An estimated 1,000 US WWII veterans die every day

Bob Hudson

This story is from the San Diego Union. The full story is here: http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20...s_1j02skim.html

Attendees at a reunion of the Army's 10th Mountain Division, and other WWII veterans groups can't combat looming reality

By John Wilkens

STAFF WRITER

September 2, 2007

They made history and gradually they're becoming it. Every day in America, an estimated 1,000 World War II veterans die.

DARYL PEVETO / Union-Tribune

Howard Harvey's skis are decorated with the insignia of the 10th Mountain Division and the name of its most celebrated mountain conquest, Belvedere.

The strong bonds they formed with each other when they were young and the world needed saving have spawned reunions in every corner of the country for a half-century now. But that, too, is changing.

Take the 10th Mountain Division, a storied Army unit that used rock-climbing gear and skis to defeat the Germans in Italy near the end of the war. The group's national reunion in Colorado last month was billed as probably the last one ever – at least the last one organized by the veterans themselves.

About 300 veterans attended, men in their 80s and 90s mostly, including Howard Harvey of San Diego. They're counting on their descendants – about 300 of them also attended – to keep the 10th Mountain's legacy alive.

“It's time for the next generation to take over,” Harvey said.

Wow, every time I read an article like the one above it really sends me into a state of depression. It's really sad to hear the staggering statistics on how many vets die a day. I wonder how many there are left right at this moment across the world....

- Jeff

Seeing how this was brought up I have to post a youtube link for a old veteran named Bob Hickey this just breaks my heart

And one more about the WWII Vet not calling himself a Hero Any Veteran peacetime or not in my eyes is a hero