but you could do that on anything. H-m-m, it's a problem, isn't it? Putting the wings with what pictures I can obtain is my way of doing it.

Col. Harry Korger, an airman who figured prominently, although largely unrecognized, in the 1943 Ploesti raid. BTW Kurt has done a fine job in the Grouping thread sharing what he has from this airman's estate. Link to thread

post-3515-1293813338.jpg

Well, for me the choice is not a difficult one.

Being the proud owner of only two wings at this stage (the other one is a navigator wing), this one is definitely my favourite of 2010

A J.R. Gaunt Bombardier

post-9199-1293818359.jpg

post-9199-1293818368.jpg

But I most say that I am almost as happy with being prevented, by several very helpful forum members, from getting seriously burned on some fakes!! :)

Well, for me the choice is not a difficult one.

Being the proud owner of only two wings at this stage (the other one is a navigator wing), this one is definitely my favourite of 2010

A J.R. Gaunt Bombardier

post-9199-1293818359.jpg

post-9199-1293818368.jpg

But I most say that I am almost as happy with being prevented, by several very helpful forum members, from getting seriously burned on some fakes!! :)

Congratulations!!! I see today is your 1 year anniversary for joining the forum!

oz :bravo:

Congratulations!!! I see today is your 1 year anniversary for joining the forum!

oz :bravo:

Yes it is!! Many thanks!

And I thought everybody had forgotten. :blushing:

Oh and of course my daughter, who was born four days ago, is my biggest prize of the year.

A delayed Christmas present! Congratulations!! :thumbsup:

The wing is a beauty!

More great wings!!!

BTW Airborne wings as well as any US military wings you feel were the most special you pick up this year are welcome!

John

Here are a couple of attributed wings I've posted before in another thread in a different setup. Although I don't focus on attributed pieces, I do try and get a decent picture of the man when he might have been wearing the wings. Sometimes family members are a bit cautious about sharing information of a more personal nature and I can't argue with that.

It still brings up the difficult question of how do you firmly tie an attribution to an inanimate artifact? You could engrave the basic data on the back, but you could do that on anything. H-m-m, it's a problem, isn't it? Putting the wings with what pictures I can obtain is my way of doing it.

Col. Harry Korger, an airman who figured prominently, although largely unrecognized, in the 1943 Ploesti raid. BTW Kurt has done a fine job in the Grouping thread sharing what he has from this airman's estate. Link to thread

Thanks Paul! If you ever decide to part with these, I know someone who would like to have them ;)

Here are my favorites.... Harry's lead POW wings from Stalag Luft I ( and his USAF Navigator wing ).

Kurt

post_105_1290562210.jpg

post_105_1290562221.jpg

These are defiantely my favorite wings from 2010. Maybe not that exciting to a wing collector by themselves, but as a uniform grouping collector I think they are pretty neat.

Amico pilot wings attributed to a P-47 pilot in the 346th Fighter Squadron, 350th Fighter Group of the 12th AAF. They look great on the uniform :thumbsup:

post-1095-1294435083.jpg

post-1095-1294435094.jpg

Great additionas to the thread guys! I love that P-47 group... the P-47 is a favorite of mine!

Cheers and thanks all for posting!

John